New little man

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waking up today with pupster in the crate was exactly what we needed. No chaos, no mayhem...just a puppy in a comfy crate. I even made it into a cave with a blanket over just the top of the crate because that seemed more comfy lol. He didn't even want to get out.

He loves it. He even just sleeps in it with the door open. I am presuming he had his own crate in his previous life. No care in the world.

And he is calmer than the first morning. Everything is calmer. I woke up, went pee, came out, let the dog out to pee. "GOOD PUPPY, GOOD PUPPY. SQUISHY FACE!"). Fed him. He layed in the crate with the door open until I got out of the shower. It was like AAAHHHH.

Perfect puppy seriously. I am not really experienced with pits. But he is so quiet, except the snoring. Very sweet. Always at my side. And likes his little man-cave. In fact he is laying in it now.

So anyway, I hung a sign in the trauma bay with a sign-up list for someone to name my puppy. I almost named him Bowie because today is the anniversary of David Bowie's death...

Some other names: Johnnie, Loki, Tank, a couple of votes for Scooby which would be fun to give him "Scooby snacks". Gizmo. Buster. Squish (cause I keep calling him my squishy face). The list goes on and on.

Anyway, our priest for the hospital walked up and asked to see his picture and then wrote down Henry on my sign up sheet. I am not a very religious person, but if I have a priest saying it should be Henry....

Squishy face is now Henry....
(I had too many years in Catholic School LOL)

i like Henry. It fits. He is still a squishy face. LOVE HIM SO MUCH ❤️❤️❤️

I LOVE the name Henry for him! I have a 6 year old Husky who STILL loves his crate. It’s his sanctuary.

Congratulations on your new little man - he’s such a cutie squishy face!!

Ok, so he slept on the floor next to my bed all night in a makeshift bed until i got something more proper.
View attachment 70368
I woke up a bunch of times in the middle of the night to check on him (he snores lol). Always in the same spot. I got up at 5 for work…a little early, but i now have to take him out. Apparently at some point during the night he managed to find what used to be flip flops, pulled every toy into his bed, and had two pees and a poop.

not completely unexpected. I took him out and stood there with him for a great while waiting for him to do his business.

Anyway. The total chaos that ensued with me trying to get ready for work LOL. Under my feet. Trying to get in the shower….getting dressed with him thinking everything i touched was a toy. Happy pees. Chasing the cats.

It went from this dead dog pose, to sheer insanity for a whole hour.

I finally got the door closed behind me like AAAHHHHHH. Mayhem, maybe i will name him Mayhem

Not settled on it. My friend said Scooby. I think i am narrowed down to those two names. Mayhem or Scooby. Getting ready to call my daughter and see what she thinks. Although she already said Blue, so I am not sure she is going to like my two choices.

He is a really good puppy though. Sits for a treat. Knows NO. Very friendly. VERY strong even at only 3 months…can play a wicked tug of war.

My old boss gave me a crate and a big comfy bed for him today. I was on the fence about crating. I never liked it, like whats the point of adopting another family member into the house if you are just going to put him in the cage. But i have come to the conclusion that its probably best for the puppy when I am not here for now. He has bursts of high energy, followed by deep sleep.

Love my little squishy face pupster lol. Not exactly potty trained yet, but a very loving puppy that aims to please and is just so happy to be in the same room as me. Even when i take him out in the yard, he walks next to me and keeps an eye on me the whole time off-leash. Only once did he wander away a little, but then he did his business and came running back doing a happy poopie dance and i’m like YAY!!!! Lol
Blue Mayhem is a adventurous name

OMG he is so good and so bad at the same time LOL.

He can cause sheer havoc around the house at times. Unfortunately I have been working a lot...sorry, didn't pick the timing of suddenly getting a puppy. Doing the best I can.

He runs, chews, jumps, pulls, or just lays his floppy face on my lap. But he is easily redirectable and will sit on a dime the minute you give him the command. Been teaching him to stay....a little more challenging, but he is getting it. Such a smart puppy, just easily distracted.

He comes to his name and follows me around like...well, a puppy lol. Just a REALLY BIG PUPPY. I haven't weighed him yet, mostly because that would mean that I would have to weigh myself first LOL LOL. But then I would have to pick up Monstro to get his weight while balancing myself on a little scale.

