New from Florida

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jane Jacobsen

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Please forward this to someone in administration.

I'm new to soapmaking and, as a very senior citizen, a lot of technology has passed me by. I signed up for the forum, replied to the email asking for confirmation, and was told my registration was confirmed, but every time I tried to reply to a post I get the message I have insufficient priviledges. There' so way I have found to contact an administration directly and this is the only I have found to oo ask somebody what is wrong.

I could go on lurking and reading the very helpful posts but I saw something yesterday that makes ne believe one of the members is about to make a terrible mistake and I want to tell him I made the same mistake and he should get informed advice asap.

So how do I get reply priviledges?

@Jane Jacobsen

Hi Jane and welcome!! What part of the forum were you trying to post? Some areas you need to be a member for 3 months with a minimum of 50 posts. Let me know where you were trying to post and I'll check into it for you.

@Jane Jacobsen

Hi Jane and welcome!! What part of the forum were you trying to post? Some areas you need to be a member for 3 months with a minimum of 50 posts. Let me know where you were trying to post and I'll check into it for you.

It was the Yesterday's forum. What new soapy thing did you ...? Right now I am racing to finish a non-soaping project with a tight deadline so I have to wait until later to find the specific post. I think the member's name was Maarti he's in Mexico and was talking about naking soap from agave. Agave juice can irritate the skin. My son used agave juice on a burn on his skin and broke out in a terrible, painful rash. The plant description from the Florida Department of Agriculture mentions the possibility of irritation. I think maybe Maarti was thinking of aloe, rather than agave. Someone sent him a picture of an agave plant and asked if it was aloe and he said it looked like it.

Before anyone uses any wild plant he or she should get a proper identification from an expert, especially if the soap is destined to be sold.

I'll look up the specific post this evening.

PS how to I rack up 50 posts if I can't post?

Welcome to the forum I am thinking they should have used aloe. You can rack up 50 posts by commenting on the pictures of soap that other members have posted. Look in the "Photo Gallery" section. You can also join in the Word Association game and the Four Letter game. Post questions pertinent to soap making or bath and body products.

Thanks for the advice. I'll start commenting on the pictures. I'm not a very chatty person but I do need to build credentials so when it's really important I can post something.

There are only a few section in which you need a 3 month membership and 50 posts to participate. Most sections, such as Beginners, Lye-Base Soap etc. can be participated in without the required 50 posts and 3 month a membership.

Last edited:
Welcome to my world. :p lol.............And welcome to the forum, too!

IrishLass :)
Thanks, Irish Lass. I always enjoy your posts and wonder if I'll know ever know half as much as you do. Right now I'm immersed in a quilting project with a very tight deadline (for a show) so I've only made two batches from premade recipes but am so enamored with the way they turned out that I have a list as long as my arn of stuff to try.

It was the Yesterday's forum. What new soapy thing did you ...? Right now I am racing to finish a non-soaping project with a tight deadline so I have to wait until later to find the specific post. I think the member's name was Maarti he's in Mexico and was talking about naking soap from agave. Agave juice can irritate the skin. My son used agave juice on a burn on his skin and broke out in a terrible, painful rash.
Welcome to the forum Jane

Agave is used for many things including sweeteners. As for it being a mistake using it in soap, many plant materials can be irritating when use neat on the skin, but does not mean the soap will be irritating. I for one break out when cleaning Aloe leaves, and some folks are very allergic to aloe, but can still use the soap I put the aloe in. I have actually used agave in soap but did not like it as well as aloe, also it is not quite as plentiful as aloe where I live. There is just not much I have not tried over the years.

If you want to participate in the monthly challenges, you do need to be a member for 1 month and have at least 50 posts, so there's another reason to participate a little bit more. You don't have to be particularly chatty, per se, though.

That's what is so great about this forum-the voices of experience. I won't worry about the post about using agave, but I still can't bring myself to try it. Between myself and my son we have 3 huge blue agaves and we joke all the time about making tequila (neither of us drinks it). After his nasty encounter with the rash, however, when he gets ready to prune it he wears long pants, long sleeves gloves and safety glasses. He looks like he's going to make soap.

That's what is so great about this forum-the voices of experience. I won't worry about the post about using agave, but I still can't bring myself to try it. Between myself and my son we have 3 huge blue agaves and we joke all the time about making tequila (neither of us drinks it). After his nasty encounter with the rash, however, when he gets ready to prune it he wears long pants, long sleeves gloves and safety glasses. He looks like he's going to make soap.

:lol:
While he's all geared up, put him to work making soap......hahahaha
Oh, and welcome to the forum, @Jane Jacobsen!!

Latest posts

Back