New & a Few Q (newb soaper)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xmaker1

Reaction score
Hello I was looking to take up a project with my wife that we could also make a return on selling it through ebay, church, ect. Were going to start off with around the 50-100lb range and I was wondering if anyone could share any recipe resource sites as I've not come across a very large catalog of recipe's. I also had a question as to how anyone (I see many people here also sell soap) made money off the soaps from the recipe's I've seen with all the oil's in them being costly the soap cost more per pound than a steak.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f23/you-ready-sell-your-soap-16002/

I think many (just my humble opinion) will be hesitant to jump in and tackle your questions, request for recipes, etc. There are many, many recipes on the web. You will have to play with many recipes before you come up with one that works best for you. Please read the above thread re: selling. There are many valuable tips included in the entire thread.

Good Luck to you!

I wouldn't start off with a 100lb batch before you know what you're doing and what you're looking for in a bar of soap. If that size batch fails, you are not going to be happy at all.

A good recipe to begin with is something like:

30% olive
30% palm
30 % coconut
10% other oil you like the feel of on your skin.
Learn to determine the SAP values so you can figure out your lye needs, then run it through a lye calculator. Never, ever rely on someone else's recipes.

Thank you for the link a good thing to think over but doesn't really offer any information on starting any process or how to go about it. I don't tend to drop a project once I pick it up and I've been into back yard chemistry for a bit and even have a good bit of bulk sodium hydroxide on hand. I intend to just pick-up the material for good many pounds and do 2lb or so batches as needed I've always been a thrift shopper buying in bulk and at worst I end up with a good many years supply of soap. Shame I was hoping someone would post up some soapers recipe site I wasn't sure how popular DIY soap is to have a searchable index of soap recipes but it sure would be nifty. The maybe making such a website could be my next project after soap once I learn the trade. Thank you all very much and for the beginning information. Still though if anyone should chime in with a tip or two or a link on a really proper starting guide would be great.

No one should start out making big batches of soap. There is a learning curve with soap, just like with anything else. Start with small, one pound batches. Perfect your recipe and then start making larger batches. In my opinion, nobody should sell soap until they have had at least a year of soapmaking and experimenting under their belt. I will post a couple of sites with information and a few recipes, but most people will not part with exact recipes that they have perfected through trial and error and much practice and use of materials.

http://www.millersoap.com/

http://www.soapqueen.com/category/bath-and-body-tutorials/cold-process-soap/

Still though if anyone should chime in with a tip or two or a link on a really proper starting guide would be great.

I think you are in a forum with a proper starting guide, if you want to do your research here you will learn what you need to know. Isg has given you links and there is always youtube and google to type soap recipes in for a search. Kentucky Fried Chicken never gave out their recipe, most soapers won't.

I just intend to get a large amount of supplies to save on bulk purchases and do small batches (1-2lb) it was my understanding from what I have read it's better to work in larger batches as it helps with consistency issues that vary from product to product/scale miss weight's. Plus with at a cure time of a month I'll be running multiple recipe and batches (3 types per weekly batch) or something of that scale. When I take up a project I HAM on it full speed I'd want to do many batches often as possible.

Until you have actually made soap you are assuming an awful lot. Make small batches and learn what the reaction actually looks like. Then experiment with different ingredients until you find a recipe that is reliable and stable.

You have been given some excellent advice You will find that this site is all about teaching people to be thorough in learning how to make these products because it may seem like it's not rocket science, but it is intuitive science which is not taught in school

A book I think you will find extremely interesting is Scientific Soapmaking by Kevin Dunn.

Back