New bath bomb maker.... Advice plssss

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all I'm new to making bath bombs I have done a few batches. I'm finding it so hard to get them just right. I'm finding they look grainy and taking forever to dry. I'm using
300g bicarbonate of soda
100g citric acid
5ml coconut oil
15-20 drops of fragrance
Enough water sprays to form
5 to 10 drops of soap dye
They don't look bad and fizz fantastic going round and round. It's just the above problems can anyone offer advice please
Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20180215_183923.jpg
    IMG_20180215_183923.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 60
Hello and welcome. The simple answer is don’t use water. I use witch hazel or alcohol. Otherwise it just takes practice and testing to get the mixture just right. You can try a bit more oil too. I personally use Shea butter bit that’s just a matter of personal preference.

Hello and welcome. The simple answer is don’t use water. I use witch hazel or alcohol. Otherwise it just takes practice and testing to get the mixture just right. You can try a bit more oil too. I personally use Shea butter bit that’s just a matter of personal preference.

Hi. I usually use almond oil because it is in liquid form. If I use shea or coconut butter, do I just melt it first?
I have good results using witch hazel. When it seems to take a while to dry, I cut back on the oil or add a little arrowroot. I am new to making bath bombs so I will try your advice.

I don't use water or Witch Hazel. I use melted cocoa butter and 50% as much citric acid as baking soda. These bath bombs set up really hard. By the way, the bath bomb in your picture is really neat.:)

I don't use water or Witch Hazel. I use melted cocoa butter and 50% as much citric acid as baking soda. These bath bombs set up really hard. By the way, the bath bomb in your picture is really neat.:)
Thanks that one was nearly perfect and I did actually use another 50g citric acid in that batch. It fizzed amazingly round and round like a rocket. I made these this afternoon but they all still have a grainy look
Hi. I usually use almond oil because it is in liquid form. If I use shea or coconut butter, do I just melt it first?
I have good results using witch hazel. When it seems to take a while to dry, I cut back on the oil or add a little arrowroot. I am new to making bath bombs so I will try your advice.
Yes just melt it down first. This is actually my first batch using coconut oil. Ones I made before I always used olive oil. But found I was getting a funny smell

Thank you. I have now read a good three times to use witch hazel. I think I will give it a try. I'm currently using soap dye but want really vibrant colours. Can you offer any advice on that at all pls

Attachments

• IMG_20180225_151538.jpg
    IMG_20180225_151538.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:
I have issues too since I am new to making BB's. I used WH and it is good, just bought 91% Alcohol and will see if it makes any difference.
I would think that if they are taking most then a day+ to dry then maybe too much oil?

Some use a mix of WH and Alc in a spray bottle.

Thank you. I have now read a good three times to use witch hazel. I think I will give it a try. I'm currently using soap dye but want really vibrant colours. Can you offer any advice on that at all pls
Can't help with bright colors as I tend to keep mine fairly light. I do use bath bomb colorant, you could also use neon colors as long as they are approved for bath bombs. I think you'll need to use quite a bit of colorant to get really bright colors. I also use PS80 to disburse the oils and colorants to keep them from clinging to the tub.

Can't help with bright colors as I tend to keep mine fairly light. I do use bath bomb colorant, you could also use neon colors as long as they are approved for bath bombs. I think you'll need to use quite a bit of colorant to get really bright colors. I also use PS80 to disburse the oils and colorants to keep them from clinging to the tub.
Yes ive heard about that as all I've done is research the last two days. Thank you for your help. Do any of you know where I can get the empty boxes to sell my bombs in? I can't find them anywhere

CB497936-8521-4AC2-B856-BEDE4916B009.jpeg Definitely agree with everyone above. I use witch hazel or butters. But witch hazel is definitely my preferred preference.
If you want the vibrant neon colours, there are plenty available at many different suppliers. Just make sure BB safe. But most sites with tell you if they are. :)
I use a lot of lake colours in mine as well as neons.
I do not use PS80, but I do have SLSA in those fun vibrant recipes. Never ever have I had a problem with ring around the tub. I believe the SLSA helps with that. But also use PS80 As recommended if you want to use a lot of colour. And with lakes and neons, a little goes a long way!

Happy Bombing!!

