Need Rapid Testing / Suggestions Now

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, Sep 28, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 29, 2018 #61

KimT2au

KimT2au

KimT2au

You bet they die Supporting Member

ok, Hubby has had a very quick look and his comments were as follows. That the layout on the first page with the percent, gram etc options was confusing. It took me explaining to him a few times what the batch size had to do with the percentages. He said it was almost like that part should be a 2 part question. If you click percentages then the question about the batch size comes up, as opposed to it disappearing if you clicked on any of the other options.

He took on board my comments about the water ratio question but seemed to feel I was asking too much of the software and pointed out it was not a multi-million dollar project. I still think a pop up asking you to confirm your selection if it is out of the expected range would not go astray.

He found the layout of the oils page to be annoying. He wanted to either type in the name of the oil he was looking for or type in the first letter and and go to the top of that section of the list. He also had trouble recognising where he was meant to put in his amounts as it was the same colour as the background and said it would have been better to have that section highlighted to draw the eye.

He had chosen the % option and felt that it should have been clearer when your percentages do not total 100%. The pop up for that error was not large enough nor eye catching enough for him to see it immediately.

He also became frustrated when he went to change the figures and clicked on the red cross on the right and thought he was deleting the amount, only to find he had deleted the oil but that could just be him because to me it was obvious.

The final thing was he had not realised anything had happened after he clicked the finish button and I had to explain to him that he needed to scroll down to see the recipe.

That's his input. I hope this was of some use

Kim

2. Sep 29, 2018 #62

lathered_up

lathered_up

lathered_up

I entered amounts to calculated in ounces but it displayed in grams. Personally I like to formulate my recipes with ounces in mind because it is easier for me to visualize/imagine, but I prefer to weigh in grams because it is more accurate. I prefer to have both measurements available in for my final printout/recipe. I also agree with others that "% of water as a percent of oils" is a poor way to formulate lye solution. I don't think that it should be the default setting. Other calculators still use this method, so I suppose I'm just nit picking, but I think that there are better ways to generate lye solutions.

I haven't tried the calculator on my phone, but having a mobile friendly app is always a good idea. I would also like to be able to save/store recipes with a personal account. Definitely have at least one text box to write in additional notes for additives, techniques, fragrances, temperatures, etc. Those small notes make all the difference when recreating and awesome recipe or figuring out what went wrong with a disastrous one. Finally I don't like the fact that I have to scroll down to see my entire recipe. I really like to see everything on one page (if possible).

I'm sure that I'll think of more things, but I hope that this helps for now. ;)

MKLonestar and reinbeau like this.
  3. Sep 29, 2018 #63

Cclaudia

Cclaudia

Cclaudia

Beside what has already been mentioned by others, I've noticed that Lauric acid and Myristic acid are missing in the list of fatty acids. When using dual lye : as someone already noticed, if I change the percentage of one lye the calculator doesn't automatically adjust the other and this may lead to disastrous errors.
    How do I get to a blank new page on the calculator when I'm done creating a recipe and I want to make another one?

KimT2au and lathered_up like this.
  4. Sep 29, 2018 #64

reinbeau

reinbeau

reinbeau

Lifetime Supporter

The one thing I love about SoapCalc is the printout being in grams, ounces and pounds. I don't really care about pounds, I never go that large, but I know others do. I like that the lye amount required is also in grams and ounces. I use SM3 but don't care for the inability to be versatile like that. I will play around with this one, but agree with all of the thoughts about 'one page' and a print button. As someone said, SoapCalc really has ruined me for other calculators.....but their lack of an Android version means I can't use it on my phone.

MKLonestar and lathered_up like this.
  5. Sep 29, 2018 #65

loriag

loriag

loriag

Supporting Member

If I have hit finish and than go back to change something like superfat or lye concentration, I have to hit next again for it to update the recipe totals. at the bottom of the page. It would be nice to have it automatically updated.

I also like space on the calculator to add my notes for the recipe as well as to be able to name and save it.
    I also like in other calculators where I can save one recipe and go back in to it than change oils or other things and use 'save as' to save it as a different recipe.

I was also a bit confused at first why specific oil and its properties were up on the right of the screen when they were not in my recipe. Than I realized it was because my pointer was resting on that specific one in the oils selection area.

