New from Oregon

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alison9712

Reaction score
Greetings, I'm new to this site, from Oregon. I made my first batch of CP soap about 15 years ago, and made a few batches since then. I recently got out all my supplies, bought some new molds and made a batch of Olive Oil soap, and tried a new (to me) recipe for goat milk soap. I have many questions about the goat milk soap, and can't wait to test it out after curing. I hope to learn more about the lye calculator, in case I need to adjust a recipe.

Hello and Welcome to the forum. I highly recommend reading the 10 most recent pages in the beginners forum and even in the lye based forum. There is a lot of info to be gleaned. Also, feel free to ask questions if you can't find an answer.

Welcome, Alison!

When I make goat milk soap, I use the 'split method'. It's so much easier for me- there's no fuss or muss with freezing the milk & then adding the lye slowly to the iced milk cubes, or off-fumes or dark-colored soap, etc... Instead, I mix the lye amount for my batch with an equal amount of water in weight, and I add the rest of my required liquid amount as fresh/regrigerated (not frozen) goat milk to my oils either before or just after I add the lye solution. Of course, that only makes a 'lite' goat milk soap, but I can also make a 100% goat milk soap using the method by dissolving enough powdered GM to the fresh goat milk portion to bring the overall milk concentration up to 100%. Then I add it to my oils either just before or just after I add my water/lye solution.

IrishLass :)

Welcome to the forum. I use Irish Lass's method, but I use cow's cream for the other half of the liquid instead of goat's milk.

Back