Picture attached, I used Lake Blue 1 and Lake Yellow 5. It was very vibrant. Lol

Last edited:
View attachment 29162 Definitely agree with everyone above. I use witch hazel or butters. But witch hazel is definitely my preferred preference.
If you want the vibrant neon colours, there are plenty available at many different suppliers. Just make sure BB safe. But most sites with tell you if they are. :)
I use a lot of lake colours in mine as well as neons.
I do not use PS80, but I do have SLSA in those fun vibrant recipes. Never ever have I had a problem with ring around the tub. I believe the SLSA helps with that. But also use PS80 As recommended if you want to use a lot of colour. And with lakes and neons, a little goes a long way!

Happy Bombing!!

Picture attached, I used Lake Blue 1 and Lake Yellow 5. It was very vibrant. Lol
Wow that's beautiful. I'd love mine to do this. So what do u think makes them do this. Sorry absolute beginner here also best place to buy slsa? And I'm not familiar with the colours your referring to... Lake?

Also may I ask. With my current mixture
300g bicarb
150 citric acid
5ml coconut oil
10 to 20 drops fragrance
How much slsa would I add to this and then again how much ps80. Your help is much appreciated thankyou xx

Wow that's beautiful. I'd love mine to do this. So what do u think makes them do this. Sorry absolute beginner here also best place to buy slsa? And I'm not familiar with the colours your referring to... Lake?

Also may I ask. With my current mixture
300g bicarb
150 citric acid
5ml coconut oil
10 to 20 drops fragrance
How much slsa would I add to this and then again how much ps80. Your help is much appreciated thankyou xx

Here is a link to explain colourents :

https://www.renascentbathbody.com.a...ference-between-a-lake-a-dye-a-mica-a-pigment

The thing about Bath Bombs, my dear, and most people will tell you the same thing here and everywhere who make them, it’s all about trial and error. Test test test! Until you find what works for you.
There are hundreds of different ways to achieve that. There is no “perfect” recipe out there. I probably use between 10-15 different recipes in mine. (Each bomb is different).

Many different suppliers carrier SLSA. Just search the sites for it.

The example I showed you above is achieved by adding SLSA (the foaming) and this recipe has about 1 -2 Tsp of it (a little goes a very long way) And adding embeds (spews of colour) gives them that effect. There are definitely tons of threads on here to explain all of that as well. :)

My advice hun..just keep testing until your desired bath bomb is achieved.

B xx

Yes ive heard about that as all I've done is research the last two days. Thank you for your help. Do any of you know where I can get the empty boxes to sell my bombs in? I can't find them anywhere
Your putting the cart before the horse, as a beginner, I'd suggest you don't sell your bath bombs until you get your recipe right and you have done further testing. They are not as easy to make as you think, give away some to friends and relatives and get their feedback. Making bath bombs just to make a quick buck is not the way to go.

Your putting the cart before the horse, as a beginner, I'd suggest you don't sell your bath bombs until you get your recipe right and you have done further testing. They are not as easy to make as you think, give away some to friends and relatives and get their feedback. Making bath bombs just to make a quick buck is not the way to go.

This is great advice. It took me a long time to get several recipes together which consistently produce nice and firm bath bombs. I still test the behavior of any new color, fragrance, essential oil etc,. that I add to my list of ingredients.

As far as boxes to ship them in, Uline will have exactly what you need. I am a firefighter and noticed that every piece of equipment we received at the station was shipped in this brand of box, that is how I discovered them. I usually order boxes in bulk, three different sizes....just make sure to order boxes that will accommodate orders that are under 15 to 16 oz total weight if you plan on using first class mail.

Yes of course. That was more of a generalised question. I shan't be selling for some time as yet. I'm still enjoying testing different recipes etc. I've had my sister and nice test so far and just now feel confident enough to ask a wider range of people. I use a lot of scented wax it's my other hobby. And I've asked admin of a few of my wax groups to product test for me. I really wasn't intending to sell anything as yet. It was just market research for myself. I have a large book I put all of my information in. I wanted to jot it down for future reference. I am well aware of the importance of practice and testing.
Thanks guys

I'm not intending to sell anything for a good while. But I'm well aware of the importance of practice and testing. I have a large book I put everything in. I simply wanted to jot it down in my packaging section for future reference. I'm not out to make a quick buck. That would be totally irresponsible of me.

BUBBLING BATH BOMBS #2  BY TERRI.jpg Hi Claire, This is one of my recipes and it works great! You can adjust up or down and don't pack too tight :) I also use a mooncake press to make beautiful bath bombs!

Back