Neem and frankincense?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Anyone ever use frankincense EO in neem soap? I'm wondering how well it might blend or cover the natural scent of neem. Might also add a touch of patch, maybe help deepen the scent a little.

Thats been my experience too but I'm using a fair amount of neem this time and I want to start using the soap as soon as possible. Normally I cure my neem for 4-6 months before using to let the smell fade.

I made a neem lotion with tea tree and lavender. It smelled nice to me. Frankincense has a similar enough scent profile to tea tree that it might work

Oakmoss sounds nice but I don't have any and don't really want to order any just now. I should get some next time I do place a order though. Any particular reason you dilute it?

I'm only using EO's this batch. I would be ok with just patch but my hubby hates the stuff and this will be a shampoo bar, I expect the scent to linger on the hair longer than it would on skin.

I thought about using a little lavender too. Suppose it would help balance out the earthy EO's pretty well.

You might try using oakmoss 10% diluted in jojoba to anchor/deepen the Frankincense. In addition to a nice scent, it is also good for the skin. I can't quite "mind-smell" the combo of Frank & Patch. I would just up the Frank or possibly use Amber FO? Here's a link that might help:

https://www.doterra.com/US/en/blog/spotlight-frankincense-oil
I just used Oakmoss Absolute with Lemongrass, Litsea, Cedarwood Texas if smells yummy.

I use a combinations of these Eo's in my 27% Neem Oil bars: Lemongrass, Lavender, Tea Tree, Cajeput, Rosemary, Patch, Frankincense, Bergamot and Eucalyptus. They all work well. I do not necessarily use all the above in one batch but I usually do a mix of at least 3 EO's. I like Frankincense and Lemongrass or Litsea with some Cedarwood. Just a few ideas

Oakmoss sounds nice but I don't have any and don't really want to order any just now. I should get some next time I do place a order though. Any particular reason you dilute it?
It's thick! I used to dip a toothpick in it then mix the tiny blob with whatever. Not very consistent results. So to get it workable, I add it to jojoba to extend shelf life, use it at 1% or so to round out fragrance blends... it blends well with just about everything... and helps to stick the scent.

The neem I ordered doesn't smell near as bad as my last bottle. Its more nutty and earthy instead of rotten onion. Also discovered that I don't care for straight frankincense so I mixed it 50/50 with lavender and added a few drops of anise and patch to try and round it out.

Not the best blend but hopefully it will mellow as it cures, its very medicinal and camphorous smelling right now. Made this soap HP so I will be able to cut it soon and see how it mixed with the neem.

Latest posts

Back