New here

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parfumerie

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new to candle making, I hope to start a small candle business in the near future but need to learn the craft first, I have a little experience in perfumery as a hobbyist though I do plan to outsource that aspect as I've read that it can be quite difficult

Welcome! Good luck on your new business. Practice makes perfect!

Hello and welcome! Candlemaking takes lots of testing. Especially with all the wax changes. Many experienced candle makers have had to go back to testing their wax with every new batch. I personally don't make candles but have read up as it was a thought at one point. I can't afford more than one expensive hobby/business.

Oh thanks! It seems like a lot of fun and I enjoy fragrance and wax quite a bit (although what's going on with the waxes are they just inconsistent across the board?), I'd like to learn the soaps as well but one thing before the other :)

Oh thanks! It seems like a lot of fun and I enjoy fragrance and wax quite a bit (although what's going on with the waxes are they just inconsistent across the board?), I'd like to learn the soaps as well but one thing before the other :)
Welcome - Candlemaking is a lot of fun, especially once you get the hang of it. However like shunt said, it does take quite a bit of time to test everything thoroughly enough to be ready to put it out on the market.
The inconsistencies that are out there are mainly with soy. I don't work with soy so I'm unsure exactly what they are, but I know that it is affecting a large majority of soy candlemakers.

My best advice, pick a type of candle you want to make - pillar, containers, votives, whatever, but pick 1, then 1 mold/jar, and pick a wick series and just start testing, unscented, uncolored, changing out wicks or wick series until you get a candle that you think burns great. Then once you know how the candle is supposed burn consistently, then you can start adding your variables such as scent, color, etc., If you do that, it will be easier to diagnose when a candle doesn't burn correctly, you will immediately know what needs to be changed. This will also help you test faster when you introduce different waxes (if you want) and different molds/jars, etc.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the addiction.

Welcome - Candlemaking is a lot of fun, especially once you get the hang of it. However like shunt said, it does take quite a bit of time to test everything thoroughly enough to be ready to put it out on the market.
The inconsistencies that are out there are mainly with soy. I don't work with soy so I'm unsure exactly what they are, but I know that it is affecting a large majority of soy candlemakers.

My best advice, pick a type of candle you want to make - pillar, containers, votives, whatever, but pick 1, then 1 mold/jar, and pick a wick series and just start testing, unscented, uncolored, changing out wicks or wick series until you get a candle that you think burns great. Then once you know how the candle is supposed burn consistently, then you can start adding your variables such as scent, color, etc., If you do that, it will be easier to diagnose when a candle doesn't burn correctly, you will immediately know what needs to be changed. This will also help you test faster when you introduce different waxes (if you want) and different molds/jars, etc.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the addiction.

Ok I've been watching some YouTube videos on testing the wicks , are there any producers of higher end fragrances for use in candles or is it all cheap fragrance oils

Ok I've been watching some YouTube videos on testing the wicks , are there any producers of higher end fragrances for use in candles or is it all cheap fragrance oils
It's not a matter of higher end or lower end fragrances. Some work some don't. Depends on the supplier and what wax(s) you are using. If you're looking for just 1 supplier, probably isn't going to happen. All companies have hits and misses. Some FO suppliers are:
Nature's Garden Candles
Wholesale Supplies Plus
Flaming Candle
Rustic Escentuals
Elements Bath & Body
Key Stone
Aztec
Candle Science
There are dozens of suppliers. Check out the fragrance review board here for candles.

I utilize at least 5-6 different companies....

I only make candles as a hobbyist, but my suggestion is to look for a supplier of fragrances who is a 'candle person'. I recommend new soapers go to Brambleberry and Nurture b/c they are "soap people". They test extensively, etc. So look for suppliers who test extensively, who have a good blog or articles or youtube videos about making candles, etc.

What do you guys think about the idea of a starter kit, did you buy one when you were starting and do you still find any of the kit useful, when I look at them it seems like a waste since I have a pretty specific style in mind and after watching quite a few videos I think it's something I'll enjoy and so don't really feel the need to explore it with a throwaway kit, everything I usually do I buy the pro level equipment up front as I dislike wasting money by buying lower tier equipment and then upgrading

You can spend more money on what those suppliers consider to be higher end, but that doesn't mean you are going to get a great smelling candle. It really depends on your wax, wicks, jars, etc., scent is the last thing that determines if a candle is going throw or not. I know that sounds wrong, but it's true.

