new formula 2

Discussion in 'Recipe Feedback' started by Janine, Apr 16, 2018 at 5:24 AM.

1. Apr 16, 2018 at 5:24 AM #1

Janine

Janine

Janine

can anyone tell me if this bar will be hard and long lasting tried so many formulas don't you go by liodin which mine is 38 lower to 0 side is better

Attached Files:

2. Apr 16, 2018 at 7:24 AM #2

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I doubt you will like the amount of coconut, most stay at 20% or below, castor only needs to be 5% to support lather, which is what castor is used for, I do use 45% palm in my vegan recipes. I would lower the CO to 20%, Palm 40%, Castor Oil 5%, Shea 10% and 25% Olive Oil or another liquid oil. It will make a long lasting bar but will trace quickly. I find palm as these percentages will trace quickly. I use the sb about 5 seconds and stir until trace. It will give you a hard bar that last a decent time. Another fyi about coconut oil, although it gives a hard bar it is very soluble and will not create a long lasting bar even in high percentages. I really think you will be happy with the soap if you try the percentages I listed. Only thing you may dislike is the faster tracing with the amount of palm. If you are not opposed to tallow or lard a 45/25 % tallow/lard makes a lovely bar

loriag and Dahila like this.
  3. Apr 16, 2018 at 12:53 PM #3

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin  

I just responded to the same question in your other post. But as cmzaha said, palm will trace quicker. If not opposed to Lard, it makes an awesome soap in place of palm.

4. Apr 20, 2018 at 2:02 AM #4

Janine

Janine

Janine

so how much percentage of lard and do l replace palm oil to lard so l use all those percentage of what cmzaha explained but just replace palm with lard

5. Apr 20, 2018 at 4:28 AM #5

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Yes you can use lard at 45% I personally like it mixed with tallow if you have access to tallow or beef shortening from Walmart, but it is not necessary. Lard will definitely give you more work time.

6. Apr 21, 2018 at 1:19 PM #6

Janine

Janine

Janine

So l have changed my formula would like to make this one in next few days.

Attached Files:

loriag likes this.
  7. Apr 21, 2018 at 4:08 PM #7

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Hi Janine,

I reckon it's a recipe that you could try and see if you like it (in that I would tweak it a little bit to suit me, if it were mine, but you might like it just as it is :)).

Unfortunately the default "water as percent of oil weight" in the calculator has given you too much water for this combination of oils - the olive uses a lot less sodium hydroxide to convert to soap, so it doesn't need as much water either (most of the calculators have this setting as the default, unfortunately, so it's a good habit to get into, to change it manually every time).

Choosing a lye concentration somewhere in the range of 30% to 33% will give you consistently good results.

The only other comment I would make is that this will make nearly 2 kilograms of soap, which is quite a bit for a recipe you are trying out (500 grams is a good amount if you have reasonably accurate scales - the stick blender can still be fully submerged into this amount of batter).

8. Apr 21, 2018 at 5:05 PM #8

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I agree with Salted Fig, 4 lbs of soap is a lot of soap if you do not like it. It also would not be one I would like much, but you may love it and will not know if you do not try it. I would also go with no more than 500g. For testing I use a 1 lb mold with approx 13oz of oils for testing new fragrances. If testing a recipe I tend to go with 8 oz oils

9. Apr 22, 2018 at 2:10 AM #9

Janine

Janine

Janine

Wood Size(L x W x H): 28.50 x 9.00 x 8.50 cm
    Silone insert Internal size:260x73x78mm(LxWxH)
    makes a 1.2 kilo soap...
    Maybe my calculations are wrong

10. Apr 22, 2018 at 5:21 AM #10

Janine

Janine

Janine

Hi guys does this look better 500 gram batch which i dont have a mold for but will find somewhere

Attached Files: