New member from Ontario, Canada

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 57692

Reaction score
Hi,

I found your site on a search engine called Startpage (it puts less ads then google)

Very Grateful !

Also saw the tread for Acronyms and Abbreviations -- Very Grateful !
Was looking at a few posts and couldn't understand them as I didn't know about the acronym's etc... at the time.

About soap making, a long time ago ( 10 ish ??? years), I did try some hot process soap in a crock pot, and it was a horrible mess / disaster; that is what I recall, and at the time, I have no idea why, but I never threw it out. So after doing some cleaning in the basement, I found it. It was not pretty. I had put it in a paper bag, and the oils melted the paper bag, it was in a plastic container which was oily, other then that there was no melting, and it was a deep orange/ brownish colour. No mold, no smell, other then an 'old' smell you find on stuff you forgot in a basement. Well this time, it went out in the garbage, but finding it triggered the original thoughts and desires on soap making.

I start searching and found you, and I am eager to spend hours reading your site and embark on a soapy adventure!

Thank you! For your wonderful site!

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your story. That deep orange-ish color was DOS - a form of rancidity in soap. You were right to throw it out! I’m sure your next batches will be much better.

FWIW, I did hot process only for the first 7-8 years of my soaping journey. After finally trying cold process, I now believe it is actually easier for beginners than hot process. You simply mix, pour into the mold, and wait for it to firm up. No watching for different stages or fussing with the crock pot, and no glopping in a thick batter that is lumpy and filled with air holes.

I’d encourage you to give CP a try. We’d love to see what you make!

Thank you for the welcome.

I'm really curious to try cp, and maybe after I get a working cp, go back and try hp.

Back