OMG he is super strong. I cannot sit on the floor to play with him because he can literally knock me over. I played a bit of tug of war with his "baby" (long unstuffed toy), and I thought he was going to pull me off the chair. I literally had to hold on to the dining room table for stability. He can bite chunks off of a new nyla-bone, which now I don't give him because I don't want him to choke. I gave him a regular bone with all the crunchy bits on it, and he was able to get the end off after he cleaned up the bone. I am gonna have to find a dinosaur-sized femur for him to gnaw on LOL.

The other day I was watering my plants outside with a hose and he was under my feet the whole time. I gave him a quick squirt of water. He SQUINTED at me like "jerk". But then the fun began. He absolutely LOVES the water. If I can figure out how to post a video...He chases the water, and when he "catches" it, he attacks it. When I figured out how much he likes the hose, I started streaming the water from one side of the yard to the other and had him running like a nutcase. He got soaked and loved it!!! Now I can't keep him away from the hose.

Somehow the bugger figured out how to get the crate open while I was at work tonight. I have only been locking one of the locks because I found it unnecessary to lock the top and the bottom...until tonight. Unexpectedly there was not one thing in the house out of place, except that all of his toys were in his cage with him where he was sleeping on his blanket. I had literally been gone for 10 hours!! I don't know when he got it opened, but he just pulled all of his toys in the cage and was sleeping when I walked in. All that time I at least expected an accident (which he still has once in a while, not completely house-trained yet). But like WOW!!

And he finally found his voice. It went from cute little growls and snarls every once in a while while playing to full on barking (not excessively). He sounds like a full-grown dog when he barks now. Like somebody would be afraid to enter my house if they heard him lol.

Not experienced with pits. But maybe somebody knows. Is it normal for them to snore, especially so young? And sometimes he sounds like he is snoring but he is just sitting there. Just curious if they are one of those breeds that always have sinus problems. Like I had a couple of persian cats that I always had them at the vet for sinus infections cause their faces were so smooshed in. I will never get a persian cat again because of this.

So last story for the picture. I let him out in the yard for a while today while I was getting ready for work. When it was time to come in, I kept looking for him and looking for him. Finally I walked back in for a second and I saw him through the window amongst my rosemary and lavender:
IMG_4712.jpeg

OMG I love him! 😍 We had a rescue pitbull and she was the best dog ever!!! She died almost 3 years ago and I still miss her so much. And yes, she snored!

Yes, they snore and fart pretty much from day one. Make sure any behavior you don't want in a solid brick of a adult, you curb now while he is young. My hubby though it was cute to let luna jump when she was little, now she is like a hurricane made of bricks. They generally come in 2 forms, really mellow or a complete spaz. I got the spaz version lol.

I'd also like to add a fyi, he isn't a pit, neither is mine. Most likely a american bully, staffordshire terrier or some mix of the two. A real american pitbull terrier is a much small breed with a smaller head. 99% of the pits you see online are a bully mix of some sort. They are wonderful dogs and actually make better pets then a true pit.

I haven't found anything luna can't chew up but when she was a puppy, the kong pacifiers worked really well, just make sure to watch that he doesn't chew the handle off. She can chew up a cow hoof and the bison horns. Maybe try a frozen carrot, at least they are safe. I have to watch what luna can have now, she got blocked up and had to have surgery.

Attachments

• t615Ujs.jpg
    t615Ujs.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes, they snore and fart pretty much from day one. Make sure any behavior you don't want in a solid brick of a adult, you curb now while he is young. My hubby though it was cute to let luna jump when she was little, now she is like a hurricane made of bricks. They generally come in 2 forms, really mellow or a complete spaz. I got the spaz version lol.

I'd also like to add a fyi, he isn't a pit, neither is mine. Most likely a american bully, staffordshire terrier or some mix of the two. A real american pitbull terrier is a much small breed with a smaller head. 99% of the pits you see online are a bully mix of some sort. They are wonderful dogs and actually make better pets then a true pit.

I haven't found anything luna can't chew up but when she was a puppy, the kong pacifiers worked really well, just make sure to watch that he doesn't chew the handle off. She can chew up a cow hoof and the bison horns. Maybe try a frozen carrot, at least they are safe. I have to watch what luna can have now, she got blocked up and had to have surgery.
OMG that snoring lol.

frozen carrots huh? I have an extra bag i am going to freeze now. My old dog Abby used to love carrots. Never thought of freezing them.

