Needing some validation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AND I've belonged to Mardi Gras Krewes in New Orleans for years and between the Krewe fees/our costumes/throws I spend an average of $2K/year to ride on a float and throw beads and things to strangers ONE day a year!! My husband used to think I was crazy for doing this, but now he loves being in the crowd and bragging "That's my wife up there!" I always save the best throws for him :)

I attend a knitting retreat every year; four days, three nights. I easily spend $1500+ between registration, hotel, flight, transport to/from airport both ways, food and beverage and of course, exclusive yarn shopping. It doesn’t feel like a lot because I spread the cost over the year via a payroll deduction into a second account.

I kind of felt guilty about going this year. It was canceled last year because of Covid and my faux ‘retreat’ was a disaster of epic proportions and since the organizer wasn’t sure if we were going to have one this year, I used the money for us to take an extended vacation. The week we got back, the Retreat was announced and I was pretty bummed ‘cuz I couldn’t afford to go. Hubby looked at me and said I couldn’t afford not to go as I hadn’t had a break in almost two years.

I have a collection of other maker's soaps! Like an art collection. I don't use them (Although if I'm new to purchasing sometimes I will buy one "less pretty" <---subjectively speaking to try out their formula) I just set them on a shelf to look at!

Speaking of collecting soaps, are we doing any holiday trades in the forum this year? I was bummed that we haven't had one for a couple of years.

I came late to this party! My first thought was "I haven't bought soap from anyone, ever. I need to do that" And then you morphed it into not having guilt feelings for your other hobbies! If it has to do with needles, I've done it, tried it, brought the store! But mostly now it's quilting.

I retired with a fabric stash big enough to "choke a horse", as my mother would have said. And since we traveled for 2 years trying to find a place to retire, I also had lots of UFO's (UnFinished Objects) that I started during our traveling years. Yet the last year I was there, I bought three small quilts at our guilds annual fundraiser and didn't blink an eye over that.
I actually feel guilty that I have a stash now, since it doesn't help support our local quilt stores. I do need thread and a lot of it, an occasional tool and I have to admit I'm a pattern junkie! So I am helping to support them in a fashion.

Why not support your favorite soaper in the same way? It doesn't matter if it's a local store front or a small business online. They need sales to stay alive and produce their videos or whatever form you are getting your information from. Go forth and buy and have no guilty feelings!

Officially certified UFO hoarder here! 👽🖖🤪

I actually was, more than once, on the verge to start a “Things I have too many of, and I love it” thread.

I have 3 kilo of magnets.

Those you stick on the fridge.

Interested? It is a great hobby.

You should definitely start.

And the intricate and MICROSCOPIC crevises and cracks does not take long to clean if you have som surgical instruments.

No more than a week or two and you`re done...😬

Sooo... how about it...

Ah yes... buyers remorse: a feeling of regret experienced after making a purchase, typically one regarded as unnecessary or extravagant.

Having been a salesman for over 35 years in both retail and wholesale building materials, I experienced a lot of seller remorse when a contractor would call me at 7 AM in the morning screaming, cursing, calling me every name in the book except a homo sapien because their materials were late on delivery, some were "broken", some were "missing" (not according to the driver), he ordered the wrong item, etc. etc., etc.

We all experience remorse, its a fact of life. Some of us experience remorse every morning when we get out of bed, not me though. I love the mornings!

As a matter of fact I am guilty now of excruciating remorse because I have a plethora of fragrance oils, a veritable plethora, a multitude of little 30ml to 16oz bottles of olfactory stimulation! My soap making area is as fragrant as walking past a Sephora store with the doors open or a perfume counter at Macy's. What is a person to do? My house mates cast me glances of doubt and amazement sometimes. In the back of their minds wondering if the ol' geezer has gone completely daft and should they call the dudes with the white jackets with arm restraints.

Maybe I can call Anderson Cooper or Don Lemmon and they can book me on their respective shows so I can share my pain... NOT! LOL! o_O :secret:

I think we need this thread...

I hope this thread can live on for all people to come here for validation! I come from the theatre and we usually say something along the lines of "If you're nervous or upset or frustrated, it means that you care." So please, people of SMF, TREAT YO SELF!!! Enjoy it! You deserve it!

THEY CAME TODAY!!!!! This little box cost me $120 CAD; shipping itself was the equivalent of over 50% of my subtotal, I'm assuming tax and import duty were included in that fee as I didn't have to pay COD. And then you have to factor in the exchange rate.

1635379743821.png

They are absolutely gorgeous! I'm super pleased with the scents; I'm usually not a fan of florals, fruits, or sweet smells, but these have a very nice balance. So far, The Keep Smillin' is my favourite with the Grape Idea a close second. I also bought the Riversong perfume oil. As a proud Whovian, I was very excited for it. The scent remnds me of Lily of the Valley which grows all over my mother's house every spring. I absolutely love it! Still super conflicted about the price, specially considering my budget is very tight already, but I definitely do not regrets getting them!

1635379818247.png

They are beautiful! And I'm shocked you were able to order them. I never make it to the website in time to get any! She's my favorite Youtuber, besides Ophelia's Soapery.
I just got an order from a soap maker I follow on TikTok- Country Lather Soapworks. Its the first soap I've ordered... I realized a while back I've not used any other homemade soaps but mine and I needed to stop being such a soap snob! :rolleyes: So I joined a soap trading group on Facebook and traded with a couple other soap makers... here and on Facebook. I was so excited when Wild Plantanica sent me a bar of her soap with my last order (although my son stole it and I never got to try it!). It is so valid and fun!

Officially certified UFO hoarder here! 👽🖖🤪

I actually was, more than once, on the verge to start a “Things I have too many of, and I love it” thread.

Did we start this thread? Because I rotate through my hobbies and have many unfinished projects lying about... Also I have two more I'm looking into starting and it has become really involved! I want to make candles but only so I can make some cement candle holders. Plus I ordered my daughter a Coraline tumbler for Christmas and I really wanna make some of those...Fabric/epoxy tumblers, cause they are beautiful but also $50!!!

Would it be like a UFO hoarder's anonymous group... because I might need that! :eek:

They are beautiful! And I'm shocked you were able to order them. I never make it to the website in time to get any!

She's still got several from this launch! I JUST checked because I wanted to remind myself of the fragrance notes. You should hurray up cause I think the site will go down soon as they get ready for the October November launch! You won't have to pay as much as I had to because you live in the states.

edit: The November launch; we're alr4eady in October.

Latest posts

Back