New guy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

probb01234

Reaction score
I'm Paul, I live in north Orlando.

I'm on my 10th or so loaf. I am now starting room temperature mixing experiments to see how much lavender EO scent is lost if gel stage occurs, if any. Also the effects on color of dried botanicals.

Id like to share some stuff Ive learned so far, mostly after reading. I have yet to lose a loaf, as I read and learn prior. I hope this helps a fellow newbie.

Enjoy the articles on scents, and look forward to trading some scents in a swap very soon. I have a recipe, its 60% lavender 20% lemon 20% vanilla all pure distilled EO's, using .75 ounces of essential oil per pound of oil. Delicious.

Holiday blends (which you need to select and make now) for this year will be a cinammon apple pie, spiked with doughnut / fresh bread smell, and a masculine, cherry tobacco - Aqua Di Gio combination. Dont forget to make scents for guys, women will buy soap for their men during the holidays if you offer it.

My previous hobby was pyrotechnics, but thats not real practical for a father. So, I learned to make soap. My child has eczema, making a scent free castille soap with shea butter helped her immensely. Now Im hooked. This Spring, we start our first bee hives for honey in a future goats milk honey soap.

Remember the Castor oil, it is a miracle oil for soaps.
Gel stage is not a mistake, its just soap curing at a high temperature.
Soybean oil is nearly identical as palm oil, also as cheap and easy to buy. I use 10% to replace olive oil. It saves money, and helps American farmers, while not destroying rain forests like Palm Oil does.

Measure twice, and use a checklist. Keep a journal. Give soap away, often people love it.

Paul

Hi Paul -

Welcome to the forum! I think it's great you've got a hobby that helps your daughter. :D

If you'd like to post pics of some of your batches, we'd love to see them. It's always fun and inspiring to see what other people are making.

probb01234 said:
Soybean oil is nearly identical as palm oil, also as cheap and easy to buy. I use 10% to replace olive oil. It saves money, and helps American farmers, while not destroying rain forests like Palm Oil does.

I do want to mention soybean's properties aren't similar to palm. It's closer in properties to olive but it doesn't get hard over time like OO. Also, you can buy sustainable palm.

HTH

Welcome to the soapmaking addiction. Hydrogenated soybean oil is okay but liquid soybean oil has been linked to DOS. You will find many differing opinions on this forum. For example, I never use castor in soap. I've tried it and even in small percentages it makes my soap softer. I get lots of lather without it. dottie

Back