Need Rapid Testing / Suggestions Now

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, Sep 28, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 29, 2018 #41

forestedge

forestedge

forestedge

If it's intended for beginner soap makers, the ability to click on something and receive a explanation of what it is might be helpful (eg: what is meant by Linoleic, Iodine or Longevity).

The % sign on the line below where I enter the values bothers me. Would prefer it to be on the same line (put that under the 'picky' items) ; )

MKLonestar likes this.
  2. Sep 29, 2018 #42

bathgeek

bathgeek

bathgeek

I am pretty sure fragrance oil weight is NOT supposed to be more than the oil weight. ^_^
    (To reproduce the error, I chose 30g/kg for FO, and had a 500g oil batch. It told me I needed 937.5g of FO. *giggling*)

Editing because I realized the calculator was changing as I changed values, which is great! I still wish it were all on one page but can live with it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    SaltedFig likes this.
  3. Sep 29, 2018 #43

Suzy Knight

Suzy Knight

Suzy Knight

I like the one item/page thing. But I really hate the lack of conversion to ounces.

SoapAddict415 likes this.
  4. Sep 29, 2018 #44

wingster

wingster

wingster

I like everything on one page - oz would be nice, haven't found a printout or save feature. When you click finish you really don't know you are "finished" - was waiting for some action and just happened to scroll down and see the recipe....It did calculate the fragrance correctly in grams, in fact everything was the same as in soap calc.

5. Sep 29, 2018 #45

WillowDawn

WillowDawn

WillowDawn

I'm finding this confusing by having to go page to page, and also coming up with just gram weight is what I saw when using, is there a way to save or print? When I do the recipe I would like to see percentage, oz and gram weights in one.

SoapAddict415 likes this.
  6. Sep 29, 2018 #46

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

I prefer the tabs. I have learned through application testing at work that people hate scrolling. I agree. The format looks modern. I just think the recipe needs to be incorporated or maybe give the option to view full screen if you have the capability in the program you are using.

7. Sep 29, 2018 #47

IngridK

IngridK

IngridK

Typo on Oil Superfat panel last line "Frgrance " should be Fragrance...

I plugged in a tried tested and true recipe of mine
    Recipe Oils

Oil
    % Grams
    Castor Oil 7 57
    Flax Oil, linseed 11 88
    Olive Oil 71 567
    Shea Butter 11 85

I use 102-104g of lye

102 g gives me a nice moisturising bar
    104 gives me a super duper get the garden off your bod kinda clean.

your calculator gave me 302g for water.
    I use 150g of water in my recipe.

Otherwise... I like it... I would like the oil panel (tab) a little closer to the front and a place to add things like ground oats, colourants.. etc.. but I like it.

8. Sep 29, 2018 #48

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Type of lye tab --

No option to enter the NaOH purity. :(

Recipe units tab --

If you're wanting the user to define units of measure, then don't ask for numbers in this section. Or reword the tab heading.

What is the meaning of "Adjust oil weights to include water in Oils total"?​

Water tab --

Please don't set "water as % of oils" as the default way to calculate the weight of water. Please reconsider this.

"Water discount" would normally be used only if one also uses the "water as % of oils" method of calculating water. With lye concentration or water:lye ratio, there's no point to entering a "water discount." The location of the "water discount" entry implies it can be applied to any of the calculation methods.​

Oil superfat tab --

It's just "superfat" not "oil superfat".

I don't understand this statement: "The recipe will be calculated with 0% superfat but will show the Frgrance Oil Weight to add to the recipe after cooking." Do you mean "...will show the superfat weight to add to the recipe..."?​

Oils tab --

It should be "Fats", not "Oils". For the fats normally used in soap making, it is true that all oils are fats, but not all fats are oils.

The listing of properties for a given fat should be broken up into logical groups for legibility. The numbers are hard to analyze as presented now.

Need to clarify --
    Sap KOH 0.188
    NaOH 0.134
    Add "Sap" in front of "NaOH"​

List of fats --

Cherry Kern1 Oil, p. avium should be just Cherry Kernel Oil, p. avium. Likewise for Cherry Kern2.

Provide the sum of the percentages of fats if the user is entering the fats as %. Users shouldn't have to do that math.​

Recipe table --

Delete second "weight" in "Total KoH Weight Weight" for a KOH or hybrid recipe. Also KOH is KOH not KoH.

What is the "Stable" property?​

Recipe results --

When the button "Finish" is clicked, there is no visual indicator of what just happened. We've been clicking from tab to tab to tab up to this point, so there's a sense of some logical progression that leads the user (or leads me, at least) to think there should be yet another window to display the results of the calculations. Instead, nothing appears to happen. The user has to know to scroll down to see the results. That lack of feedback seems inconsistent with the pattern of use established up to that point.
    Overall format --

There are a lot of tabs to click to get the recipe entered and calculated. On one hand, a minimalist and clean approach like this is great for a beginner, but not so much for someone with some experience. The process feels a lot like an example of the three blind men and the elephant situation -- there are enough small steps so one can't see the "big picture" until the very end. It would be frustrating for me to use.​

9. Sep 29, 2018 #49

tracycarlin1966

tracycarlin1966

tracycarlin1966

Recipe totals do not stay consistent with the desired measure of weight. Locked into grams.

