Need Rapid Testing / Suggestions Now

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, Sep 28, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 29, 2018 #81

Terri E

Terri E

Terri E

"Tucked away in the mountains" Supporting Member

Easy to use but as has already been stated, one page would be better than multiple pages flipping back and forth. when I put in ounces the calculator displayed in grams. For printing, I also like the idea of displaying on one page in ounces/grams/pounds in a more structured format. I currently use SoapCalc so as was stated before, I guess I am spoiled :)

MKLonestar likes this.
  2. Sep 29, 2018 #82

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

Ok, I was waiting until I had tried it out on all three devices: PC, Tablet, and Phone. I am not going to mention the things we've already seen listed here, since I agree with almost all of the critiques. This is just going to be nit-picky little opinions that probably don't affect much.

General:
    I like that I don't have to add percentage of oil as soon as I select my oil. I like that I can throw everything in and then figure out how much of each I want.
    I do not like the background image. Nothing wrong with the image itself, but the part that is visible is the bin of beans on the left. If I didn't scroll down, I wouldn't have known it was soap related at all. Maybe something where the soap bars are more prominent. Or maybe some soap-making tools. Or bubbles. Or even just a clean, light color.
    I'm on the fence about the red as the accent color. I like the way the tab sort of pops of the screen, but I'm not sure about the color itself. I can't say why. Shrug.
    If we're going to have a log in, would it be tied to our SMF account somehow?

PC: I love that I can float the mouse over an oil and the properties at the side change without me having to click on them. Everything behaved the same way on both Tablet and PC. There is so much free space on the screen. Maybe the information panels could be arranged differently to better use the space.

Tablet: this is where everything best fits the screen. I can see the graphic you chose very well in the background. The only problem is that I didn't see the recipe after I hit "finish," because it was well below the space of the window. I just kept clicking on "finish" and only scrolled down on a whim.

Phone: This is where I don't mind having to scroll to find the recipe. I think on the phone I do so much scrolling, it just made sense to scroll down. I feel like it was designed with a phone in mind. Everything made more sense somehow: maybe because I'm used to having to push a "button" every step of the way with phone apps. Are you considering an app?

It's a great start. It will be cool to watch it's development.

3. Sep 29, 2018 #83

ddjgunter

ddjgunter

ddjgunter

I have a perverse nature sometimes and decided to be that fly in the ointment so to speak, meaning I tried out a hybrid recipe using random choices. 1% superfat, 28% water, left the FO as is, then chose several oils used in past batches, adding up percentages to 100%, clicked finish and......nothing happened. Not sure what that's about. Maybe I'm being too much of a bother changing everything but the FO?

4. Sep 29, 2018 #84

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

Did you scroll down after you clicked "finish"? At first I thought nothing happened, too. I just kept clicking. Turned out the recipe was down below.

5. Sep 29, 2018 #85

Steve85569

Steve85569

Steve85569

Supporting Member

Perhaps a version for hand helds ( phone and tablets) and a version for full size devices ( laptops and desktops)?
    Some of my web pages and links do not work well on hand helds.

This being a Beta it seems to work fairly well.
    There does seem to be too much free space - perhaps to work with the smaller screens?

6. Sep 30, 2018 #86

opensea

opensea

opensea

There needs to be a reset or some way to clear the oils without having to remove individually should you decide to change the recipe.

