New Book. New Questions.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going thru "The Soapmakers Companion " (a Christmas gift from a friend ) and see grapefruit seed extract.....spent roughly 2 hours online this afternoon trying to look at this.

Any comments from anyone that does regularly use this?

According to Majestic Mountain Sage, the recipes in Susan's books were highly superfatted, so if you try them, it might be worth reducing the superfat to between 3 and 8% (depending on your personal preference, most calculators recommend 5% superfat as the default), and not worrying too much about this ingredient.

Last edited:
GSE or Roe can be added to your oils when opened to extend the life of the oils and prevent rancidity. I add ROE to all my oils when I open them. GSE & ROE are both considered antioxidents.

GSE briefly had a rep as a miracle ingredient - that most holy of Holy Grails - a natural preservative. Turns out the brand that one author was using contained an artificial preservative of it's own, so while it did preserve things (lotion, etc), it was because of the preservative and not the GSE. 15 years ago I was on a Yahoo soaping group and a few people religiously added it to each batch. They may still do that!

Back