Need Rapid Testing / Suggestions Now

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, Sep 28, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 15, 2018 #321

Lankan

Lankan

Lankan

Can we login to the soap calc with the SMF login details or need to create a new one

2. Oct 15, 2018 #322

Admin

Admin

Admin

Staff Member Admin

You need to create a new login, the databases aren't synced in anyway.

3. Oct 15, 2018 #323

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

I seem to be unable to register. I click the register button after entering my information and it does nothing. The entry window stays open.

Admin likes this.
  4. Oct 15, 2018 #324

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

What browser are you using, and are you using an iPad/desktop/phone?

5. Oct 15, 2018 #325

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Google Chrome on desktop. Is there a popup after registering? It just occurred to me that maybe the popup isn't getting through the firewall.

6. Oct 15, 2018 #326

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

No, you click "register" and then you get a note to check your email to log in. Or are you trying to log in with Facebook or Google?

7. Oct 15, 2018 #327

MadTeddyBear

MadTeddyBear

MadTeddyBear

Supporting Member

A bit of background, I'm am very new to soap making and right now I'm just trying to make my first go-to recipe. Many of features in the calculator are things that I don't need or don't understand (yet), so I don't know if anything I'm suggesting would make the calculator harder to use for a veteran soap maker. Some of the details are a bit technical but your developer would understand it (if you decide to use any of it). Hopefully some of this will be usable/helpful.

Quality of Life Changes:
    • I don't often change any of the Steps 1 through 5 between recipes. It would help to save the options selected to my account, either automatically or with an explicit option to save current settings as defaults. For example, I'm currently using a 2:1 Liquid: Lye ratio, percentages, and ounces for one type of mold and those values will not change for any of my recipes for the foreseeable future.
    • On step 2, shortening/abbreviating the units prevents the radio options from wrapping on a small screen
    Abbrevs.JPG
    • On a mobile device: After adding an oil to a recipe the focus shifts down to the newly added texbox which is hidden behind the soft keyboard. To see what I'm entering I have to close the keyboard, scroll down, and re-select the text box. Putting the recipe above the search box would be easier to work with.
    • For me the most important information that I want to see is the Oils, Fats and Waxes section in the left column and the Recipe Totals/Properties/Fatty Acids in the right column. I would prefer to have as much of that information viewable immediately and without scrolling.
    Here are the changes that I would make (if it were my decision)
    Left Column
    • Added padding-top: 24px to div id="results" (brings "Recipe Totals" in line with recipe name in left column)
    • Moved Oils, Fats and Waxes section to top
    Right Column
    • Change CSS Style ".sf-calc-results .table td, .sf-calc-results .table th"
      • padding: 7px 12px -> 5px 12px
    • Move "Recipe Oils, Fats, and Waxes" section below "Fatty Acids %" in right column
    • Delete third column from Recipe Totals and Recipe Properties
    • Changed unit names to abbreviations (Ounces -> oz)
    • Delete rows for Superfat, Lye Concentration, Liquid: Lye Ratio. These values are redundant and can be set/found in left column
    • Change "Recipe Oils, Fats, and Waxes" to three columns. Only use unit of measure that's selected in recipe
    Original Layout: OriginalLayout.JPG

Modified Layout (same window dimensions): ModifiedLayout.JPG

Bugs:
    • Deleting (or entering 0) in "Oils: total" with completed recipe throws division by zero exceptions
    DivideByZero.PNG
    • Changing "Oils: total" after entering a recipe does not update. In screenshot the original values (16oz) and the bottom shows the correct updated values (11oz)
    NotUpdating.JPG
    • Select Oils properties tooltip can be clipped by bottom of the body if Step 6 has shrunk (filtering for an oil)
    CroppedValues.jpg

Alfa_Lazcares likes this.
  8. Oct 15, 2018 #328

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

GREAT feedback- thank you so much.
    As far as the layout, there are some reasons it's laid out as it is. One is that most people choose the type of soap first, their mold size, lye choice, liquid, etc, and then create the recipe so it's laid below. Also, the reason for multiple choices in the final is because I weigh my oils by ounces, but my lye by grams (more accurate for smaller measurements). We of course are open to changing that if most would like it changed.

I reported the bugs- thank you so much!

9. Oct 15, 2018 #329

MadTeddyBear

MadTeddyBear

MadTeddyBear

Supporting Member

Another thing that I noticed is that it's a bit awkward if you want to change a recipe. As it is you have to load the recipe, make changes, save with a new name, delete the original recipe, then rename the new recipe. It would be easier to work with if the save button was split into "Save" to change the current recipe and "Save As" to create a new one. I'm also not sure if it's a bug or not, but I was expecting the "New recipe" text at the top to change if you were using one of your saved recipes.