Schlegel_72 and MullersLaneFarm like this.
  7. Sep 30, 2018 #87

John Fishe

John Fishe

John Fishe

Hello. "That nit-picky guy" here...
    First, cool calculator. It seems reasonably bug free, but here's what made me grit my teeth in my 3 minutes with it being half-screened in Chrom with a screen resolution of 1920*1080
    1. Menu selector issues at specific widths:
      1. When on desktop monitor and I snap Chrome to half-screen, I have Type of Lye selected. On the right side of the red selection indicator, an extraneous word "LYE" is visible underneath it. When I then select Recipe Units, the new selection indicator obscures the end of the word "LYE" from the menu item to the left.
    2. Inconsistent vertical spacing
      1. The spacing between lines in the main content looks good on both Type of Lye and Recipe Units - though they are noticeably inconsistent. However, the rest of the pages have much more distance between them and these do not look good. I personally prefer the y-distance from the Recipe Units page.
    3. Recipe Units: Percentages option hiding
      1. Currently, entering the Recipe Units page results in the Percentages option being selected and the Oils section of it visible and interactable. When selecting a weight measure instead of Percentages, the Oils section is hidden. I understand the behavior, but I'd rather see this area remain visible, yet disabled and grayed-out when not applicable.
    4. Water page: Alignment and sizing
      1. I still have it at half-screen, and the %Water text is too long and it wraps to be left justified. With the horizontal spacing fix, this will look worse.
      2. Water:Lye Ratio will never be a very long integer, so the two text boxes taking the entire width is a little silly...and it causes the label to wrap to the next line.
      3. Overall, the labeling on this page seems awkward. I'd think it would be more user-friendly and professional looking if there was a very short label (such as % Lye Concentration) and each one had a little question mark icon next to them. When hovered (or tapped), the tooltip would show recommendations and/or some useful information about the option.
    5. Oil Superfat page
      1. See 4.1 & 4.3. This entry wraps similarly due to the recommendation.
      2. The superfat after cook checkbox label and the text that accompanies it doesn't line up horizontally. Combined with the three font styles, it's extra-weird. Also, "Frgrance" Oil Weight is missing an 'a'.
    6. Fragrances
      • See 5.1.
    7. Oils
      1. At half-screen, the oil percentages' alternating lines are varying lengths.
      2. Also, some of these numbers have percentages and some do not. I, as a newb, am unsure if that's due to error or my ignorance.
      3. Also, once this table is displayed, it doesn't go away, even when I navigate to a different page. I expect it to go away when navigating from the oils page.
      4. After adding several oils, there is no feedback when 100% is reached (or not yet reached). I'd like it to tell me what the running total is...this will minimize my guessing games. It'd also be awesome if it could auto-calculate that last number for me....math isn't my strong suit.
      5. The header on the list box includes the number 6. I'm guessing that this is because this is page #6, but that's not mentioned on any other page and therefore should be removed for consistency.
    8. Scrollbar appearance interrupts my experience
      1. Whenever a long page is reached (Oils, in my case), the scrollbar appears and jilts the whole experience by repositioning the background image and the main calculator panel. It'd be great if this didn't happen.
    9. Page transition animations
      1. The main menu bar across the top animates smoothly between the pages. This is neat, however, the widgets on each page just flash into and out-of-existence. It'd be neat if they were animated to transition seamlessly with this slider.
    Several of the issues are shown in this image: soap ss.JPG

Admin likes this.
  8. Sep 30, 2018 #88

hariskar

hariskar

hariskar

Great overall, only: when I choose in Fragrances 30g/kg I get Fragrance weight 3750grams for 2kgr oils.
    Also the button Finish is not clickable.

Admin likes this.
  9. Sep 30, 2018 #89

selma

selma

selma

Selma

Hi!
    I've tried the calculator, and the first thing I really did not like is going from page to page to finish the calculation. But I've read some of the posts and seen that it's going to be sorted out.
    I have one wish for a feature that I haven't seen in other calculators that I came across. I have to recalculate the lye for every batch of soap that I make because I put citric acid in my lye solution (hard water issue), and have to compensate with additional amount of NaOH. So I wish this calculator could have it incorporated as an option. Otherwise it seems ok.

MKLonestar, Admin, John Fishe and 2 others like this.
  10. Sep 30, 2018 #90

Schlegel_72

Schlegel_72

Schlegel_72

Something that I thought would be interesting to see on a lye calculator, would be to include an option that could calculate the oil volume needed for a recipe, based on the user including mould dimensions: (cylindrical and rectangular). It’s just a thought. Not something I’ve seen on other lye calculators.

It might also be considered to include a feature that would display the percentages or amounts of oils remaining, as one begins choosing recipe amounts for their initial oil choices.

And of course, an option to print friendly “button”...

Overall, I see this lye calculator as a very impressive and useful tool. I really like the appearance and page layout. Thank you for sharing it! Great work!

