New Guy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stand my bars on their side, then flip them once a week or so. I haven't had any issues with curing them. They get plenty of airflow on the 4 exposed sides. :)

FIVE exposed sides! (Assuming the bars are cubes or cuboids.)

Thanks; that makes sense. Fortunately, mine is a metal rack coated with plastic.

I use coated steel racks, too (these from Pampered Chef: https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Bakeware/Pastry+&+Baking+Tools/Stackable+Cooling+Rack/1587

toxocon said:
Plastic-coated metal maaaay even cause soap to develop DOS, I've heard some say that.

I can't vouch for other brands of coated racks, but for what it's worth, my Pampered Chef racks have been serving me well as cure racks without them ever having caused a single incidence of DOS in the 11 or 12 years I've been using them.

IrishLass :)

I lined my vinyl coated wire racks with plastic embroidery canvas. Keeps good airflow to all sides, and keeps the soap out of direct contact with the wires. I can't really comment on how well it works other than "seems to be working okay so far." I've only been making soap for about 6 months, so I'm still waiting to see how they all do in the long term.

Welcome! Wave.gif

Welcome!
Just wanted to second (or fifth, whatever) the comments on the metal racks. I have coated metal racks that I placed rug canvas on. I think that's what it was called, honestly I just wandered around the yarn sections at Hobby Lobby until I found something that looked like it would work. It came in a large sheet, so I had to cut it to fit the shelves, but I covered three of the four shelves (the top shelf is used for misc storage) and still have enough to do 4 more shelves if I ever expand. I had been using a stainless steel shelving which is "supposed" to not react, but I lost almost 30 bars to DOS. I have also used the commercial stacking dishwashing racks and bakers trays. If you don't have too many soaps, you can set them on any clean flat surface and then flip them every few days/week.

Welcome!
Just wanted to second (or fifth, whatever) the comments on the metal racks.... I had been using a stainless steel shelving which is "supposed" to not react, but I lost almost 30 bars to DOS.

I see what you mean; I had placed some on a supposedly stainless steel rack, and I found DOS a few days ago.

Back