I want to preface this next part by saying that I love the calculator and I've been using it exclusively since I found it. I'm only nitpicking because I know how important looking at every little detail can be in a project like this.

Another option is to let the user customize the layout themselves.

A feature I've worked on elsewhere is the ability to save a snapshot of a page as a new default. This would include anything the user can change (layout, data, search criteria). Whenever the user opens that page again it brings it up exactly as it was. In this case it would even include things like custom additives and selected oils. If a default configuration was saved there would be another button that reverts everything back to the global defaults.

Adding the save defaults feature along with being able rearrange the Steps or Output would let a user perfectly tailor the calculator to their needs, and to adjust as necessary if their needs change.

Admittedly this would be a significant change and may not add enough benefit to justify it. Right now the layout is very natural and intuitive and should be left as is, especially if this is what most people are using.

The biggest reason for switching to using only one measurement is the amount of screen real estate that's taken up by having the extra column. If you take my example with those three oils you'll be using 779px height with the current layout. If you only remove the grams column (and make none of the other changes I mentioned) then that total drops to 590px since none of the rows in either table have wrapped text.

With an example recipe I tested the NaOH weight is 4.34oz and 123.07g on the calculator. Converting 4.34oz to grams via Google gives 123.04g, which is .03g less than the calculating grams directly.

By including both measurements you're using 32% more space to see a 0.02% difference in weight accuracy without having to toggle between grams and ounces. I'd argue that you're losing too much to show both. A possibly better option is including a "Unit" radio button for the lye measurements.

Admin likes this.
  10. Oct 16, 2018 #330

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

I left all of the defaults and entered one oil (at 100%) and got these errors.

I've tried a few different selections, same errors, so perhaps I've caught you between versions? (That's not something new! :cool:) ... I'll come back later maybe.

20181016_PHP error.png

11. Oct 16, 2018 #331

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

One thing ... I've noticed that you've set the default water amount back to a lot of water (2.5 : 1) as the default, instead of the 2:1 (roughly) that a lot of us use.

And being bothered by that made me think that I would like to have my own set of default values ... if I have an account, why not, eh? :)

If there is a "Set as default" button (which could be re-done at any time), it should include the first 5 groups (able to set account defaults for type of soap, the units, the liquid values, the superfat and the fragrance selections).

12. Oct 16, 2018 #332

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I got the same error as above.

Also, batch weight is again going beyond mold capacity amount...

Lastly, it might be coz you guys are still tweaking but the calc doesn't want to remember me lol I have to login each time, which is now everyday for about a week I think.

artemis likes this.
  13. Oct 16, 2018 #333

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

Thanks for your great help , all reported bugs have been fixed

Dawni likes this.
  14. Oct 16, 2018 #334

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Yey.. Back to normal for me!
    I'll report back tomorrow if I'll be remembered this time lol

Question for the experienced soapers here, not so much a suggestion for the calc (yet)...

Let's say I'm a newbie who did my research on fatty acids, but I don't want to rely on the recommended number range for properties (bubbly, hardness, etc.).. Is there or could there be a recommended set/range of numbers for the fatty acids?

I read DeeAnna's posts about this but I find myself switching back n forth between those and the calc because I can't remember if I should up stearic and reduce oleic (for example).

Or are there too many ideals to make a range for this?

15. Oct 16, 2018 #335

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

I recommend starting a new thread in the lye based forum with this question. I think it will reach a wider audience that way and be more likely to find the answers you're looking for.

Dawni likes this.
  16. Oct 16, 2018 #336

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Nope, trying to register with email. I get nothing after I click register. It sits on the window with information entered.

17. Oct 16, 2018 #337

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

You're right....... I did think about it, but I asked in relation to this soap calc so I thought I'd post it here first. I'll rephrase it and post it there then, especially regarding the last bit.

18. Oct 16, 2018 #338

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

How can I reproduce this ?
    Thank you

19. Oct 16, 2018 #339

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Sorry, I'm not sure if I understood your question.

Please see this screenshot:
    _20181017_005937.JPG
    I entered as mold capacity, 1200.

Earlier my total batch weight in results was going over 1200.
    _20181017_005839.JPG

But I just checked now after you said bugs were fixed and it seems to be OK now.
    _20181017_010000.JPG

20. Oct 16, 2018 #340

steffamarie

steffamarie

steffamarie

Are we able to build in an option to replace liquid for additives? For example, I use aloe juice. I would love to be able to tell it that I wanted that to be my extra liquid added to my masterbatched lye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.