need synthetic preservative

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lambrecht

Reaction score
Hello Dear Friends
I newbie in soap making and i want to produce cp soaps.
I need to use a synthetic preservative in my product ( NOT NATURAL ) and read than "paraben" family is good and have low cost .
what is your suggestion ???
Thank you

"From" http://makeup.about.com/od/makeupterms/g/Parabens.htm

Definition: A chemical compound often found in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and even in some food. Most of the time, there is only 1% or less paraben concentration added to cosmetic products. They use parabens as a preservative, to help prevent fungi, mold, and bacteria, which helps to prolong the product's shelf life. Parabens are a hot topic currently because of the charges of parabens acting as estrogen compounds in the body, which affect the endocrine system.

Also Known As: methyl, propyl, butyl and ethyl (alkyl-p-hydroxybenzoates)

Common Misspellings: Parebens, Paribens, Parabins

This is a good article on other options that may work for you.

http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/preservatives-in-soap.html

Todd

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your answer
Is paraben prevent from rancidity also ? or i should you other thing ??

With CP soap you do not need a preservative. Soap is naturally high ph and therefore it's not needed. If you are concerned with the stability of your oils you could add some ROE to your oils when you open them and it will help greatly.

Unless your country requires preservative added to soap, you need not use it. I know nothing about your laws, though, so I was trying to not say anything.

Ditto what the others have said- preservatives are not needed in lye-based soap, especially parabens, which are not effective in anything with a pH over 8. The normal pH range of fully cured lye-based soaps usually comes to rest somewhere between 9 and 12, which is able to keep lots of nasties away all by itself.

IrishLass :)

Back