New guy on the block!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vBlake

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new here and to soap making. This sparked my interest about a month ago and I can't stop thinking about soap!!! I have a small... Ok large BBQ hobby that my wife just loves... [emoji57] well this hobby leaves me with two waste components one being lots of trimmed animal fats and the other being buckets of burnt wood ashes.... Wait what's the ingredients for homemade soap?? Fat and lye? And lye comes from wood ashes!! Super sweet!! Honey let's make soap! (We can probably all imagine the look I received from her!!!) and here I am looking for a community of experts to gain knowledge. Thanks for having me!!!

Oh I almost forgot to tell you that I'm here in the great state of Arkansas!!! Go Hogs!! We root for them, eat them, the. Make soap with them down here!!!

Howdy and welcome! As tempting as making your own lye from wood ashes might be, I strongly urge you to buy lye to begin with... you won't be able to determine the strength of homemade nor would you be able to make bar soap with it. :)

Howdy and welcome! As tempting as making your own lye from wood ashes might be, I strongly urge you to buy lye to begin with... you won't be able to determine the strength of homemade nor would you be able to make bar soap with it. :)

Thanks for the advice snappy!! That's what some of the fellow diapers are already telling me!! Shocked on the quick responses here!!

Thanks for the advice snappy!! That's what some of the fellow diapers are already telling me!! Shocked on the quick responses here!!

I do love auto correct! Diapers for soapers never gets old.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome vBlake! :wave:

spenny92 said:
Diapers for soapers never gets old.

vBlake said:
OMG! I didn't even notice!!! Diapers! Wow sorry for that. That is hilarious.

Too funny! Darn you auto-correct! :lol:

I actually make use of old cloth diapers when I soap- clean ones, of course- I use them to cover my soap molds to encourage gel, and also to cover over my mouth and nose when mixing lye. I suppose I'll know that I've inhaled too many fumes when they start talking and telling me what kind of lye to use. :razz:

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back