I only make candles as a hobbyist, but my suggestion is to look for a supplier of fragrances who is a 'candle person'. I recommend new soapers go to Brambleberry and Nurture b/c they are "soap people". They test extensively, etc. So look for suppliers who test extensively, who have a good blog or articles or youtube videos about making candles, etc.
Good advice for soaping, however, when it comes to scent, as long as it is a reputable supplier, soaping fragrance oils work GREAT in candles, and I personally will not use a scent that is designated "candles only" because then, well I can only make candle with them and not B&B items which is half of my business.

What do you guys think about the idea of a starter kit, did you buy one when you were starting and do you still find any of the kit useful, when I look at them it seems like a waste since I have a pretty specific style in mind and after watching quite a few videos I think it's something I'll enjoy and so don't really feel the need to explore it with a throwaway kit, everything I usually do I buy the pro level equipment up front as I dislike wasting money by buying lower tier equipment and then upgrading
HAHA starter kits weren't invented when I started candle making, so no. However, I would have LOVED a kit to start out with. You can find kit (for the most part) for the exact kind of candle you want to make, so if it were me, and they were available when I started, I would have absolutely went with a kit. In a heartbeat (it's how I started soaping) Once you get going with candles though and have some testing and basic understanding of what you want out of your candles, you will find it's a little bit less expensive to buy what you need instead of a kit every time. Depending on the kit you get though, you will already have some of the equipment and you won't have to repurchase.

The thing is, it's not a just "throwaway kit". Yes, it has the equipment and supplies you need, that eventually you'll be able to get without the kit, but it will still teach you a ton of stuff you wouldn't have to struggle through to learn on your own. That in and of itself would have been totally worth it IMO. Candles are not an overnight success - it's so much more than pouring wax on a string and lighting it to get a candle. It takes time, patience, effort and a level of passion to continue before you will get a successful candle that you will like enough, be safe enough, and that you are proud enough of, before it ever ever goes out to the market.

Ok I understand that it's not as easy as it might appear, so I think I'm going to copy the components of a kit but with items of my own choosing that way I'll be learning with equipment and containers I plan to use moving forward, after learning a little more about the wax types and additives.

Also thanks for advice about soaping fragrance, what are some variables you can tweak is a candle is not throwing and you're at or near maximum saturation?

Last edited:
Also thanks for advice about soaping fragrance, what are some variables you can tweak is a candle is not throwing and you're at or near maximum saturation?

Your wick size could be off, so you need to test different wicks. Also, some FO's do not have good cold throw or hot throw. Each FO will behave differently in each type of wax, so be sure and read reviews and manufacturers descriptions. Essential oils tend to not work well, from what I have found, plus the cost is too high for the amount needed to get a good throw.

I started off with candles and was very lucky that I was "getting it right" straight from the beginning. I invested a lot of money in supplies, just to discover that I would rather do the candles as a hobby and get into soaping. I would much rather focus my time and energy on the soaping, than the candles. So, if you think you might give soaping a try, try it now before investing a ton in candles and then decide if you want to do one or both as part of your business.

As far as the kits, these are a benefit to starting. No, I did not start with a kit because it did not contain the soy wax I wanted for my climate. However, when looking at them and figuring out prices, it is actually cheaper to get the kit than buy each item separately because you will need more than one pouring pot and thermometer.

Good luck! Starting a new business is exciting, but hard. Enjoy what you are doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your wick size could be off, so you need to test different wicks. Lonestar Candle Supply has a great wick tester package that I highly recommend. Also, some FO's do not have good cold throw or hot throw. Each FO will behave differently in each type of wax, so be sure and read reviews and manufacturers descriptions. Essential oils tend to not work well, from what I have found, plus the cost is too high for the amount needed to get a good throw.

I started off with candles and was very lucky that I was "getting it right" straight from the beginning. I invested a lot of money in supplies, just to discover that I would rather do the candles as a hobby and get into soaping. I would much rather focus my time and energy on the soaping, than the candles. So, if you think you might give soaping a try, try it now before investing a ton in candles and then decide if you want to do one or both as part of your business.

