Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewenique

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of H2O cleaning products from France? One product is a small bar of soap called, Netepur, which is a stain remover. The ingredients are palm and coconut oil, water, sodium hydroxide, and tetrasodium etidronate. It is a good stain remover, but it is $12 a bar! I suspect the mystery ingredient is what adds to the cleaning power of this basic bar. So what is tetrasodium etidronate? I've done some Google research and it seems that this chemical and EDTA are similar and sometimes the names are used interchangeably. But are they the same? And how would it increase the soap's ability to lift stains? Any idea what % to use?

Yep, I'd like to try and dupe Netepur. ;)

Tetrasodium etidronate and tetrasodium EDTA are not the same although (it seems) they serve the same purpose. They serve to chelate metal ions in hard water to inhibit scum formation. This is important for a stain remover bar because it is likely it will be used in water that has not been softened and clothes will get dingy as scum builds on it. That is the graying effect we can see in homemade laundry detergent.

Etidronates contain phosphorous whereas EDTA contains nitrogen among other diffences.

It sounds like a fancy soap bar to me. I would try making a stain remover like it with palm and coconut oil (or just 100% CO) with no super fat and added EDTA or etidronate and see if it works for you.

Eta: I'm not sure what percentages although from reading around the forum lately, it seems 0.5% is the go to for EDTA. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
If that's a complete list of ingredients then that $12 bar of soap is nothing special....its just plain soap and you can certainly dupe it. Many people here make their own laundry soap and save a hunk of it to use as a strain pre-treater.....I am one of them.

I use a chelator (chelater?) in my soaps, but prefer sodium citrate which is safer than sodium edta and possibly tetrasodium editronate. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396676

Has anyone heard of H2O cleaning products from France? One product is a small bar of soap called, Netepur, which is a stain remover. The ingredients are palm and coconut oil, water, sodium hydroxide, and tetrasodium etidronate. It is a good stain remover, but it is $12 a bar! I suspect the mystery ingredient is what adds to the cleaning power of this basic bar. So what is tetrasodium etidronate? I've done some Google research and it seems that this chemical and EDTA are similar and sometimes the names are used interchangeably. But are they the same? And how would it increase the soap's ability to lift stains? Any idea what % to use?

Yep, I'd like to try and dupe Netepur. ;)
I think it’s Borax

Back