6. Sep 29, 2018 #66

GVKW

GVKW

GVKW

If you scroll down, it is there without any fanfare...

7. Sep 29, 2018 #67

GVKW

GVKW

GVKW

Can't you just use the desktop version of the Soap Calc website in your mobile browser? It *is* a little fussy to zoom in and move around on the screen to access the various fields, but doable if you're motivated :)

8. Sep 29, 2018 #68

GVKW

GVKW

GVKW

First impressions: I, like others, prefer not to have to deal with tabs. Other than that the formatting seems okay but could definitely use some tweaking before I'd call it "perfect".

TYPE OF LYE TAB:
    -Offer brand selection for popular vendors of lye that sell a consistant grade of product, like Brambleberry.

WATER TAB:
    -Should be labeled "LIQUID"; you can use more than just water to make soap.

-Give options to select from popular base liquids and include prep instructions (like "make sure beer is TOTALLY flat to avoid eruptions", "this liquid contains sugars, which may accelerate Trace", "consider using an ice bath while mixing lye into this liquid to prevent the sugars in the liquid from scorching. Stay under 100°F." Stuff like that.

-Offer a "calculate for me" option for water/liquids, that only requires user to specify how much (if any) water discount they want to use, maybe up to 50% or so (check with the popular vendors or do your own research/ask your betas, but I've read in several places that any more than that and some lye brands will have trouble fully dissolving.)

RECIPE UNITS TAB:
    -Keep the "calculate liquids with oils" options for ounces - it currently disappears when you chance from percentages to ounces. It is needed for cream soap recipes where you use 50% of your liquid as icy water to make a super concentrated lye component, and add the other 50% of your liquid (heavy cream) straight to the oils.

SUPERFATTING TAB:
    - Add brief explanation that superfatting and lye discount are the same and what they are/do. Rather than recommend a single digit, offer a range with bullets about how this percentage generally impacts finished products.

RESULTS ERRORS:
    - I tried to Calc a 32 oz Olive oil only recipe with 4% superfat and 1oz/lb fragrance. I specified ounces, but the Calc gave me the finished recipe in grams. Edit: this happened every time.

-Include at least two decimal points for percentages on results page. In a recipe with 32 oz of oils (4 oz Avocado, 8 oz Coconut, 2 oz Macadamia, 12 oz Olive, and 6 oz Sweet Almond), the %s are rounded up/down and thus do not equal 100 (19 + 13 + 25 + 6 + 38 = 101)

-Why does the details of only the last selected oil appear before the results? All the oils' details should be available, either as the links that open a new background tab, or as a pop-up window when you click on them in the finished recipe screen.

EDIT: I'm doing all this from a mobile device, not a fullblown desktop computer.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    MKLonestar, KimT2au and lathered_up like this.
  9. Sep 29, 2018 #69

Richard Perrine

Richard Perrine

Richard Perrine

I agree with other posters that the properties should be briefly defined. Perhaps by hovering over the term a short description pops up? Also, as a newbie, not familiar with the property 'Stable.' Is this on SoapCalc somewhere and I have been blind all this time and what does it mean exactly?

I am not certain if anyone else asked for this, but as a newbie, it would be helpful to have brief descriptions of the oils beyond percentages of characteristics. In fact, I would be confused, personally, as to what the percentages of the characteristics of the oils mean.

Thank you for all your work!

10. Sep 29, 2018 #70

LionLady

LionLady

LionLady

Supporting Member

Just entered a recipe, using percentages and grams. When I hit Finish. Nothing happens?

11. Sep 29, 2018 #71

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

Scroll down, its there

12. Sep 29, 2018 #72

majstor

majstor

majstor

As others said:

1. everything need to be on single page (no back and forth)
    2. Round grams to full gram, no decimals
    3. Save recipe option
    4. Print option
    5. Components and total weight need to be separated from rest of stats (like Recipe Oils)

Nanditasr likes this.
  13. Sep 29, 2018 #73

LionLady

LionLady

LionLady

Supporting Member

I still don't understand how the percentage option works. That was why "finish" didn't do anything.

