Need to make a switch...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know some/all are going to disagree. The best fix for pits is no deodorant at all. It takes a while for yor body to get used to it if you have been using deodorant all your life. I can count on my two hands how many times in my life that I have used deodorant.

Its not good for you. Natural or otherwise clogs your pores. Using deodorant makes you need deodorant.

Have you heard of anyone using Miss Doyle’s recipe?
I haven't. I've seen several on WSP and I think Making Cosmetics has one. I will probably try to do a bit of a dupe of Schmidts because that's what I use normally, but I don't think they use the Zinc, so I'll jazz it up a bit.

I also think they use baking soda, which I'm going to nix

Last edited:
I know some/all are going to disagree. The best fix for pits is no deodorant at all. It takes a while for yor body to get used to it if you have been using deodorant all your life. I can count on my two hands how many times in my life that I have used deodorant.

Its not good for you. Natural or otherwise clogs your pores. Using deodorant makes you need deodorant.
I believe that about antiperspirant, since our bodies use perspiration to detox.

But since deo by definition doesn’t prevent sweating, and only works to prevent the skin bacteria from turning smelly, I don’t view it as unhealthy like the antiperspirant is.

I have used the biological spray that re-set the mix of bacteria on the skin to a normal balance. That helped a lot when we lived in TX and my pits had this funky smell that nothing would eliminate: not even scrubbing with soap and a loofah! This stink pretty much disappeared within days after we moved to a drier climate.

But works best for me, sadly, is to be low carb. I wasn’t full keto, but pretty close, and I had zero pit funk during that time. Not only did my pits stop stinking; the mosquitos stopped biting me, too. But that’s another topic.

Now that we are more paleo-type eaters, I do have to use deo to prevent some stink (but nothing like the Texas-induced funk). This is my homemade deo with safe ingredients. It works great unless I eat something real sugary, which brings back the scary funk for a day. Using the IR sauna gets it out of me pretty fast if I remember to use it.

Last edited:
But works best for me, sadly, is to be low carb. I wasn’t full keto, but pretty close, and I had zero pit funk during that time. Not only did my pits stop stinking; the mosquitos stopped biting me, too. But that’s another topic.
I had the exact opposite happen when I went low carb. I stunk to high heaven (breath, gas, body). I can't handle that life.

I agree about antiperspirant. I think for deodorant, it depends on the composition. Fragrances, baking soda, and coconut oil can all contribute to inflamed skin, but you can certainly formulate without these.

I had the exact opposite happen when I went low carb. I stunk to high heaven (breath, gas, body). I can't handle that life.

I agree about antiperspirant. I think for deodorant, it depends on the composition. Fragrances, baking soda, and coconut oil can all contribute to inflamed skin, but you can certainly formulate without these.
I don’t use any of those in my deo, either. Most fragrances give me headaches. Straight CO (unsaponified) doesn’t agree at all with my skin or hair. Baking soda didn’t bother my skin but I didn’t like the feel of it.

Wax, butters, arrowroot, and mag do the trick for me. But I might try the zinc everyone is raving about, just to see if it makes a difference.

Ok so i too bought the ebook and i think it is a 50/50 thing. Some good and some tweaking as she says. I really like SMF magnesium/babassu formula and i mix with low % of cera bellina wax for easier application which is not as sticky as beeswax. I think i will try the zinc rico and see how that adds to my deo, but I don’t want to go into adding all those other ingredients because now it has gone from simple to more complicated with ingredients that the SMF discussed adds stains to clothes.

Ya low carb made me stink too. Its the ketones. Also, after working with the dieticians in my iffice i have learned the hard way (headaches etc) that our bodies need some carbs to function.

I believe that about antiperspirant, since our bodies use perspiration to detox.

But since deo by definition doesn’t prevent sweating, and only works to prevent the skin bacteria from turning smelly, I don’t view it as unhealthy like the antiperspirant is.

