New here

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting so the cost of the materials then? What does it cost on average to produce a bar? I dug out a handmade one I had in my stash for showering this morning and my skin is slightly softer it reminded me more of dish detergent in its viscosity and the skin feel afterwards.
Well, no. If you're going to make and sell anything as a business you have to include the cost of your time, the cost of tools and other materials (labels, displays for shows, etc) and the cost of insurance. I'm sure there are other things I am forgetting, but I only sell occasionally to friends.

Interesting so the cost of the materials then? What does it cost on average to produce a bar? I dug out a handmade one I had in my stash for showering this morning and my skin is slightly softer it reminded me more of dish detergent in its viscosity and the skin feel afterwards.
Cost will totally depend on what ingredients you choose to use in your soaping formula. Soapmaking too requires testing, curing etc....again, not a quick hobby into business thing. Also cost will depend on how you are purchasing supplies. If buying small amounts it will cost more. I purchase most oils, butters etc by at least 35-50 lbs.

Well, no. If you're going to make and sell anything as a business you have to include the cost of your time, the cost of tools and other materials (labels, displays for shows, etc) and the cost of insurance. I'm sure there are other things I am forgetting, but I only sell occasionally to friends.
Don't forget to include yourself in that equation. I personally do not work for free, whether that's for an outside source or for myself. So I include that in the COG or CODB as well.

Welcome - Candlemaking is a lot of fun, especially once you get the hang of it. However like shunt said, it does take quite a bit of time to test everything thoroughly enough to be ready to put it out on the market.
The inconsistencies that are out there are mainly with soy. I don't work with soy so I'm unsure exactly what they are, but I know that it is affecting a large majority of soy candlemakers.

My best advice, pick a type of candle you want to make - pillar, containers, votives, whatever, but pick 1, then 1 mold/jar, and pick a wick series and just start testing, unscented, uncolored, changing out wicks or wick series until you get a candle that you think burns great. Then once you know how the candle is supposed burn consistently, then you can start adding your variables such as scent, color, etc., If you do that, it will be easier to diagnose when a candle doesn't burn correctly, you will immediately know what needs to be changed. This will also help you test faster when you introduce different waxes (if you want) and different molds/jars, etc.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the addiction.

Oh no , I’m not hearing ANYTHING about candles. Lol Soap, Shampoo, bath bombs and salt and sugar scrubs are enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how could a $5-10 price tag per bar be justified is it the branding/marketing or because it looks fun with the different colors and swirling, practically all soap is cleansing

It's not just the cost of materials, it's also the cost of marketing, rent, fees, licensing, insurance, all that stuff has to be factored in. Also one needs to consider 'fair market value' even with handcrafted soap. I travel around a lot, and I do look at soap at every opportunity. I can tell you that a $10.00 (US) bar of soap is not at all uncommon in many parts of the US. I do see them for more, as well as for less. For the most part, it looks to me like it's 'what the market will allow.' When the clientele are travelers in resort areas, the market price tends to be higher. When the clientele tends to be folks who wouldn't be able to afford high-priced soap, the price tends to be lower.

Just this week I have seen the exact same brand of handcrafted soap sell for $10.00 per bar (approx. 4 to 5 ounce bars) in one market, but $7.00 in another market. I saw the same brand of smaller soap bars (about 2 ounce-bars) sell for $5.00 for one bar in one market, but the same soap sold for $3.50 in another market. I also saw 1-ounce bars of soap sell at a specialty shop for the same price. IMO these soaps are probably no better than my own, however, they are made in an area where overhead costs are really high, so I doubt there is really much profit for the soap maker. I have also seen soap bars that sell for $17.00 a bar this week as well. Again, it was a resort area, and one must consider the market bears this pricing or it would not continue. In my town in the mid-West (US), I doubt anyone would pay that much for a bar of soap, but they often have no conception of the how expensive running a small business actually is, which is sad considering so many businesses come and go because they are not well supported.

BTW, I have seen DOVE sell for $5.00 a bar in resort areas, too. I was shocked. But it was the only store open in town at the time and it was the only soap they carried, so if you wanted soap, that's what you had to pay.

Hm you guys are getting me interested in this soap thing, I'm thinking I'll try a simple cp recipe with some store bought fats if only to use for myself, I've been enjoying the handmade bar I've been using

BTW, I have seen DOVE sell for $5.00 a bar in resort areas, too. I was shocked. But it was the only store open in town at the time and it was the only soap they carried, so if you wanted soap, that's what you had to pay.

I live in a resort area and cannot tell you how true this is!
I also shocked my online buddies when I told them I sell for about $1/oz - they were expecting 2 - 3x that.

---------

I'm having trouble doing a multi-quote, but someone else mentioned product testing. I 100% cannot imagine NOT testing a batch whether it is soap or wax. Cold wax can smell strong, but produce a weak throw and vice versa.

You're cost will depend greatly on how much you're making and how you are marketing. If you can get to the point where you are moving lots of product, buying in bulk can lower your expenses quite a bit.

Welcome!

I'm having trouble doing a multi-quote, but someone else mentioned product testing. I 100% cannot imagine NOT testing a batch whether it is soap or wax. Cold wax can smell strong, but produce a weak throw and vice versa.

You're cost will depend greatly on how much you're making and how you are marketing. If you can get to the point where you are moving lots of product, buying in bulk can lower your expenses quite a bit.

Welcome!

I think on bramble berry I found a fragrance calculator is that pretty efficacious? how do you test soaps, by making small batches? and then can you tell how it'll be after it hardens or does it change while curing

I think on bramble berry I found a fragrance calculator is that pretty efficacious? how do you test soaps, by making small batches? and then can you tell how it'll be after it hardens or does it change while curing

I use a big loaf right now, so I essentially saw an end off. I just ordererd a tray that produces several 4.5 oz bars, so I will likely fill a cavity about half way to test (I use all my own products in addition to selling - so don't mind using 2 oz on myself) I've seen people use smaller molds, that hold maybe half an oz or so.

Back