New Legislation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:shock:

Most other countries alread have somthing like this in place.

But they don't have a $2,000 registration of each product. That would mean that every lotion, cream, and other bath items. would cost the little guy A LOT of extra money

I forget which country I am thinking about, but there is one where you have to register each product in each scent for a very steap fee.

But how many small businesses do you think will go out of business because of this? Can you afford it?

It seems like they are going after the BIG guys...which is great for us smaller companies, I think... Sounds like it is for cosmetics and not so much handcrafted soaps?? :?: crap...

It sounds like it applies to those who make cosmetics that claim to do something. And yes it sounds like they are going after big companies.

lip balms, lotions, scrubs, lotions, bath bombs, etc, are all *cosmetics*.

To answer your question, if it passes & if it applies to me, no I can not afford it. Not by a long shot.

I know. I'm just starting out and this will fold me if it goes through.

Tabitha said:
lip balms, lotions, scrubs, lotions, bath bombs, etc, are all *cosmetics*.
I JUST extended my line to cover Shampoo, conditoner, body whips... :cry: This too, will put me under and I'll close shop if it passes...

Look at the last statement:
Bailey also said cosmetics have the least potential to harm human health of the product categories regulated by the FDA and that of the 11 billion personal care products sold annually only 150 adverse reactions are reported annually and most of these are minor skin irritations.
I would have expected to be much higher, esp when I read some of the crap that goes into (or doesn't go into) some homemade products people sell w/o putting the reasrch in first.

When is the decision going to be made? Can we find out if this applies to only commercial big business or homemade. Cause I skimmed through it so not sure if I missed it.

The FD&C Act defines cosmetics as articles intended to be applied to the human body for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness, or altering the appearance without affecting the body's structure or functions. Included in this definition are products such as skin creams, lotions, perfumes, lipsticks, fingernail polishes, eye and facial make-up preparations, shampoos, permanent waves, hair colors, toothpastes, deodorants, and any material intended for use as a component of a cosmetic product. Soap products consisting primarily of an alkali salt of fatty acid and making no label claim other than cleansing of the human body are not considered cosmetics under the law.

So I'm confused I thought cosmetics meant what is above? Does that also mean things that are made from scratch?

Even big companies make their items from scartch, just on a larger scale & with lots of help/employees.

I am confused as to what you are confused about.

What they describe as a cosmetic I don't make any of them? I just wasn't sure if they were also speaking about what you said lip balms, lotions and such. I need to read more forgive my confused question its just upsetting for us super small people trying to make good stuff.

Ok, I undertsnd now (I think).

The FDA words things weird. They wrote:

Included in this definition are products such as ...
They should have added BUT NOT LIMITED TO. There are lots of items that fall under the realm of cosmetic. A cosmetic is most anything applied to the skin that does not make a medical claim (because then it's a drug). Lye soap is a seperate catagory so it is not a cosmetic. Most M&P is a detergent rather than a lye based soap so it fells under the cosmetic umbrella.

The FDA is not black & white, it's shades of grey. That is the tricky part.

Oh ok just checking cause I read that thing again and they didn't get the specifics down.

Tabitha said:
Look at the last statement:
Bailey also said cosmetics have the least potential to harm human health of the product categories regulated by the FDA and that of the 11 billion personal care products sold annually only 150 adverse reactions are reported annually and most of these are minor skin irritations.
You'd think the "Big Guys" had something better to worry about... like poverty or starving children and uneducated adults.... *grumble*

Back