New Challenges for my Third Batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc1ble

Reaction score
I got up early this morning, 4 a.m. and got to making my third batch. I used some ingredients that were new to me and started some new techniques. I posted a few days ago about a black and white soap and this is it. It was my first time coloring soap, using activated charcoal and titanium dioxide. It was also my first time using any kind of swirl and more than one color. Here is the picture.
GFxky4O.jpg

It is white on the bottom, black and white in the pot swirl in the center, black on top and supposed to be some sort of tawain swirl on the top. It went well for the most part, except I forgot to be gentle when pouring the top black layer so that may have sunk into the center more than I was planning. I also need to work on my top swirl, but at least now I know what to expect and I can work on it. I can't wait to unmold it and cut it and see what it looks like in the middle

What a beautiful soap, especially for a third batch. I am thinking about starting to work with colors, and your beautiful soap is really encouraging.

It looks awesome! So excited for you! Can't wait to see the cut pics!

The cut was a little disappointing. My black turned gray and my top layer of black was definitely poured to high. I was hoping for a straight line between layers but the top is kind of blobbed on. That's why it was a test batch, I did learn a few things to change the next time around. I will use a little more AC in the next one and pour my layers more carefully. I didn't let this batch gel and I wonder if that might have kept the black darker. I also tried to remove it from the mold last night, and it was too early and I broke the corners off my loaf.

qUu2vOO.jpg
StgoiOR.jpg
5ETlprp.jpg

Gelling should help your colors be more vibrant. For what it's worth, it's still a beautiful soap even if it's not what you envisioned.

It is still very pretty. The type of mold you used will release better if you put it in the freezer for an hour or so. Also it takes a lot of AC to make a true black. It needs to be a real shiny deep black. The drawback is it will usually create gray lather or at least drip gray when the soap is wet. I only use AC for black and do get true black

Awesome, love the black and white. I have a lot of trouble with crumbly soap when I use titanium dioxide - still trying to figure out why. You've done a great job. Go you!

What's next? ... :D

I wonder if the top went grey because of soda ash? Have you tried washing it off?

either way they're lovely!

I did wash it, even the inside of the bar went a dark gray color after it started to cure. Probably just need to up the amount of AC in the batch next time.
Awesome, love the black and white. I have a lot of trouble with crumbly soap when I use titanium dioxide - still trying to figure out why. You've done a great job. Go you!

What's next? ... :D

Thank you, I think I'm gonna do a hot process shaving soap this weekend and then I'm gonna do some experiments with this recipe and try to improve the black in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back