New little man

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL Abby used to be able to sniff out a jar of lard a mile away. She got into it once or twice. Gross.

I streamed the hose going back and forth through the yard for about 5 minutes. That tired Henry out for a sec. And I really mean just a second, but then back to it. I figured all that running at full speed would do the trick. Nnnnnope.

Henry weighed in at a whopping 50lbs Friday night, as opposed to 34 two weeks ago 😲

Having a bit of trouble with the potty training. One friend suggested puppy pads...I think he would eat them. I have him in a crate while I am at work. At first I had it all snuggly lined with some fluffy mats and bed. It was so nice in there, I wanted to climb in and snuggle up with him. Until I came home from work one day and he pooped and got it everywhere. Poopy Henry, poopy blankets, and worse: the poopy bed. I can't get mad because I know he is in there for a long time. But I felt so accomplished for a few days getting him on a morning schedule before work. I gotta keep reminding myself that he is still a puppy, even though his poops look like a full-grown dog.

I came home and smelled the disaster immediately. I had no choice but to let him out of the crate to go outside. He jumped on me (cause naturally he is excited to see me)...jumping all over me, poop all over my uniform, skid marks from the living room floor to the porch floor...stepping on my new shoes. Now I never in my life have spent $200 on shoes, unless it was for like 5 pairs, but these are specially made for plantar fasciitis. Second time wearing them and I already have to wash them, now they fit weird (I didn't dry them).

He gets along with the cats well enough I guess. He doesn't try to kill them LOL. He is afraid of my older cat, so I presume she nailed him at least once. And she will stand her ground hissing and growling while he tries to approach her...shaking LOL. My younger cat will take off running when Henry notices her, and that invokes the chase mode. But she copies the older cat in her habits and will stand at the laundry room door and stand her ground for a bit before she escapes out the cat door into the garage.

I keep the cats bowls in the garage because if they are out he can gobble it up in one bite. Its like caviar to him for some reason.

He was eating like a starved maniac when I first got him. So I got him one of those puzzle bowls to eat from because he would devour the whole meal then vomit from eating so fast. But then he mauled the bowl LOL. But he is actually good at eating at a normal pace now. He doesn't even finish it all at once anymore. I think he was in a mode where he was worried about his next meal when I first got him.

He discovered that he can get on the sofa. Before he used to just put his paws up on it and gnaw on a bone or toy. Once he got up for the first time... it is now his regular spot. I fell asleep on the sofa yesterday afternoon and woke up to him snuggled up behind me.

Speaking of bones. He has been digging in my raised-bed gardens. I have four moveable ones, so I am going to relocate them since I am in the middle of replanting anyway. He uses them as stepstools to look into the house, so I think moving them to along the fence will solve that. My non-moveable beds that are out in the yard that have my newly planted carrots, lettuce, and brussels sprouts are favorite spots for him. He pulled out a brussels sprouts plant and buried his bone there. I replanted the plant, but I don't know if its going to survive. I guess I am going to fence off the garden area.

Oh my gosh, Henry is so much work LOL

I am experimenting with you tube, hope this works

Fun with water

What is it Henry?
So great!
Had a boxer once who did the same thing, just loved the water hose. She also loved it when I "accidentally" dropped ice on the floor. She would bat it around and chase it.
My daughter has a pit bull. It is extremely affectionate, loves/destroys her chew toys, but doesn't know her own strength and has a strong prey drive. So it is critical to work with these dogs for obedience. "Drop" is a critical command, may save the neighbor's cat or small dog from harm.

Enjoy your dog, he sounds like a pleasure to have.

So my 5 month old 60lb beast aka Henry:

Ok, so he's not really a beast except in size. He is so sweet, but is so big that I have to keep reminding myself that he is still a puppy.

Finally stopped having accidents in the crate thank goodness. I would rather have to clean it up off the tile floor than to pull the crate apart and clean all of its poopy contents. This happened less and less. Finally I just kept his food bowl in there, even without food. And I guess he just started associating the crate as his bed, which is what I was hoping for.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why he was still having accidents on the floor, which only happened when I wasn't paying attention. Sometimes he would even make it to the back door and go right there, so I know that he knows where he should go, just wasn't quite making it.

So the other day I was out in the back yard cleaning up. He was in the house with the slider closed. He got the slider open, and before I knew it he barreled through the patio screen to get to me. Now I have a big gaping hole in my screen that he freely goes in and out of LOL. Funny/not funny. Before though, every time I let him out he would bark and whine like crazy to get back in. Now that he has freedom to go in and out as he pleases, he spends most of his time out. I guess he just needed the option LOL. After I get the screen fixed, I guess I will just have to leave the back door open for him. Otherwise he drives me insane in the house all day, and I don't like to keep him crated while I am home...Unless it's nap time. He definitely needs nap time cause he will just keep going and going without a break.

But when he is done with his nap, he has figured out how to pounce the crate from one end of the room to the other and back.

I have been home all weekend with no accidents. It wasn't that he didn't know WHERE to go, he just didn't know how to tell me that he NEEDED to go. He just lets himself out LOL.

He is still digging around in my gardens, albeit a little less destructively. His favorite spot is the bed with the papaya because it has mulch in it. I keep finding his bones in there. He recently got one of my baby corn plants, so yesterday I planted another. Hopefully it will catch up to the remainder of the plants and it won't go to waste because they all have to be pollinated by the others.

Early on he was infatuated with playing with empty plant pots, and I let him, so now I blame myself that he thinks that any plant pot is fair game, empty or not. He got my prized coffee plant that was still in a starter pot and I found my plant across the other side of the yard minus the pot. It seems unharmed and I repotted it in a big sturdy pot.

