Need soap planer/beveler - any suggestions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are too high tech for me. I use the side of my nail thumb to bevel the sides and corners. Before then, I used a potato peeler.

Lol. I think it's amusing you switched from a peeler to your fingers. You must do it before the soap gets too hard?

As far as the folks who are asking if a plastic "blade" will become dull -- I would not plane or bevel soap that has any kind of seriously abrasive stuff in it -- pumice, coffee, whatever. But with basic, fresh soap, I think the blade will be good for many, many bars.

I finally just ordered one on Etsy. It has a single blade on the box, and I think a couple grooves for beveling. I would have preferred no grooves but we will see how it works.

I finally just ordered one on Etsy. It has a single blade on the box, and I think a couple grooves for beveling. I would have preferred no grooves but we will see how it works.

Do let us know!

I've tried the veggie peeler, let's just say, me and that thing never got along with its intended use anyway. The cheese planer looks okay, but the tool from the hardware store actually looks more my mind/hand connect. However, the actual soap planers look very simple and idiot proof. Yeah, I need idiot proof, but, they also just look like large mandolines to me, but, I don't have a mandoline.

I looked at mandolins and in the end it was less expensive to buy the planer. Also tried my cheese planer but the wire wasn't strong enough. Soap planer it is!

I want to ask those of you who purchased the SMR acrylic beveler/planer... are you still using it (after all these years)? Did you find a better one? Build one? Thanks!

I want to ask those of you who purchased the SMR acrylic beveler/planer... are you still using it (after all these years)? Did you find a better one? Build one? Thanks!

I have the SMR acrylic beveler/planer (bought it around 2012 or so) and it is still working great. :thumbup:

I should mention, though, that I only use it to plane the face or the flat sides of my soap on those rare occasions that my batch comes out with unwanted, unsightly blemishes or craters on those parts of my soap.

For beveling the sharp edges of my soap, I instead use my Kakuri radius plane- a Japanese woodworking tool for beveling or rounding over the sharp edges of wood. I like the contoured/rounded-over look of the bevels it gives me compared to the more flat 'jewel-like' bevels that the SMR beveler/planer gives me.

IrishLass :)

IL I bought that about year and a half ago, and have beveled and planed about 2000 bars of soap, and it still works as it did the first day I bought it.

I love the SMR beveller/planer, and will probably purchase a second one, just in case it ever does get dull.

I'm still using the bevever/planer I got from Tough Timbers on Etsy back in 2011. After heavy use for 6 years, I still have not needed to replace the blade. I don't know what voodoo black magic was summoned in the making of this but I'm not complaining

I tried to get the SMR beveller/planer but it looks like they're closing down and no longer had stock.

I ordered a beveller/planer from http://www.lilusoaptools.com instead and it is SUPER spendy but really really well-made and a pleasure to use.

Back