Neem Oil Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StormyK

Reaction score
15% neem oil soap with a first go at a 'hidden feather'. I was aiming for the image of a plant... ... ... didnt really achieve that, but I'm pretty happy with it anyway. I dont even mind the smell! lol

I used a combination of geranium, tea tree, lavender, and cedarwood. I think they work with the neem scent rather well - it mostly just comes off as earthy and warm.

20200125_235006.jpg

Well, I think they look like plants, and the colors fit neem soap well. I actually like the smell of neem soap after it cures, and your eo blend is a good choice. Better than any hidden feather I ever did.

May I recommend that you cover the rack you have your soaps sitting on with either light toweling, parchment paper, wax paper, etc. It is possible that even stainless steel, powder-coated and Teflon racks can lend to spots of DOS. Better safe than sorry.

@cmzaha - thank you for the very kind words! I've also placed a sheet of parchment on my racks as I just recently read about metal racks possibly contributing to DOS, but the warning is very much appreciated none-the less!

Actually I think it does look like plants :)

Nice color combo.. Scent too. Would not have thought geranium complements neem but the rest do.

@Sony Sasankan My understanding is that you really cant choose what oils stay as free-floating after the soaponification process so, while I used a 6% superfat for the recipe, I just included the Neem oil as I would any other oil and let the soap do its thing. :)

@Sony Sasankan My understanding is that you really cant choose what oils stay as free-floating after the soaponification process so, while I used a 6% superfat for the recipe, I just included the Neem oil as I would any other oil and let the soap do its thing. :)

Ah... I have yet to try it as a normal oil. Its got a very strong interesting smell. I was sure none of the health benefits will make it past the lye. So I used it as a 10% superfat... which I think was a little too strong for me. Plus I didnt use any other EO. Definitely going to do next batch with Neem, Lavender and lemongrass and see how it turns out :cool:

Neem is kinda similar to lard and palm as far as its fatty acids go. It's a nice addition to soap if you don't mind the odor. The smell does mellow a lot as the soap cures, so I'm pretty okay with it.

Lovely soap, @StormyK -- attractive pattern and colorway -- well done!

I use it up to 20% in bar soap and actually like the smell once it cures and mellows out.

I do not know for sure what properties last but one of my daughters uses the facial soleseif bar with neem I make for her, and it really helps her. Granted it is probably a combo of the salt and neem, but my regular neem soap without brine also helps out her skin.

I use it up to 20% in bar soap and actually like the smell once it cures and mellows out.

I can 100% see that. I'm still not sure if it smells "good" to me yet, but I dont at all mind the earthy-ness of it - and I'm nowhere near cured yet!

I do not know for sure what properties last but one of my daughters uses the facial soleseif bar with neem I make for her, and it really helps her. Granted it is probably a combo of the salt and neem, but my regular neem soap without brine also helps out her skin.

Hey, there's something to be said for anecdotal evidence!

Latest posts

Back