He eats any baby banana plants that pop up...I guess that is ONE way to control the banana plant population LOL.

I got him a pool and he LOVES IT!!

He knows how to sit, and recently learned how to lay down from the sit position, but he won't lay down on command without sitting first. And he will "take nicely" when I give him something to take from my hand.

OMG he is so smart. He knows what his "peanut butter ball" is...its a kong that I fill with peanut butter and snacks. So when I tell him to get the peanut butter ball, he will bring it to me to fill it. That thing is a life saver...it keeps him occupied for a good half hour LOL. He can fetch: but he brings it back and it is apparently more fun for me to grab it from him than to drop it (still working on that command).

Yesterday I layed down on the sofa to watch tv, which I hardly ever do. He got so excited that I was laying on "his" sofa that he mauled me with kisses and jumped all over me like a crazy dog bringing me all his slobbery toys, which would have been cuter if it were an average sized 5 month old puppy LOL. I layed there thinking that he might eventually settle down, but it lasted like this for over an hour.

His head is getting fat LOL. Definite bully fat head.

tempImagee0hZlY.jpg

Henry doing his best "please adopt me" pose [sad music playing in the background] LOL. He never destroys anything...unless it is in his crate. This used to be a cozy man-cave with blankets, a dog bed, and a cover over the top. Literally has mauled it all.

I can't stand to hear his nails on the plastic, so I got a rug that fit perfectly on the bottom. He started ripping that apart too. So empty crate it is.

I had a queen-size throw blanket on top and he managed to pull it through and basically weave it through the crate bars. I had to get my friend to get it out. I tried cutting it, but it was so knotted up that it was impossible.

Normally he has stuff inside to keep him busy, this was just a quick time-out while I had food delivered today. He barks like a full-grown dog even though he is only 6 months old LOL. And is big enough to scared the lights out of anybody, even though he only wants to play lol. Although I was sitting in the livingroom...right next to the front door. He started barking and snorting etc like a maniac. I looked out the window and Amazon was driving away...he left a tiny little box. Can't believe he heard that. I was right there and didn't hear it LOL.

tempImagegtaYTx.jpg

New thing he started doing this week...lifting his leg to pee. The funny part to this story is that this morning he was patrolling the back yard. He sniffs the fence and then lifts the wrong leg and pees straight into the air instead of on the fence, which is what I presume his intention was. So either we can chalk this up to inexperience at marking his territory, or he was just being polite and not peeing on my new fence LOL.

I can't even remember the last time he had an accident in the house, and he has a weird superpower of holding his bladder as long as I am at work. I have had to stay late a few times and naturally expected an accident, but nothing.

I bought him a toy box, which we have fun with lol. I put the toys in the box and he promptly takes them out.

He is such a good boy. I got a good doggy. And I might be a little biased, but I think he is so handsome.

Henry doing his best "please adopt me" pose [sad music playing in the background] LOL. He never destroys anything...unless it is in his crate. This used to be a cozy man-cave with blankets, a dog bed, and a cover over the top. Literally has mauled it all.

I can't stand to hear his nails on the plastic, so I got a rug that fit perfectly on the bottom. He started ripping that apart too. So empty crate it is.

I had a queen-size throw blanket on top and he managed to pull it through and basically weave it through the crate bars. I had to get my friend to get it out. I tried cutting it, but it was so knotted up that it was impossible.

Normally he has stuff inside to keep him busy, this was just a quick time-out while I had food delivered today. He barks like a full-grown dog even though he is only 6 months old LOL. And is big enough to scared the lights out of anybody, even though he only wants to play lol. Although I was sitting in the livingroom...right next to the front door. He started barking and snorting etc like a maniac. I looked out the window and Amazon was driving away...he left a tiny little box. Can't believe he heard that. I was right there and didn't hear it LOL.

View attachment 71699

New thing he started doing this week...lifting his leg to pee. The funny part to this story is that this morning he was patrolling the back yard. He sniffs the fence and then lifts the wrong leg and pees straight into the air instead of on the fence, which is what I presume his intention was. So either we can chalk this up to inexperience at marking his territory, or he was just being polite and not peeing on my new fence LOL.

I can't even remember the last time he had an accident in the house, and he has a weird superpower of holding his bladder as long as I am at work. I have had to stay late a few times and naturally expected an accident, but nothing.

I bought him a toy box, which we have fun with lol. I put the toys in the box and he promptly takes them out.

He is such a good boy. I got a good doggy. And I might be a little biased, but I think he is so handsome.
Henry is very handsome. He looks so loving and sweet! You got a marvelous dog and Henry got a great home!!

There are doggy doors made to fit sliders, might help solve some problems. I can't imagine not having doggy doors for my dogs, they constantly run in and out
Yeah, I just leave the door open for now. The only problem is the cats getting out, which they never had a desire to before, but now that they have discovered it... try finding two black cats late at night LOL. Betty (in my pic) is only white underneath. The other one is all black with tips of white on her paws.

I know a doggie door would solve it, but my sliders need to be replaced too, so its a which comes first situation. Still paying off my fence so getting a new slider is out of the question. So the cats get banned to the bedroom or garage while he is out romping about.

My friend at work has a bully his size in an apartment. I can't imagine. He has too much energy to be confined to a second floor apartment. She takes him to dog parks and to the beach, but how many times a week do you honestly feel like doing that? Plus a wet, sandy dog getting into your car every time?

Latest posts

Back