New Business_Butterflies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mentioned Hornworms, I hope not the dreaded Tomato Hornworm....
Butterflies and Mantis sound pretty cool, good luck!!

OMG, just one can destroy my whole garden overnight, If you lived near me, I might have to buy them all up and ah get rid of them gangster style, lol

Since we're on the subject...I ran across this site recently. Amazing transformations! http://www.ba-bamail.com/content.aspx?emailid=19420
Aren't they some of the neatest caterpillars you have ever seen.

OMG, just one can destroy my whole garden overnight, If you lived near me, I might have to buy them all up and ah get rid of them gangster style, lol
LOL, they are voracious eaters. We feed them a chow not our tomato plants. These also did not come out of the garden. You should see what Silk Worms can do a Mulberry tree. A full grown Silk worm can almost devour a grocery bag full of leaves overnight. :)

I went to my daughters this morning to check on my Ghost Mantis and my Green Mantis. Oh my gosh they are growing so nice. Will probably bring the Green home next week. I am letting her take care of the Ghostie a little longer, it is still quite small. Fed them honey this morning

I love Praying Mantis! That is so cool your daughter is selling them now. I wish her much luck.

We have an ant farm going right now and last summer we hatched a bunch monarch butterflies. If I had a garden, I would def. get some lovely Manti (Mantids?) to keep the bad bugs at bay. My favorite bug for sure along with the Goliath Beetle.

I love Praying Mantis! That is so cool your daughter is selling them now. I wish her much luck.

We have an ant farm going right now and last summer we hatched a bunch monarch butterflies. If I had a garden, I would def. get some lovely Manti (Mantids?) to keep the bad bugs at bay. My favorite bug for sure along with the Goliath Beetle.
I love my Ghost Mantis. But my darn kid called me and asked me to take my ghostie to market Friday. She thinks she is going to sell my Ghostie. Nope, do not think so... I remember you have the lovely Bug displays

So glad to hear about your daughter's business! Hope you are well.
Thankyou

Sounds fascinating but Im confused. Can you post pictures of these and what do people do with these? At first I thought you were talking about painted rocks but now it seems like your referring to the actual bugs. If thats the case, what do the customers do with these? If they release them, dont they just run off then? And if they are being sold as pets...what do the customers house them in at home?
Anyhow, I wish your daughter the best. Lord knows dental work is sooo expensive. It sounds like she may have found her niche!

Sounds fascinating but Im confused. Can you post pictures of these and what do people do with these? At first I thought you were talking about painted rocks but now it seems like your referring to the actual bugs. If thats the case, what do the customers do with these? If they release them, dont they just run off then? And if they are being sold as pets...what do the customers house them in at home?
Anyhow, I wish your daughter the best. Lord knows dental work is sooo expensive. It sounds like she may have found her niche!
As for the butterflies she sells the caterpillars and food housed in a container the caterpillars can cocoon in. After the butterfly emerges most people let them go or they can purchase soft sided cages the butterflies can live in. Drawback is the cages are quite expensive to house butterflies. Most let them go since they are butterflies indigenous to our area.

The Praying Mantis are very pesky to keep since they need individual housing since they are cannibalistic. The exotic mantis we sell go in spice containers ones we sell are in large revamped spice containers made to house them. They are considered exotics because they are not indigenous to our area so have to be sold as pets. I will post a picture after while of my Budwing in her terrarium. It amazes how attached you can get to a bug.

e5c2fc34-caf1-4fcb-b0d5-2d887a898f08_zps0la9ubdj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My tank with my Budwing Mantis. Mantis is on the green arch near the bottom

Our molting tank

Last edited:
Thought of you, Carolyn, when my DH sent me a link to this article: http://www.vox.com/2016/7/6/12098122/california-pipevine-swallowtail-butterfly-population The article is about a San Francisco guy who is raising a rare California butterfly. If nothing else, just check out the photos of this gorgeous insect.
Thankyou DeeAnna. Those are a gorgeous swallowtail. I sent the article to my daughter. He started out like Autumn (granddaughter) raising Painted Ladies.

At the moment Autumn is sidetracked with trying to mate a Budwing couple and not get her boy eaten!! She told me she is going to try today to mate them but I bet she chickens out! :)

Oh my gosh, DeeAnna. Those butterflies are gorgeous! I grew up in So Cal and was used to seeing lots of butterflies as a kid. We even had a classroom project where we raised them from egg to adult. I'm not fortunate enough to see as many now I'm in AZ but had an unexpected surprise a few weeks ago. We were golfing up in the mountains and a beautiful butterfly kept landing near us on a particular green. It was neon yellow, black and various shades of blue. My first thought (as always) was "I'd love to make soap with those colors"! Nature always gives me the best inspiration when it comes to color. :)

Carolyn, good luck to Autumn and her bug mating project. Hopefully he survives the ordeal!

Latest posts

Back