Admin and KimT2au like this.
  11. Sep 30, 2018 #91

rjalex

rjalex

rjalex

I will also add my "vote" for the "one page" layout (ala SoapCalc).
    I do not quite understand how/why I'd prefer using this one to SoapCalc actually. Maybe I'm not getting things that are easier or better?
    What I'd really like is to have a "reverse calculation". Try to explain. Given I have some oils lying around I'd like to enter those and have quantities calculated which would fall within the recommended qualities (bubbles, cleaning, hardness etc.).
    Starting from there I could tweak quantities and/or know that I need some different fats to achieve them (for example if I tried this with only Olive oil ...)
    Thank you very much.

MKLonestar, Admin, Jodi B and 2 others like this.
  12. Sep 30, 2018 #92

Jodi B

Jodi B

Jodi B

All very good suggestions. I’ve previously commented on the total percentages. I really like the “placeholder “ idea and a side by side comparison.

Admin likes this.
  13. Sep 30, 2018 #93

bumbleklutz

bumbleklutz

bumbleklutz

I like it. I agree that it would be better on one page. One feature that I think would be nice, and I don't know if this is even possible given all the variables is a "trace-o-meter". Maybe a percentage included with the "recipe properties" based on lye concentration and chosen fats of how fast a recipe can be expected to trace. Say zero % is slower than molasses in the winter, while 100% is light speed. I think it would be helpful for new soapers when trying to create new formulas, and it would serve as a reminder to more experienced soapers when experimenting. Just my 2 cents.

Admin likes this.
  14. Sep 30, 2018 #94

MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm

When selecting oils using percentages, I'd like to see the total percent of oils accumulated so far instead of the message "Total oil % should be 100%"

MKLonestar, Alfa_Lazcares and Admin like this.
  15. Sep 30, 2018 #95

MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm

BUG

Only way to weigh your fragrance PPO is to select 'Recipe Units' of Pounds or Ounces

When 'Percentages' is selected for Recipe Units and 'Oil Total' is specified in Pounds or Ounces, the Fragrance tab still defaults to g/kg. It should be consistent with unit of measure selected for Percentages.
    Final recipe is given in grams also, not in Pounds or ounces (unit of measure selected)

Has "Adjust oil weights to include water in Oils total" on Recipe Units been explained yet & I've just missed it??

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  16. Sep 30, 2018 #96

Admin

Admin

Admin

Staff Member Admin

These suggestions are AWESOME. Thank you so much for being so detailed. We will have a big revision online tomorrow including;

- Login
    - 1 Page Calculator

Plus lots of fixes.

Please keep the suggestions/complaints coming though!

17. Sep 30, 2018 #97

sarasvati

sarasvati

sarasvati

I truly appreciate your effort in creating a lye calculator and seeking people's feedback here. Thank you!

Like many other people are saying, I, too would like to see this all in one page.

I would also like to see a [Pring] button that makes everything that you need printed fit in one page and makes it possible to print it in one page.

In the [Water] section, I would like to see different liquid options like cow's milk, goat's milk, beer, wine, etc. and have them be taken into the calculation for the final product. (Maybe milk gives the soap added fat, beer and wine gives a bit more lather?)

The [Recipe Units] section was confusing.

In the [Oils] section, if you can include a pop-up window that gives some information about each oil and the max % of the oil that can be used in a recipe, that would be super. For example, if I hover my cursor over cocoa butter in the list, a window would pop up to give me some info about cocoa butter and to tell me that cocoa butter should be kept at 15% or less.

I really like that the [Recipe Properties] includes [Longevity]!

Thanks again!

MKLonestar and Nanditasr like this.
  18. Sep 30, 2018 #98

Steve85569

Steve85569

Steve85569

Supporting Member

19. Sep 30, 2018 #99

lathered_up

lathered_up

lathered_up

Will the final recipe/form be able to be converted to pdf or imported to other document saving/note taking apps like Evernote, Onenote, etc. ? Also, I would like to be able see my recipe ingredients listed by order of weight in order to make labeling a bit easier.

MKLonestar likes this.
  20. Sep 30, 2018 #100

MKLonestar

MKLonestar

MKLonestar

Supporting Member

Manteca is a name brand (and most common brand) I have learned and apparently not a particular type of lard. It would be similar to putting "Cisco" for shortening and disregarding all other brands of shortening. I personally feel that both Lard and Shortening should be listed as just that....there are so many variations as to how each brand is made that there is absolutely no way to put each one in a calculator separately, so just list that values based on what the SAP value would be for the Manteca lard or Cisco shortening, but drop the brand name.

Misschief likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.