NEVER forget your safety gear

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makes_scents

Reaction score
It is with zero dignity that I post this...I proved without a doubt tonight why you should ALWAYS follow lye safety FULLY....I made a completely stupid mistake tonight and didn't wear goggles....while stick blending my batter it splashed and got into my eye....

Not sure at the moment what to report as to any damage it did long term. As I already only have about 75 percent vision in that eye. I flushed it with cold water for 20 minutes and called Poison Control. After discussing with them what was going on and what symptoms I had it was decided that a trip to the ER was not needed as I already had an 8am appointment with my eye doctor.

Since this was posted in soaping groups last night and I have now seen my eye doc. Somehow I was lucky and although the batter got on my eyeball it did not damage. The eye doc says my quick action in flushing my eye is probably what kept the damage from happening. I was lucky, but I might not have been.

I repeat loudly ALWAYS follow ALL safety measures when making soap. Do not make a stupid decision like I did!

Glad to hear you're ok! Anything to do with vision can be pretty scary!

I have very little vision in one eye and already wear safety lenses almost all the time. I've started wearing something over my mouth and nose now... just cuz you can't be too careful.

That's great to hear that you're okay. I'm super paranoid about caustics as it is. My sister said I looked ridiculous with my old lab coat on but I don't have too many long-sleeve shirts old enough to wear when soaping (and I like looking like a mad scientist). Getting a full face mask is on my list too (I have goggles).

its always a good idea to wear safety glasses/goggles whenever your dong anything that could cause something to get into your eyes. DH got a piece of hot metal in his eye a couple weeks back. Flew off the drill bit and landed smack bang in the center of his pupil. We we got it out quickly and flushed the eye with water and then went to the optometrist to have it checked and luckily no sight damage but there was a scratch on the eye that gonna take up to 6 weeks to heal. Also his vision is gonna be blurry in that eye for a bit till it does heal. Safety glasses are now worn all the time even though hes been doing this job for 15 years before this happened. you can never be too careful in my opinion

The eyes are really the most sensitive organs. On almost all other parts of the body, permanent damage can be avoided if you notice the splash and immediately flush with lots of water for at least 15-20 minutes. But if you get lye in your eye, it can very quickly make you permanently blind. So it's absolutely crucial to always wear safety goggles. There are lots of different models and not all of them are uncomfortable or look stupid, get a pair you like so you actually wear them.

Latest posts

Back