Need swirl ideas for cavity molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinStraight

Reaction score
I almost exclusively make salt soap for its simplicity and just because I like the way it feels, but I hate cutting it, so I got some cavity molds. My problem is, I can't think of many ways to make it look interesting - in-the-pot swirls are getting boring! Any advice on switching it up? I wish I could do something a little more "feathery" and precise, like a Taiwan swirl, rather than the chunky, blurred effect that I can't avoid with in-the-pot swirls. I have nooo idea how I'd get that effect in a tiny 4oz cavity, though.

Try the ribbon pour for your cavity molds. I think it will really lend itself to individual cavity molds very well. See newbie's tutorial video here. Be sure to bring the soap to light trace & not just emulsion, otherwise you do end up with a bit too much melding of colors when you pour. I did this yesterday in 1 pound molds. Although I love the result I did get, it was not what I was aiming for, because I poured with my soap batter too thin. Also you do need a container with a long thin pouring spout similar to the one pictured in the video. I found some at Dollar Tree or one of those Dollar Stores (NOT DG, they don't have it.)

Have you tried any of the multiple color pouring techniques like layering and so forth in the smaller molds? Or squirting colored soap batter from squirt bottles? You could make some interesting designs that way. See mzimm's post here for her spectacular look she got using the squirt bottles in this month's challenge.

I always liked the looks of these

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaK5sm0jmc[/ame]

I also do what I call a plop n glob, I just spoon thick batter in different colors into the mold randomly. Its not feathery or delicate but I like them.

Back