new in south africa! and i need to know where to buy lye!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexy

Reaction score
Hi there, im lexy, and im new to soap making and i saw there are a few members here from south africa

i was hoping someone could point me in the direction of somewhere i could buy lye and oils etc. I'm in johannesburg...

nice to meet all of you :)

Hello there,
I'm not in South Africa, but South America...

As no one seems to have replied, I thought I might help you out in finding lye (I know it's something hard to find when no one points it out to you).

I've never found lye in supermarkets personally, but that's where lots of people buy theirs in other countries. You could check the plumbing aisle, as drain cleaners, you have to make sure it's 100% lye. Also referred to as caustic soda.

Where I am there is an industrial drug store where I can find any type of chemical. Consider seeing if you have something like that near you.

Otherwise, I've found a link you might be interested in:
http://www.sareefkeeping.com/forum/show ... hp?t=14971
They're talking about exactly what you want: lye near Johannesburg (isn't internet great?)
Welcome.

welll, thanks so much for your reply!

i spoke to the woman i usually buy my home made soaps from at the flea maket and she suggested i try my supermarket too, so im very excited about that :)

Hi lexy,

I'm sorry I didn't see this when you posted. Of course, I couldn't have answered your question so I'm glad delicious could help you.

Anyway...it's a little late but welcome to the forum! :D

Back