I have used the biological spray that re-set the mix of bacteria on the skin to a normal balance. That helped a lot when we lived in TX and my pits had this funky smell that nothing would eliminate: not even scrubbing with soap and a loofah! This stink pretty much disappeared within days after we moved to a drier climate.

Now that we are more paleo-type eaters, I do have to use deo to prevent some stink (but nothing like the Texas-induced funk). This is my homemade deo with safe ingredients. It works great unless I eat something real sugary, which brings back the scary funk for a day. Using the IR sauna gets it out of me pretty fast if I remember to use it.
I also have zero pit funk when keto! Currently low carb and a little deodorant is nice. No carbs necessary! Just need more salt.

I don’t use any of those in my deo, either. Most fragrances give me headaches. Straight CO (unsaponified) doesn’t agree at all with my skin or hair. Baking soda didn’t bother my skin but I didn’t like the feel of it.

Wax, butters, arrowroot, and mag do the trick for me. But I might try the zinc everyone is raving about, just to see if it makes a difference.
Where’d you get your mag? I plan on using some tallow and shea butter because my skin loves them so much. I’ve been making my own tallow based skin care for about 10 years and now I’m developing a line of products that all have it as an ingredient. Got a couple 5g buckets of pasture raised tallow and it’s divine!

@cmzaha you can consider writing up/selling your recipes if you aren’t working craft shows. I’m sure you could write a fantastic book or two (or more) with all your years of experience selling and making.
I have been considering doing this, but cannot get my daughter on board with her fantastic recipes. She has a Marshmallow soap that no one comes close to plus a shippable frosting can that be used with both m&p, cp or as a stand-alone shave soap. Honestly, I am too new to this quitting to know if I want to actually give up my tried and true to the general public. As it is now I pick and choose who I give my recipes to.

Back to the topic. Remember Zinc ricinoleate is not Zinc it is actually derived from castor seed. If using actual Zinc you have to use the finest powder you can buy and run it through a strainer since like MH it will not actually dissolve and will settle to the bottom of your deodorant.

My formula works perfectly well with no fragrance added and that is what I use exclusively. I only add fragrance if it is requested and very seldom use EO. EO and be very irritating. I do use Lavender EO just because she is 12 and wants fragrance, which I use at .6% never higher. She actually alternates with a non-fragranced one I sent her when or if the Lavender starts to make her itchy. Over the last year of my markets most of my customers changed to non-fragranced.

Edited to add: Use a fine strainer to strain the MH and Zinc Oxide.

I also have zero pit funk when keto! Currently low carb and a little deodorant is nice. No carbs necessary! Just need more salt.

Where’d you get your mag? I plan on using some tallow and shea butter because my skin loves them so much. I’ve been making my own tallow based skin care for about 10 years and now I’m developing a line of products that all have it as an ingredient. Got a couple 5g buckets of pasture raised tallow and it’s divine!
Yes, I'm all about tallow for skin care! While I like lard better for soap, tallow suits my skin the best for leave-on products.

Sadly, my mag was from a destash group, and I haven't had to buy any since getting that awhile back. Hopefully someone else can chime in with a recommendation for that?

I have been considering doing this, but cannot get my daughter on board with her fantastic recipes. She has a Marshmallow soap that no one comes close to plus a shippable frosting can that be used with both m&p, cp or as a stand-alone shave soap. Honestly, I am too new to this quitting to know if I want to actually give up my tried and true to the general public. As it is now I pick and choose who I give my recipes to.
Carolyn, you are smart to hang on to those recipes for a bit! You are very generous about sharing info, but your excellent formulations are worth $$$. When you and/or your daughter are ready, people will gladly pay for tried and true recipes. I for one would buy your e-book in a heartbeat! So give it some time and see where it goes.

I haven't. I've seen several on WSP and I think Making Cosmetics has one. I will probably try to do a bit of a dupe of Schmidts because that's what I use normally, but I don't think they use the Zinc, so I'll jazz it up a bit.

I also think they use baking soda, which I'm going to nix
I've worked at duplicating Schmidt's as well, but haven't perfected it yet. Wondering how your formulating is working.

Back