Need recommendation for my first batch!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kpg009

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Tomorrow I will be doing my first ever CP test batch. I will be using a 22oz crafters choice silicone mold.
I have the following oils in inventory:
  • Sweet Almond Oil
  • Olive Oil
  • Coconut Oil 76º (edited)
  • Palm Oil
  • Castor Oil
  • Grapeseed Oil
48C32E1A-37FE-49EA-90BF-4CCA71BE1109.png

I was thinking in making the recipe in the photo. No color or fragrances on this batch.
Do you guys think this is ok for a first batch? Eager to hear from you!

Last edited:
To me your recipe seems fine. You will probably get some comments that at 25% the coconut oil is too high, which for some people it is. I don't have any problems with 25% causing my skin to feel dry. Good luck!

To me your recipe seems fine. You will probably get some comments that at 25% the coconut oil is too high, which for some people it is. I don't have any problems with 25% causing my skin to feel dry. Good luck!
I agree, I don't have any problems with CO drying my skin and my first CP batch was 33% CO.

I agree with most that it's fine for a first soap. Probably it will feel so much better than the stuff you are buying commercially that it will be fine for quite a while. And by the time it isn't fine you will know more about the various oils AND your own skin that you will try out all sorts of things. I can't even use my first soap recipe without itching my skin. Happy soaping!

Thank you guys for all the info provided.

@dibbles summed it up pretty well. Let us know how it turns out!
I have made my first batch a few minutes ago. I think everything when fine. The only thing I notice that worried me was the amount of air bubbles in the oil previous to adding the lye solution.
This is a picture of my first tiny batch.
8AF70BCB-4C0E-4D33-9973-756DBB5A1EFE.jpeg

Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks again to all of you!

Thank you guys for all the info provided.

I have made my first batch a few minutes ago. I think everything when fine. The only thing I notice that worried me was the amount of air bubbles in the oil previous to adding the lye solution.
This is a picture of my first tiny batch.
View attachment 46614
Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks again to all of you!
It looks fine and air bubbles won't make a difference in how the soap works.

This is it how it came out
Can see a very thin crack in the third bar from the top.
642AFCC3-01C2-4495-B9F4-068CB9539F0F.jpeg

In the second picture there are some marks in the side. I cut the bars with a kitchen knife without cleaning it between cuts (not sure if that have anything to do with those marks).
2BDD5512-8AE6-4680-8AF1-8B9408C5C756.jpeg

This is it how it came out
Can see a very thin crack in the third bar from the top.
View attachment 46643
In the second picture there are some marks in the side. I cut the bars with a kitchen knife without cleaning it between cuts (not sure if that have anything to do with those marks).
View attachment 46644

It turned out beautiful!

These look great! I can't see any knife marks, but if you can, then yes, you need to clean your cutting tool after each cut to avoid marks.

Like any first time soaper, you'll see the tiniest of imperfections that no one else will. They look beautiful! Don't worry so much! Truly. You did fine. 😍 Lots better than I did, that's for sure! And now the wait begins. Write down somewhere today's date, put those beauties somewhere where they'll get plenty of air but where you'll forget about them. Remember, no metal racks, not even if it's covered in plastic. Pure plastic, or wood, or cardboard even.
Good luck!

Back