I am going to make an appointment with the vet for next week. I guess she can tell me his exact breed. All i know is what the lady said. She also said he is 3 months old, which I find hard to believe. He is freakin enormous. I am guessing about 40lbs.

It sucks that I had to work night shift this weekend. I really started getting him on a schedule. This just completely screwed him up. And he was CRAZY hyper when i got home tonight….not listening to commands and feeding schedule off, as well as potty times. So coming home tonight was not as great as last night lol.

And the cats have banded together and got brave, so now they just keep teasing him and sitting there while he barks like a maniac at them.

Tomorrow I can have some quality playtime with him. Get him back in a routine.

I have been doing a lot of reading on making sure you are the alpha of the pack. Not sure he realizes that i am top dog yet lol. One of the steps was to make sure that you are always the first out of the door and that he follows. Thats been a challenge since when i get home he just wants to run around like a nutcase and zoom back and forth through the house, out the door, back in, out again.

In the end he is the sweetest overgrown pupster ever, once the initial me coming home crazies wore off lol.

@Obsidian you are a genius with the carrot suggestion. I was putting carrots into the freezer and figured I would give Henry one. Its like a pacifier for dogs!! For the first time in three hours, my house is “tranquilo”. He is just sitting there quietly munching on it.

I think this is gonna replace the bacon-wrapped rawhide things that i have been giving him to occupy him.

This has been going on for almost an hour. His cage is a mess right now with carrot shreds. I am sure he will finish cleaning it up soon lol. Cant wait to see his reaction with frozen carrots…err i should say, how long a frozen carrots occupies him lol

Glad to hear the carrots are a hit. You can also try green beans or any other veggies that are dog safe.
I don't feed any kind of raw hide to power chewers, they tend to gulp them with little chewing and that can cause digestive issues.
I've seen people give a head of cabbage for shredding but I've not tried it. My dogs would eat the whole things and thats too much.

I don't believe in the alpha thing but I do believe in a dog learning to respect humans and rules. That can be done without dominance.
When he is so hyped up from being contained, trying to get him to listen is probably futile unless you come in with high value treats.
Save the training for when he is a bit calmer.

yeah, I'm not buying him rawhide anymore. He can swallow chunks whole if I'm not paying attention. Abby used to chew on it until it got nice and juicy...would last for hours. Henry pulls chunks off of it.

I have had to save his life three times by pulling stuff out of his throat. Good thing I'm not squeemish. He keeps finding cat toys. So twice with little mice, then with a chunk of mulch. Literally had to put my fingers down his throat to retrieve them. I think I got all of the cat toys out of the living room, but you know cat toys, they are everywhere since they are so small.

I bought him a big hollow marrow type bone...the one with all the crispys on the outside. After he gets all the good stuff off, then he is done with it. 10 DOLLARS!! Just to be done with it in minutes. So I started putting peanut butter on the inside. That keeps him occupied for a good long while since he can't get all the way inside lol. Plus it doesn't break apart. The bones that have joints still attached are a hard no. he can get the joint off and it is perfect size to get stuck in his throat.

I got up early...cleaning needs to be done. A batch of soap needs to be done. Today is my only day off. I took him out in the yard around 8:00 and figured I am going to tire him out for a while before it got warm out. LOL OK NO. The dog doesn't get tired, just tired of the same thing. I threw a ball with him for about 5 throws, then he got bored. So I got the frisbee. That was about another three throws. He comes running back without the frisbee "ok now what?". Came in to throw in a load of laundry, I go back out and he dug up a garden. I start picking that all up and he's all over me.

Frozen carrot and a bone full of peanut butter to the rescue.

After I run to the store for lard, I'm gonna try to tire him out with the hose so I can make soap in peace LOL.

Neat thing he did today was patrol the perimeter of the yard today. He walked the entire fence twice. His face seriously looked like he was working.

Oh my gosh Abby was so much easier as an "already done dog" when I got her LOL.

They can be dang hard to tire out and it seems to get worse as they age and get fully muscled. Check out a flirt pole, they are simple to make and if he likes it, they can get tired out after just a few minutes. A snuffle mat might help to but again, need to watch he doesn't eat any of it.

Oh, keep the lard and other soaping oils up high. Last thing you want is him eating a jar or lard or coconut oil, ask me how I know lol.

Latest posts

Back