Neem oil in a pine tar recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Reaction score
My daughter has dry skin, psoriasis and ezcema (poor girl). I am going to make a pine tar soap, basically like this (what I"m thinking so far):
1649700461576.png

As I think of this, I wonder about Neem oil, which I've never worked with before. Is that a bad idea, or would that be a good addition to a pine tar soap?

I made a batch of pine tar soap for a few friends at the senior residence where my mother lives. It did not soothe their eczema. When I was young, a neighbor gently rubbed rock salt into my mother's hands to cure her psoriasis. It did!

I've often wondered if a salt bar would work. :smallshrug:

In any case, I would try straight pine tar on your daughter before making the soap, just as it is used to treat horses, to make sure she doesn't have an allergic reaction to it. As for the rest of your ingredients, I assume she washes with that formula on a regular basis (without the PT) and has no negative reaction? 🤔

I made a batch of pine tar soap for a few friends at the senior residence where my mother lives. It did not soothe their eczema. When I was young, a neighbor gently rubbed rock salt into my mother's hands to cure her psoriasis. It did!

I've often wondered if a salt bar would work. :smallshrug:

In any case, I would try straight pine tar on your daughter before making the soap, just as it is used to treat horses, to make sure she doesn't have an allergic reaction to it. As for the rest of your ingredients, I assume she washes with that formula on a regular basis (without the PT) and has no negative reaction? 🤔

She likes the salt bars, but they don't really help with the itching. She isn't allergic to anything and likes my homemade soaps, particularly deer tallow (but I'm out of deer tallow). I don't go heavy on coconut oil, but otherwise she does fine. Her night RN job has been very stressful with Covid patients, and I think that's part of what's going on with her skin right now. I just thought pine tar would be something to try for her. Her husband likes my charcoal bars, and she's used them too with no bad effects, but she didn't love them.

Her night RN job has been very stressful with Covid patients, and I think that's part of what's going on with her skin right now.
You have your work cut out for you. As far as I know, there is no topical cure for eczema, including soap. Customers who used my PT soap used it to eliminate dandruff. It worked for them.

Years ago, I had a friend who was under a good deal of stress when she left the convent at age 35. Her father, an MD, prescribed 2 martinis every evening! 😄

Of course, there are non-alcoholic options to relieve stress -- Excercise, Meditation, Tai Chi & Yoga to name a few.

A SMF member posted this recipe. I tried for friend that suffers eczema & psoriasis & they love it.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/a-soap-as-a-drug-from-a-local-soap-maker.85901/post-918173
💜 Thanks for letting me know that your friend likes this recipe. I've tinkered with it a few times, but that is still pretty close to what I make for him. It's the only soap he will use in the shower, because most others make his skin peel, flake, and itch, or he gets flares.

I have psoriasis & it wasn't until I started on Humira injections about 18 months ago, that I found relief from this extremely uncomfortable disease.

I do get itching, but I believe it is weight loss related because it started after the weight loss & I have ruled out the other medications & supplements I take. Not a fun side effect of weight loss, and I'm hoping once the body settles into a new normal, it will subside. I am happy that my back no longer hurts every time I stand for long periods of time, which is why I decided to give weight loss a shot.

In any case, I use Pine Tar soap and it does relieve the skin itching temporarily, but it returns. I have had to resort to a back scratcher some of the time. I do use lotion sometimes, for temporary relief; can't manipulate my arms enough to apply lotion to all of my back, though, which is why I need to use the back scratcher (or take benadryl & then I just go to sleep.)

I'd use a lower CO percentage than you have in your sample recipe, as that's too high for my skin, but each to her own.

I have not yet added neem to a PT soap as I have not had a need to make more PT soap yet, but do intend to give it a try one of these days.

I do get itching, but I believe it is weight loss related because it started after the weight loss
Interesting. 🤔 Hmmm. I have neither eczema nor psoriasis, Deo Gratias, but I do keep my eyes peeled for causes and remedies as I know people who suffer from these conditions.

As for itching -- 5% lavender in jojoba (or other soothing long-shelf life oil like FCO) works well for me. Also works wonders for lye burns -- soothes with no scarring. Don't ask me how I know! :D

For back pain, I find instant relief from my Achy-Breaky Balm. I'm happy to send you a tube if you'd like to try it. PM me. :)

Attachments

• Achy Breaky Label.png
    Achy Breaky Label.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Achy Breaky Testimonial.pdf
    58.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Interesting. 🤔 Hmmm. I have neither eczema nor psoriasis, Deo Gratias, but I do keep my eyes peeled for causes and remedies as I know people who suffer from these conditions.

As for itching -- 5% lavender in jojoba (or other soothing long-shelf life oil like FCO) works well for me. Also works wonders for lye burns -- soothes with no scarring. Don't ask me how I know! :D

For back pain, I find instant relief from my Achy-Breaky Balm. I'm happy to send you a tube if you'd like to try it. PM me. :)
You did send me a tube & I do like it. However, the weight lost also lost the back pain. Since shedding 25 pounds (now may be closer to 30 pounds) no more back pain, even after standing almost all day long. No more need to take multiple sit-down breaks while cooking or making soap. It's incredible.

I will see if I have any jojoba or MCT oil. I do have plenty of lavender EO and love the fragrance, so it's worth a try for the itching. Thanks!

Now, if only I could Gumby my arms to reach all parts of my back when applying it. ;)

Since shedding 25 pounds (now may be closer to 30 pounds) no more back pain, even after standing almost all day long. No more need to take multiple sit-down breaks while cooking or making soap. It's incredible.

Just wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss! I'm glad you're reaping the benefits!

I'm also taking notes on all the remedies being listed here :)

Now, if only I could Gumby my arms to reach all parts of my back when applying it. ;)
Haha. I know what you mean. I resorted to applying lotion to a certain spot on one "bullnose" corner of a bathroom wall. Then I was able to back up to it and rub up and down and back and forth... like a bear in the woods. Ahhh what a relief it was! 😁

Latest posts

Back