MullersLaneFarm likes this.
  10. Sep 29, 2018 #50

tracycarlin1966

tracycarlin1966

tracycarlin1966

Needs a way to save a formula and name it once it is completed. I’m working from my mobile device so not sure if is different view on a computer.

11. Sep 29, 2018 #51

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

I agree with a lot of what is already said here.

I would like to see a pre-mix lye solution option. Here is what it looks like in SM3, three screen shots, first two are when creating recipe (lye solution and liquid replacement) and second is what it looks like on the printout.
    upload_2018-9-28_21-40-45.png

upload_2018-9-28_21-43-29.png

upload_2018-9-28_21-42-54.png

I would also like to have it calculate a liquids replacement, such as shown in the screen shots. This works in SM3 even without the lye solution option.

Sorry @SaltedFig I soap at 3:1 lye concentration and my soap bars do not warp and I don't have problems bringing it to trace :) It might be better to list the range for soaping in a note beside the water:lye ratio selection, so that someone doesn't try to enter .5:1 or 6:1 or some other unfeasible ratio.

I like the water discount option, but it should have an explanation for newbies.

I would like a way to select my oils that doesn't require scrolling - maybe something smart like I hit the c key and it takes me to the first entry that starts with the letter c - like windows explorer does.

Is the Fragrances % oil weight intended to calculate the recommended usage rate? That would be good to clarify that. I think the "recommended 3%" note might be confusing for newbies if their FO is recommended at 5 or 6% from the supplier.

After entering the oils, where it shows the full recipe, it would be nice if it listed the oils from greatest to least, rather than in alphabetical order. (at first I thought it was descending order from how I entered the recipe because I entered castor oil last hahaha)
    upload_2018-9-28_22-5-31.png

12. Sep 29, 2018 #52

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

@amd No need to be sorry - your recipe is different, your experience is different.

Do you think that a lye concentration of 25% (or a ratio of 3:1) should be the default amount for every recipe?

(That amount would work for HP with evaporation, but would be ghastly for CP castille!)

I think somewhere in the mid-range (somewhere around 30% lye concentration, or 2.4:1 water to lye ratio) would be better as a default value, personally.

13. Sep 29, 2018 #53

ulrurunaturals

ulrurunaturals

ulrurunaturals

Yes everything was in grams no matter the measurements I chose it ended up giving just grams

MullersLaneFarm and Deborah Long like this.
  14. Sep 29, 2018 #54

Nita

Nita

Nita

I use my phone or iPad. It was very difficult to scroll the oils to add them to the recipe. I too prefer one page. Finish button didn’t do anything. Not sure why it only displays the properties of the last oil I entered and it is before the totals. It’s good information, but perhaps the individual properties of all the oils used can be listed at the bottom? I have to keep scrolling down to see recipe totals. I will continue tomorrow as it’s getting late here.

15. Sep 29, 2018 #55

scard

scard

scard

Supporting Member

I found it easy to use but as others have said I prefer to have all entries on one page. I like to have the percentage next to oz/gr of chosen oil.
    I think all of the technical issues have been addressed by those with much more experienced than me, but there are a few things that would be nice to see.
    the total oil/fat percent of the recipe as you add them:
    percents.png
    When choosing an oil you can open up a separate list of properties if you would like to.
    oil prop link.png
    An area to add notes with prompts for additives, colorants, and fragrances (because I always forget)
    Links to generally recommended amounts of common additives.
    ? General suggested guideline of fatty acid profiles.
    I like the idea of masterbatch math addition.
    I like the oz/lbs/gr all together in the final recipe The molds are in pounds, I use ounces or grams, and some of my additives are in grams so having that info altogether can be helpful.
    recipesc.png
    I guess you can tell I use soap calc and I find it easy and concise.
    Ok you can stop laughing now :D

16. Sep 29, 2018 #56

Ghost_Wytch

Ghost_Wytch

Ghost_Wytch

Coming in a bit late had farm chores to do. But I pretty much have to agree with most of what has already been said.
    I really like for everything to be in one place, one page.
    Not fond of the plus sign to add the oils. It would be way easier for me to just be able to click on the oil to add it. Or even double click it as someone mentioned.
    And it would also be super awesome if we could just enter the first letter of the oil in the add box and have a drop down of the oils that begin with those letters instead of having to scroll through the entire list to find shea butter or walnut oil.
    Need to fix the Recipe Units. As many mentioned I too entered ounces but it still gave me grams in the end.
    I think it's off to a great start. I can't can't wait to see the end result :)

17. Sep 29, 2018 #57

KimT2au

KimT2au

KimT2au

You bet they die Supporting Member

I won't repeat what everyone else has said but would add the following. The water content tab - I decided to see what happened when I said I wanted to use water at 20% of oil weight and it accepted that even though the recommendation was for 33 - 38%. Maybe a flag should be raised there saying something to the effect of "you have selected an amount outside the recommended range, do you wish to continue with this figure?". Obviously not those words exactly but just a quick warning as someone could unintentionally make an error.

