New Baby, Peacock Gecko

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saved another baby today that dad Houdini was after. The larger one is Lucky that I saved in November which was the same size as this one. It is amazing how fast they grow. Sadly I lost the second baby in Nov, not knowing what happened to it. P. quadriocellata, common name Peacock Day Gecko. Hey, I don't make soap so I gotta post pictures of something. :dance:

20210122_163516.jpeg 20210122_163425.jpeg Hatchling

20210122_163526.jpeg Lucky 2 months old

He is doing well. Still is hiding most all the times but does come out when he wants to eat. Its nice not having to dig him up for feeding

When I had morning geckos, I put removable bamboo or other small tight objects up high and checked them often for eggs. That way, I could move the bamboo into a nursery.

They would lay their eggs up in the lip where the lid snaps into the exoterra tanks. If you look up there, you might be able to see little white circles, thats where a egg was.

I had floral tubes and bamboo all over the place for her to use plus a couple of other tubes and the brat will not use them. she is apparently laying in a plant. I was hoping she would use a corner Sansevera I can get to but nope. I also have a lot of moss in the tank and she might be laying in the moss. They do not glue their eggs so obviously they do not stick them in the edges at the top like Neons will sometimes do.

As soon as I can get my hubby to take to me O'side I am going to get a 36" tall tropical tank and build a tall tropical for them. It is a skinnier tank but sill has more real-estate than this 24" x 24" tall tank. I will attach more floral tubes and see if she uses them with less moss on the sides of the tank, just substrate. Then I can rebuild their tank for the neons. At least they do not eat their offspring.

I put the baby in a new home last night, the 8x8x12 tank Lucky grew up in and the same tank I lost the other baby in. I have discovered Lucky most likely did not hurt the last baby, since the new little devil escaped its new home this morning. I was looking in the tank for it and happened to see a foot and tail walking across the top edge of the tank then suddenly it appeared on the outside screen of the top. It is now back in its makeshift large spice container home. Silly Geck.

I was just wondering when we'd get another Gecko update! Will the new one get the nickname "Sneaker"? 😁
That is a good Name. Sneaky or Sneakers. :nodding: Now the sneaky little devil appears to be pouting, last night the little thing was exploring all over the new tank, today it is sitting in one spot of bamboo under a leaf. I transferred it, to begin with, because it did not seem too happy it the grow-out baby tank. Many folks grow the babies in spice containers and plastic gallon jars, but this one does not seem to like its temp home.

Last edited:
I am sure that last baby did not end well either. Yes, I did find how it escaped and will have to use expanding gorilla glue to glue the top lid down. Exo Terra tanks are not designed well for tiny geckos. I will have to do the same thing when I have baby Neons since they are even smaller than the baby Peacocks.

My babies are doing well. Houdini the barbarian bit the tip of the tail off a new baby a couple of weeks ago before I was able to rescue the little one. I have two more babies since Sneakers. My new babies and Sneakers had to take the long trip to Winnemucca last week since I had no one to take care of them. Tony just loved that!!

Latest posts

Back