need some help naming a soap.....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
The soap in question has almost 50% deer tallow in it...and it's wonderful! It's been curing for 6 weeks and in spite of the fact I usually wait for a full 2 months to pass before trying a soap I couldn't resist(sound familiar, anyone?).
With that said, I'm having a bit of a dilemma on what to call it. I've got 4 or so names that come to mind but it seems they're a tad controversial to the crunchy set around me. The best I can come up with is simply" Respect soap", along the lines of Native Americans respecting an animal's spirit by utilizing as much of the animal as possible.
Before I get my graphic artist down the block to make me a label , I thought I would put it put to all of you.....So many thanks!

Very simply I would just list it as tallow and name it after the fragrance. LOL, although I think "Bambi Bubbles" is hilarious. If you live in a hunting area I would go with it!! Even though I live in a somewhat crunchy area a lot of my customers would also find it funny, but it would probably lose me customers...Instead of calling it Respect Soap, you could call it just Respect, which will most likely get questions about the name and you can explain the reason behind the name.

To the OP:

I think you should name it something completely unrelated to the ingredients unless you are "showcasing" a fancy oil like shea butter or jojoba. Most people are not going to notice the ingredients, just the appearance and scent. Those that do notice, you can explain the respect angle.

I think Bambi Bubbles would sell like hotcakes down here. With orders for more. Then you could come out with a masculine scent and call it Buck Bubbles. But our market is full of hunters.

well gang it's scented with Soapalooza's Acorns and Black Oak and has darkened up a lot....so I have been heading towards the outdoorsy hunter crowd from the git go....I got to say,for now, Bambi Bubbles is inching ahead of Respect...

The soap in question has almost 50% deer tallow in it...and it's wonderful! It's been curing for 6 weeks and in spite of the fact I usually wait for a full 2 months to pass before trying a soap I couldn't resist(sound familiar, anyone?).
With that said, I'm having a bit of a dilemma on what to call it. I've got 4 or so names that come to mind but it seems they're a tad controversial to the crunchy set around me. The best I can come up with is simply" Respect soap", along the lines of Native Americans respecting an animal's spirit by utilizing as much of the animal as possible.
Before I get my graphic artist down the block to make me a label , I thought I would put it put to all of you.....So many thanks!

Such a Deer
Deerest Soap
Deer Prudence
Oh Deer
Deerly Departed

I love Deerly Departed! If I could make a suggestion, NG has a scent called Fresh Outdoors. My bf is very excited about it because it smells like dirt. He said hunters pay $9-10 for soap that smells like dirt to hide their scent and here he has someone that can make it for him. I think a camo swirl, dirt scented, deer tallow soap would be awesome!

deerly departed.... now theres a challenge getting an image to go with that...parting clouds and a beam of light engulfing a deer...or a deer with the letters RIP embossed over the image....food for thought....you guys and gals are the best!

I love Deerly Departed! If I could make a suggestion, NG has a scent called Fresh Outdoors. My bf is very excited about it because it smells like dirt. He said hunters pay $9-10 for soap that smells like dirt to hide their scent and here he has someone that can make it for him. I think a camo swirl, dirt scented, deer tallow soap would be awesome!

Wholesale (WSP) also has an awesome dirt fo. I used to make it with pumice and a cool camo design. Couldn't find my pix of it though......

Thumper's Friend
Bambi's Mom

If it's an unscented/uncolored soap, I'd call it Buck Naked.

And I'm not sure how I know this, but I think the Algonquian word for deer is "Wutapantam". Not that that would do anything but raise some questions...

Not to be a buzzkill because I love the 'Deerly Departed' name along with the idea of using all parts of a slaughtered animal, but you may want to research more before deciding to market this particular soap. First read this thread and verify that it's legal to sell deer tallow soap in your state http://www.soapmakingforum.com/archive/index.php/t-50377.html

Back