New from Texas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas_Bubbly

Reaction score
My name is Tina, and I have taken on the obsession that is soapmaking. I have ordered my first supply list for M&P soap, 10 lbs total of a mix of clear, white and goatsmilk.

I wanted to make some soap for my family for Christmas, and thought it would be a really fun project to do with my Mom and the kids.

I have a few ideas, and wanted to ask some questions.

How long into the cooling process for M&P soaps can I still mix, swirl, or texture the top of the soap? And can I get heavily textured tops of loaves with M&P soap?

Can M&P soap layers be left to cool between layers? (for a heavily textured layer in the middle of the soap)

Are loaves or slabs best for M&P soaps?

Thanks in advance for the input. I see beautifully textured and rich soap in my dreams.. but have a feeling my first batch will be staying at home, and not be gifts for the family! LOL

Where in TX are you? I am an hour S od dallas on 45, Corsicana.

How long into the cooling process for M&P soaps? You can use a bar of M&P a couple hours after you have poured it.

can I still mix, swirl, or texture the top of the soap? yes

And can I get heavily textured tops of loaves with M&P soap? This is possible but tricky & would take lots of practice.

Can M&P soap layers be left to cool between layers? (for a heavily textured layer in the middle of the soap) Layers should cool completetly before adding the next layer or the heat from the second is likly to melt th first & they will blend/bleed. Always mist layers w/ rubbing alcohol & pour the next layer while the alcohol is still wet. If you do not, your layers will pop apart. The alcohol bonds them together.
Are loaves or slabs best for M&P soaps? That is personal preferance.

Thanks for the quick reply! To answer your question, my family and I live in Houston. :D

How long into the cooling process for M&P soaps? You can use a bar of M&P a couple hours after you have poured it.

can I still mix, swirl, or texture the top of the soap? yes

I need to rephrase.. How long do I have to work with the top of the soap before it gets TOO firm to manipulate? Like.. 10-15 minutes from pouring to cooling?

It will depend on the strength of your microwave, how much you melt & for how long. Probably 10-15 mintes to go from liquid to thick enough to manipulate, once it gets thick enough to manipulate you will have seconds before it is completetly hard. It'll be tough.

That fast, huh? Is basic M&P soap (nothing but color and scent added) hard enough to grate or grind into small pieces?

And.. if I don't like how it turns out the first time, how many times can I re-pour it?

Hallooooo!! (im not too far from ya!!...welll geographically at least....over here in sunny FL_)

We used to live in Florida, and my husband and I were JUST talking about how much we miss the beach and fishing.

:D thats why im down here...and I just got a fishing pole...living by Sarasota and the fish are saawwweeet down here but Ive yet to try my luck!...want to get a license first so i can go past my waist in the water!

Welcome to the forum.

Texas_Bubbly said:
That fast, huh? Is basic M&P soap (nothing but color and scent added) hard enough to grate or grind into small pieces?

And.. if I don't like how it turns out the first time, how many times can I re-pour it?

Yes, you can cut and grate it. You can re-pour the base as often as you like but once you add color and scent that may change the results a bit.

Chay said:
Welcome to the forum.

Texas_Bubbly said:

Yes, you can cut and grate it. You can re-pour the base as often as you like but once you add color and scent that may change the results a bit.

Ok, I will bang around a bit to get a feel for it before making any final decisions. I haven't even poured my first mold, and I have already had a dream about soap. Should I be worried? LOL

thats why im down here...and I just got a fishing pole...living by Sarasota and the fish are saawwweeet down here but Ive yet to try my luck!...want to get a license first so i can go past my waist in the water!

One of the first things we did was get all of our saltwater fishing licenses. We saw some pretty amazing stuff while fishing those waters, and wouldn't trade a moment of it. My husband and I are both eager for our life to bring us back to Florida.

oh yes Ive seen my fair share of crazy stuff too!!! I cant wait to get all the licensces, not sure which ones i need but I know i want to spearfish and sportfish (for food...not just for fun)...and Id like to get scuba certified so I can go deeeeeeep :)

get my own tanks and gear and such and that would be siiick!

I personally would spearfish from a boat, but not in the water...there are so many sharks! :shock:

Tx, if you soap doesn't turn out the way you want, it's very forgiving. You can melt it back down & pour again.

I got a call from NDA saying they were out of the clear M&P base I ordered. I popped into the craft store, and got something from there. The mfg is Life of the Party.

I just couldn't wait anymore, I HAD to try a few ideas, and I have to say that so far so good. :D

It's a clear, olive oil base, suspension formula. Best tip to make it opaque?

hey ya'll live in texas too-- i'm south central in a very small town - Godley- its about an hour southwest of Dallas. Most of the suppliers around me are candles suppliers and have heard to watch out for some of their stuff -mainly the scents. (could cause soap to seize) Seems Houston is a great place for supplies!!! May have to take a rip there.

Welcome Texas_Bubbly. I'm from Texas also. In Houston actually. This is a great forum. I've gotten LOTS of info from here. Lots of experienced folks here.

Welcome again. :D

Thanks! There are lot's of Texans here... In the summer, the best thing is a cool shower, so we must know our soap! :wink:

Hey there.

I'm in Little Elm, about 30 or so minutes north of Dallas.

I have two things to contribute here.

I buy Lye from a place near Garland. Taylored Concepts. They sell tons of soap making supplies.

12021 Plano Rd Suite#190
Dallas, TX 75243
(972) 671-5661

I make biodiesel so I have TONS of natural vegetable glycerine leftover from the process of making biodiesel. This stuff is awesome for making soap but I just have too much and I have not had spare time to make soap with it. If anyone in the area wants some of this, please let me know. Its in liquid form and has been purified to remove methanol.

Just send me an email at [email protected] and I'll be glad to share the wealth. Maybe I can trade for a bit of homemade soap??

Latest posts

Back