Totals at end should show in the same units as selected in the second tab.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  14. Sep 29, 2018 #74

Jodi B

Jodi B

Jodi B

This may have already been mentioned- When entering percentages, if it doesn't total 100%, the actual amount off doesn't display to make the adjustment.

MKLonestar, Alfa_Lazcares and artemis like this.
  15. Sep 29, 2018 #75

Jodi B

Jodi B

Jodi B

When looking at the properties and wanting to make adjustments, have to scroll up the screen- can't quickly change percentage and then see the difference in properties. Also, what is longevity based on or compared to?

Alfa_Lazcares likes this.
  16. Sep 29, 2018 #76

Nanditasr

Nanditasr

Nanditasr

In addition to all the comments above:

1. Number validation is needed in the Type of lye tab. I can enter 190% purity for KOH. Also, if I choose Hybrid, I can enter 5% KOH and 200% NaOH.

2. The Recipe Units tab shows me two lines with the same sets of units, except that the first line says Percentages and the second says Oils Total. Again, for the latter, number validation is needed -- I can -500 grams, and I get all the results with negative figures.

3. Fragrances tab: Does the % of fragrance vary if we use FO vs. EO? If yes, the message may need to be changed. (I have no idea, since I do not use FO.)

4. A single page would be nice (we're spoilt by SoapCalc), but I don't mind the current tab set either. The Oils tab looks very contemporary, and I like the large font.

5. All the above were reported from using it on the laptop (Firefox on Ubuntu). When I repeat all this using the Android phone, I get the same results. However, the part that's very confusing (and not intuitive) here is the finished recipe -- it is not immediately below the Recipe Oils I chose; it is below the properties of the oil that I last selected.

6. It will be great to have values for egg yolk (right now, I have to do a substitution). Also consider adding Pongamia oil.

17. Sep 29, 2018 #77

Saponificarian

Saponificarian

Saponificarian

I quite like the setup on my phone. Using an iPhone and it gave me the number tab directly and not the keyboard.

I agree with others about changing the water as percentage of oils as recommendation.

I found that I can click the tabs to edit info without erasing my other inputs.

While I like the way it computes at the end in different tabs, It’s not practical when you want to soap as you might want to add information while soaping and there is no space to add this.

Most Soapers use Soapcal so we are spoilt with the one pager that you can add information on. I hate soapee Calc because of the many pages with useless info and waste of space. I still use because I have to for my hybrid liquid soap.

18. Sep 29, 2018 #78

GVKW

GVKW

GVKW

How about having expandable headers instead of tabs? If you could minimize them from the bottom of each as well as from the top, you could perhaps fit all the headers onto one screen and then just open them as needed to input data. Also, they should pop red (or change color in some way) if there's a calc/input error (like more than 100% lye).

In terms of order of tabs/headers, it seems to make sense to specify your unit of measurement before dealing with amounts of any ingredient, so I'd throw out there that switching "Units" to being first would be logical. For the same reason, I would think that since the amount of lye is dependent upon the type and quantity of oils used, you should input those before you start figuring your lye details. (Perhaps the "type of lye" and the "unit of measurements" tabs can even be consolidated into one...?

MKLonestar likes this.
  19. Sep 29, 2018 #79

SheLoki

SheLoki

SheLoki

The calculator seems to work ok, as in give results, but like someone said above, I'd like to see ounces, grams and pounds in the results. I also think displaying the results on one page would be much more user friendly. Scrolling to see all the results is a pain

MKLonestar likes this.
  20. Sep 29, 2018 #80

ShannonAll

ShannonAll

ShannonAll

I really like how easy it is to add the oils so I can put everything in at once. I am still new so I like to play with various oil percentages and see the effect on the numbers.

I like that I can use 0 as a place holder if I want to see how a recipe looks without that oil.

I would help me to see the total percent of oils tallied if I am off from 100%

Is it possible to provide a side by side comparison of a selected oil and the recipe? It would make it easier for me to compare and learn how differently oils can alter a recipe.

Is there anyway to include liquids other than water, accounting for added fat levels?

Is there anyway to include an EO calculator so that the whole recipe can be formulated, saved and printed together?

Thank you for all of your work.

LiLiSoapz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.