As far as the kits, these are a benefit to starting. No, I did not start with a kit because it did not contain the soy wax I wanted for my climate. However, when looking at them and figuring out prices, it is actually cheaper to get the kit than buy each item separately because you will need more than one pouring pot and thermometer.

Good luck! Starting a new business is exciting, but hard. Enjoy what you are doing.

Hm I don't really have a passion for soap it's mostly utilitarian and I haven't really found many good soaps that perfume the body well aside from some Indian sandalwood soaps, but it's worth considering, I do really love perfumery and home fragrance seems to not have many great solutions, did you choose soaping over candle making due to profitability, from an outsiders perspective without doing any research it seems the soap market is far more saturated

Hm I don't really have a passion for soap it's mostly utilitarian and I haven't really found many good soaps that perfume the body well aside from some Indian sandalwood soaps, but it's worth considering, I do really love perfumery and home fragrance seems to not have many great solutions, did you choose soaping over candle making due to profitability, from an outsiders perspective without doing any research it seems the soap market is far more saturated

One must remember that soap is a "wash off" product and not intended to stick around and linger on the skin. I do have so masculine scents, though, that just hang on forever. My husband doesn't even need cologne now that he has switched over to one of my masculine scented soaps.

I am still in the testing faze of everything and not completely ready to start selling. I do continue to make candles, though not as much as I had been and I have a limited type that I do make. As for the soap, I love the ability of being able to be openly creative. I have never felt like I was a creative or artistic person, but when it comes to soap, the sky is the limit on the designs that can be done. I do fear that the soap industry is a saturated market, but I am not doing it to look at replacing an income or getting rich, I just want to make some money while doing something I enjoy.

Welcome to the forum. If you are from the US I would check out http://calcandlesupply.com/. John and his boys are great people to work with. He is a candle manufacturer, on a small scale and supplier. I believe some of his wax mixes are his own so he knows every aspect of the wax. John has been in the candles business for many many years and his knowledge is never ending. What I like about John is the fact he knows why something does not work or why it does. I just picked up a blend from him to make tarts. I do not enjoy making candles and found them to have a big learning curve, although, over 40 yrs ago I did make pillar and sand candles without problems, but have wanted to make tarts to use up some sample oils I have. Back then we just used pariffin so maybe that was the difference. Now I cannot pour a decent candle, nor have the patience to learn. :D California Candle does have a kit available. He has his fo's made for his store so he knows his fragrances well. I have been able to get him to have most of his fo's made body safe which is great. It has taken a few years since he has had to many of them changed.
Here is a link for a candle kit http://calcandlesupply.com/coconut-wax-candle-kit-free-shipping/

As for soapmaking and selling, yes the market is very saturated at least in the US. I use a lot of masculine fragrances and a very strong Dragon's Blood that may linger a few minutes on the skin, but I have never found a fragrance that can be smelled on the skin all day. That is what perfume and colognes are for.

Last edited:
One must remember that soap is a "wash off" product and not intended to stick around and linger on the skin.

So how could a $5-10 price tag per bar be justified is it the branding/marketing or because it looks fun with the different colors and swirling, practically all soap is cleansing

So how could a $5-10 price tag per bar be justified is it the branding/marketing or because it looks fun with the different colors and swirling, practically all soap is cleansing

I fully understand that $5-10 per bar seems excessive, but when all the costs are factored in, then it is not as bad as it seems. Buying handmade soap instead of soap from big manufacturers (Dove, Unilever, Irish Spring, etc) you are not getting all the added chemicals that those companies add to their soaps, but instead, you are getting more "natural" soap. I would much rather pay the money for a good quality handmade soap than a soap that is packed full of stuff that I don't even know what it is.

Because the people, for the most part, that you market too know handmade soap and know that it is superior to the skin than that of a syndet commercial bar, and are willing to pay for that skin loving goodness.
I sell my soaps for $7 a bar, or 4 $25, and nobody buying even bats an eye. I could probably even raise my prices and still get the amount of sales that I do, because I know my market, and I know what they want, and what they are willing to pay for it.

Interesting so the cost of the materials then? What does it cost on average to produce a bar? I dug out a handmade one I had in my stash for showering this morning and my skin is slightly softer it reminded me more of dish detergent in its viscosity and the skin feel afterwards.

Latest posts

Back