Need some help!

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

mappam564

Reaction score
We moved to Ecuador about 1-1/2 years ago and it has taken me that long to find all of the ingredients needed to do CP!! I finally found LYE - BUT it is only 98%... Yesterday I made my first TEST batch and using a "normal" recipe it would NOT trace.

I finally got it to trace - okay I did something you should NEVER DO - I just kept adding "stuff" till it DID trace - so I have no idea what the recipe ended up being!! It is resting now.

How should I adjust any recipe for = this %Lye And does the fact that I am at an altitude of 8400 ft make a difference??

THANKS SO Much - I feel like SUCH a newbie!! Pam

lionprincess00

SPONSOR
Reaction score
Most lye isn't 100% pure. If you post your original recipe, we can take a look at it and see what went wrong. Did you use a sick blender? Is it sodium hydroxide lye (and not potassium hydroxide)? Recipe and these questions to start...we're here to help!
:)

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
By 98%, do you mean that the container says 98% sodium hydroxide, or do you mean that the bottle says 100% sodium hydroxide, but that the company has assayed it as having a 98% purity? I ask, because as I understand it, there's a difference. I don't mind using 100% sodium hydroxide with a 98% purity (or even a little less than that), but I would hesitate to use any sodium hydroxide that says 98% sodium hydroxide on the bottle ingredients. It would make me wonder what the other 2% of stuff was that was added to it.

IrishLass :)

Last edited:

mappam564

Reaction score
Okay just got the bottle =
says Sodium hydroxide 98%, 1,3,5 triazina-2,4,6 (1H,3H,5H) - Triono 1,3,5-Tricioro,90%, Sodium Chioride

This is as close as I could find ANYWHERE here! It is FLAKE form. Not like anything I have used in the USA.

I need a recipe for using things from the grocery store.

I can get:
Tallow/Lard
Olive
Sunflower

I found some "liquid" coconut oil??? not sure exactly what it is?
I also found a TINY bottle (maybe 1oz) of Castor oil at a Pharmacy

Not much to go on.

Any Ideas would be a HUGE help as I really want to get back into CP.

My husband passed away 4 months ago and I need something to DO.

THANKS SO MUCH = I KNEW I could count on you guys!!

Seawolfe

Reaction score
Unless you went to some laboratory, your lye wouldn't be any purer here in the US. And flake form isn't uncommon here.

Did you use a stickblender?

You really cant just add things to a recipe - then you have no idea how to fix it if its dangerous.

A good basic recipe with what you have there would be

Lard 65 %
Coconut Oil 15 %
Olive oil 15 %
Castor oil 5% (or if you dont have castor use 20% Olive oil).
5% superfat

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Okay just got the bottle =
says Sodium hydroxide 98%, 1,3,5 triazina-2,4,6 (1H,3H,5H) - Triono 1,3,5-Tricioro,90%, Sodium Chioride

I just looked up 1,3,5 triazina-246- Wikepedia lists it as being Cyanuric acid and is used as a precursor or a component of bleaches, disinfectants and herbicides: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanuric_acid

...and the Triono 135 is otherwise known as Trichloroisocyanuric acid, which is a disinfectant and bleaching agent, and is used as a bactericide and algaecide that's mainly used for swimming pools and dyestuffs in the textile industry:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroisocyanuric_acid

I'm sure these are not the impurities that we might expect our 100% sodium hydroxide to have. They sound more like actual ingredients deliberately added to the lye to form some kind of industrial cleaner.

Hopefully DeeAnna can weigh in on this.

IrishLass :)

Seawolfe

Reaction score
Oh good point IL - I was just looking at that 98% NaOH. Whats that other 90%? that makes no sense.

mappam564

Reaction score
Thanks - I hope someone can tell me if that means I need to add more or less or increase the water etc etc.

Does anyone know if altitude makes a difference in the "resting" period or not? I am in the Andes of Ecuador.

Jstar

Reaction score
Oh good point IL - I was just looking at that 98% NaOH. Whats that other 90%? that makes no sense.
That other 90% has me wondering too...:think:

I personally wouldn't use it again until we can get DeeAnna in here.

What the name of the lye Pam?

galaxyMLP

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a wee bit concerning:

According to wikipedia:

Cyanuric acid is mainly used as a precursor to N-chlorinated cyanurates, which are used to disinfect water. The dichloro derivative is prepared by direct chlorination:

[C(O)NH]3 + 2 Cl2 + 2 NaOH → [C(O)NCl]2[C(O)NH]
This species is typically converted to its sodium salt, sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione. Further chlorination gives trichloroisocyanuric acid, [C(O)NCl]3. These N-chloro compounds serve as disinfectants and algicides for swimming pool water.[1] It stabilizes the chlorine in the pool and prevents the chlorine from being quickly consumed by sunlight.

All 3 components from that stuff that Pam bought, NaoH = sodium hydroxide, Sodium chloride is the source of the Cl-, and C(O)NH]3 is the cyanuric acid and are in that equation.

I dont think this stuff is mostly sodium hydroxide once it hits water. I think it is meant to react to be either a water treatment chemical or otherwise a cleaner of sorts.

I would not use it to make soap. You are creating a completely different chemical when that "98% sodium hydroxide" comes in contact with water.

ETA: Did you get this from a pool supply store?\

ETA2: Ok, so it needs free chlorine (Cl2) but I still think the same principle may apply

Last edited:

mappam564

Reaction score
It is "Lejia" "Sello Rojo" (used to clean toilets and sinks etc) It is the ONLY lye I can find here in Ecuador.

At first I was told I couldn't get any at all. Then I found this. I have checked everywhere I could, asked everyone I could think of.

You can't even buy baking soda here! I felt lucky to find this.

Is there a way to extract or "cleanse" it? so I can use it?

The soap has set-up and I can un-mold it from a silicone mold. I have not done so yet and have not done a "zap" test. Just made it yesterday.

Jstar

Reaction score
Ok, look in the plumbing section of the hardware store..look for drain cleaners..but make sure it says 98% or 100% sodium hydroxide, preferably crystals.

I think someone here mentioned they use Rooto Brand, and I have Roebic Brand..so those both are ok...if you find another brand, and are unsure..try snapping a pic for us before you buy so you dont waste money ;)

I also found this online..not sure if this is close to you or not..but they do distribute sodium hydroxide pellets in Ecuador

https://www.akzonobel.com/finechemicals/distributors/pellets_distributors/

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO NOT zap test that soap until/unless you are sure it is safe to go into your mouth.

galaxyMLP

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not zap test that soap either... :( if you don't know what's in there, you don't want to touch it to your tounge!

Last edited:

mappam564

Reaction score
Thank you ALL soo much! I will go to the hardware store and look at that section and see if I can find another brand - something that is closer to what I need!

Very Frustrating! I really want to get back into making CP!!

mappam564

Reaction score
THANKS - we do have Boyaca here in Cuenca - I know right where it is located! I will try there and see what I can find!

Great news - Would never even thought of looking there!!!

Amazing just how much we take for granted in USA when we just order our supplies and then make our soap LOL.....Even fragrance/essential oils are hard to find - ho hum - keep on truckin'....

Latest posts