Need soap planer/beveler - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Shopping Recommendations' started by grammy1954, Oct 28, 2011.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. May 7, 2013 #21

soapguy

soapguy

soapguy

You guys are too high tech for me. I use the side of my nail thumb to bevel the sides and corners. Before then, I used a potato peeler.

melstan775 and cursivearts like this.
  2. May 7, 2013 #22

melstan775

melstan775

melstan775

Lol. I think it's amusing you switched from a peeler to your fingers. You must do it before the soap gets too hard?

3. May 7, 2013 #23

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

As far as the folks who are asking if a plastic "blade" will become dull -- I would not plane or bevel soap that has any kind of seriously abrasive stuff in it -- pumice, coffee, whatever. But with basic, fresh soap, I think the blade will be good for many, many bars.

melstan775 likes this.
  4. May 7, 2013 #24

soapguy

soapguy

soapguy

Yes, I cut my soaps as soon as possible and do the edges the same day or day after if soap is still too soft.

5. May 7, 2013 #25

melstan775

melstan775

melstan775

I finally just ordered one on Etsy. It has a single blade on the box, and I think a couple grooves for beveling. I would have preferred no grooves but we will see how it works.

6. May 7, 2013 #26

mel z

mel z

mel z

Do let us know!

I've tried the veggie peeler, let's just say, me and that thing never got along with its intended use anyway. The cheese planer looks okay, but the tool from the hardware store actually looks more my mind/hand connect. However, the actual soap planers look very simple and idiot proof. Yeah, I need idiot proof, but, they also just look like large mandolines to me, but, I don't have a mandoline.

melstan775 likes this.
  7. May 7, 2013 #27

melstan775

melstan775

melstan775

I looked at mandolins and in the end it was less expensive to buy the planer. Also tried my cheese planer but the wire wasn't strong enough. Soap planer it is!

8. Jan 20, 2017 #28

GreenAcreHomestead

GreenAcreHomestead

GreenAcreHomestead

I want to ask those of you who purchased the SMR acrylic beveler/planer... are you still using it (after all these years)? Did you find a better one? Build one? Thanks!

9. Jan 20, 2017 #29

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

I have the SMR acrylic beveler/planer (bought it around 2012 or so) and it is still working great. :thumbup:

I should mention, though, that I only use it to plane the face or the flat sides of my soap on those rare occasions that my batch comes out with unwanted, unsightly blemishes or craters on those parts of my soap.

For beveling the sharp edges of my soap, I instead use my Kakuri radius plane- a Japanese woodworking tool for beveling or rounding over the sharp edges of wood. I like the contoured/rounded-over look of the bevels it gives me compared to the more flat 'jewel-like' bevels that the SMR beveler/planer gives me.

IrishLass :)

baylee and bumbleklutz like this.
  10. Jan 21, 2017 #30

Soapsense

Soapsense

Soapsense

IL I bought that about year and a half ago, and have beveled and planed about 2000 bars of soap, and it still works as it did the first day I bought it.

I love the SMR beveller/planer, and will probably purchase a second one, just in case it ever does get dull.

IrishLass and bumbleklutz like this.
  11. Jun 29, 2017 #31

debbism

debbism

debbism

I'm still using the bevever/planer I got from Tough Timbers on Etsy back in 2011. After heavy use for 6 years, I still have not needed to replace the blade. I don't know what voodoo black magic was summoned in the making of this but I'm not complaining

12. Jul 4, 2017 #32

aihrat

aihrat

aihrat

Gently gently

I tried to get the SMR beveller/planer but it looks like they're closing down and no longer had stock.

I ordered a beveller/planer from http://www.lilusoaptools.com instead and it is SUPER spendy but really really well-made and a pleasure to use.

13. Jul 4, 2017 #33

Omneya

Omneya

Omneya

I got mine from Custom soap stamps. Alex is really nice guy. I got the package deal, which included and 12 wire cutter and the planer/beveler. I also had a coupon code. It is maid out of acrylic and rinses of nicely. It will never rust either
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/CustomSoapStamps?ref=pr_faveshops

Draft saved Draft deleted