I think the water tab could be replaced by a liquids tab as, for example, if using say frozen water melon puree for your liquids you are also adding a lot of extra sugar which would impact on your soap so if you chose that for liquids then in the summary a note could be made that the extra sugar may affect the bar by blah, blah, blah. If someone chose a milk or cream as their liquid, a flag could pop up warning them to freeze the fluid before use and that would also need to be taken into account when calculating the total oils of the soap.

My final comment is in regard to fragrance. Personally, I hate highly perfumed soaps but my first bar soap was made following someone else's recipe and I was meant to put in 15g of fragrance. All I had left in the bottle was about 5g so that is all that I put into that mix. However, that is still too strong for us. So, on a personal note, it could be useful to offer the newbies three extra buttons if they did not know how much fragrance they want to add as percentage or weight of oils because I certainly had no idea. It could be something like "lightly fragranced", "fragranced" or "heavily fragranced". Also, would it matter if you were adding essential oils rather than fragrance oils? Are one stronger than the other? If so, then that might be something else to think about.

I have not had a look at the dual lye alternatives yet but hope to do so later. The other thing is would it be OK to show the calculator to my husband? Although he is not a soaper he is a software designer so maybe something might well jump out at him that does not jump out at me.

Kim

Deborah Long and reinbeau like this.
  18. Sep 29, 2018 #58

szaza

szaza

szaza

So.. after first use:
    I'd like to get a total of percentages or grams (or ounces) instantly while I'm entering the values (small thing).
    I also like to get more info on the oil/fat used while choosing oils. (And it would be awesome to be able to type the oil name in stead of scrolling)
    As mentioned before, lauric and myristic acid are missing from fatty acid profile. I also like it when the fatty acids are ordered the way soapcalc does - more property orienterted and not alphabetically.
    I like to ruminate over my recipes and keep the tab open for quite a while withoutlosing the recipe (or having to safe, cause I tend to forget:p) soapcalc does this, soapee not and yours also sends you back to the first tab and you lose everything after keeping the tab open for a while..
    That's it for now! Good luck:D

19. Sep 29, 2018 #59

ab2badam

ab2badam

ab2badam

Made a quick run on my phone and a few things jumped out:
    1) Spelling mistakes (I think others addressed these, but if spelling isn't right you loose confidence for complex calculations [see what I did there :)])
    2) Scrolling through oils is a pain, a responsive search bar would be helpful with this problem.
    3) These are fats, not just oils.
    4) Add SAP in front of NaOH in fat properties.
    5) I like the tabs for each aspect, but it is ruined by throwing all the results of calculations together on the last tab. Add an additional tab to have final calculation and make that printable or download able as a pdf for phones to email or what have you.
    6) If you could add the weights or percentages to the Fats/Oils tab as you type in the percentage it calculates weight in real time.
    7) Add the ability to use a custom fat adding SAP (and other properties if known).
    8) Not sure why your Oils tab has a header of "6 - Select Oils" none of the other tans are numbered.
    9) Oil superfat is at best redundant at worst wrong if using a butter, plain "Superfat" is fine.
    10) The Superfat after cook checkbox is wrong, I believe. You mean to say it will tell you amount of fat to add after cook.
    11) A place to note or add in additives. While not part of the Lye calculation, it helps if you print the recipe and keep it in a notebook or keep it as a file on your computer.

Hope this helps, seems like a fun calculator that would be a step up from the ones I uses.

20. Sep 29, 2018 #60

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

One more vote for having all the info in one page instead of several tabs.
    I used grams so no issues there.

I used it on my phone (iphone 8) and the issue i have is that, i select the oil and then i go to write the %, it all goes well, i click “done” and then i have to resize the page to the smallest size (by pinching the screen) because if i dont do that the default size makes it hard to scroll down the list of oils because it scrolls down the whole page, not just the oils. I figured it out by the second oil i input, and i dont really know if you can do anything about that since that is something the phone does, but i thought about putting it out there.

I also selected castor oil, but on the “fatty acids %” it doesnt show the “ricinoleic”.

It also would be usefull to be able to click on the properties to see what do you mean by “stable”, or “longevity” or “ins” since a lot of people dont know what that means. Also i am not sure what you mean by telling me how “stable” it is, but that might be just me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.