new hanger swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that's beautiful. How do you get the colors to stay over on one side before swirling? Do you use dividers? Tilt the mold?

Wow, that's beautiful. How do you get the colors to stay over on one side before swirling? Do you use dividers? Tilt the mold?

If you look at my comment right above yours, I thanked Dana. She has a link to a video and that's the exact technique I used.
Tilt mold.
Pour base color, not all.
Pour alternating stripes down one side (closest to you). Pour on the wall each new stripe.
Untilt mold.
Cover top with base color.
Hanger beginning at the wall closest to you and move each circular rotation slightly further til you reach the other side (watch the video closely to better understand what I mean)
Once at opposite wall, bring hanger through the swirls Straight back to you (parallel to the bottom for a clean straight pull through).

Hth!

If you look at my comment right above yours, I thanked Dana. She has a link to a video and that's the exact technique I used.
Tilt mold.
Pour base color, not all.
Pour alternating stripes down one side (closest to you). Pour on the wall each new stripe.
Untilt mold.
Cover top with base color.
Hanger beginning at the wall closest to you and move each circular rotation slightly further til you reach the other side (watch the video closely to better understand what I mean)
Once at opposite wall, bring hanger through the swirls Straight back to you (parallel to the bottom for a clean straight pull through).

Hth!

Thanks. I noticed that video link not long after I posted. I think even I could manage that.

Guess I have something to try this week.

I think the pour technique (at least before the hanger is introduced) is called a tilted tiger stripe, or a dandelion zebra.

Wow, that is gorgeous. I have a question. How do you have long enough work time to make that? My soap starts setting up pretty quick. I know the amount of hard oils and your FO or EO has a lot to do with it. But man I have very little time.

Wow, that is gorgeous. I have a question. How do you have long enough work time to make that? My soap starts setting up pretty quick. I know the amount of hard oils and your FO or EO has a lot to do with it. But man I have very little time.

I blend two short bursts, stir, blend twice short burst, stir, again, stir. I barely get to emulsion which is before trace (soap batter sinks and doesn't leave a trail on top) and split. Color. Then fragrance with a non accelerating fo. Pour.
I use 40% lye concentration with a well know slow fo which slows down trace time. With an accelerating fo I Use 33% lye and if a lightning fo I suppose I'd do 30% lye, but I rarely use severely misbehaving fos.

I use usually 40-45% tallow, lard, or a combo, 18% co, 7% castor and soft oils for the rest.
Edit and I soap cool.

Back