Need Rapid Testing / Suggestions Now

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, Sep 28, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 12, 2018 #301

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

1. Thanks- that's great advice.
    2. Yes, I agree- but when you're not masterbatching, "additional liquid" was weird because it was the ONLY liquid, so that's why we took it out. I wonder how we could word this to be clear in both cases?

2. Oct 12, 2018 #302

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

@Yooper does "total" need to be in recipe? The header already says Recipe Totals so it seems redundant to include that in some of the descriptions.
    upload_2018-10-12_9-48-10.png

Question for others testing the program without masterbatching: would it cause confusion to remove the 'extra' word Total from the highlighted fields above? To me, it wouldn't be confusing because the header says Recipe Totals so that tells me that everything below is the full amount of the recipe.

For masterbatchers:
    Does it still make sense for masterbatching to just say Liquid Required and Masterbatch Lye Weight? To me it's clearer without "total" that Liquid Required is how much I need to add in addition to my masterbatch lye.
    upload_2018-10-12_9-51-54.png

3. Oct 12, 2018 #303

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

As I played with the calculator today, I thought back to when I first used a lye/soaping calculator. At the time, I found it very intimating. I was wondering: is it possible to have a few simple recipes preset somewhere that a beginner could use either for a first batch of soap, or as a starting point for their first recipe? Maybe one would be a lard recipe, another could be vegan, and another palm free... Just a thought.

Nanditasr, Yooper and Admin like this.
  4. Oct 12, 2018 #304

Admin

Admin

Admin

Staff Member Admin

Yea we could do that. Does anyone else support this? Not sure how in demand it is.

5. Oct 12, 2018 #305

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

Supporting Member

Okay, haven't been making soap lately but today I put together a bunch of batches. I always list the oils, lye and water amounts on each pot before stowing them on the shelf so I finally had a chance to check out the calc. I like it! Only thing I found wrong was when I printed out the recipe there was "Soapmaking Friend" in bold black letters across the top..

6. Oct 12, 2018 #306

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

Hmmmm, I think you're right. Let's just say "liquid required" instead of "additional" or "total"? I think that would alleviate all of the ambiguity.

Yes, I think a few basic recipes showing how the calculator works would be great. That way, someone search for soap recipes would also find our site and have some examples for basic easy soaps with easy to source ingredients.

We are still working on the print portion, and it's a work in progress. I'll keep everyone informed when we think it's just about set, so we can double check it.

SoaperForLife and artemis like this.
  7. Oct 12, 2018 #307

Nanditasr

Nanditasr

Nanditasr

Perhaps we can have EITHER

Two lines saying:
    "Total liquid required without masterbatching
    Additional liquid required if masterbatching"

OR

A "tool tip" (on hover) that states the alternative, with the default being total liquid.

8. Oct 12, 2018 #308

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

I had already just suggested the tool tip about 20 minutes ago- but we aren't sure about it. I think the two lines, while helpful, seem to be more confusing.

Nanditasr likes this.
  9. Oct 12, 2018 #309

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

For liquid soapers, do you need the dilution water percentage and amounts on the calculator?

I haven't used one, as I just dilute slowly, until it's right, but do you add the dilutent by a percentage and then wait?

10. Oct 13, 2018 #310

NsMar42111

NsMar42111

NsMar42111

I'm voting yes on some basic receipes....would be great to point people to!

Yooper likes this.
  11. Oct 13, 2018 #311

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I think basic recipes would help us newbies. Maybe have a button that would automatically list for you quantities for a castille soap (least number of fats), one soap that uses a bigger number of fats like 5-6, but customisable to use animal fats or not, palm oil or not, scented or unscented, etc. and all for maybe say 1lb test batches. That way we can try some or all the features of the calc at one go.

Like this? I think it's fine.

Also mold capacity/total batch weight seems to be fixed. Yey!

Screenshot_20181013-113708.png

12. Oct 13, 2018 #312

Nanditasr

Nanditasr

Nanditasr

Oh, sorry; I somehow missed that suggestion from you.
    I hope the tool tip works. If not, how about displaying the appropriate text depending on whether "Masterbatch lye?" is chosen or not?

13. Oct 13, 2018 #313

StoneCottageSoapworks

StoneCottageSoapworks

StoneCottageSoapworks

I don't see "Coconut Fatty Acid" in your ingredients. It is often used in making shaving creams...

Admin likes this.
  14. Oct 13, 2018 #314

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

I haven't seen it in other calculators, but I don't make shaving cream. Can you give us some information on it?

15. Oct 13, 2018 #315

Admin

Admin

Admin

Staff Member Admin

Yea we need suggestions as it comes to shaving creams. What tool do you use now for that?

16. Oct 14, 2018 #316

PamInAZ

PamInAZ

PamInAZ

Its easy to use. I like all the information, since I am a newbie. So all the info you can put out there, the better for me to understand. I like being able to put in percentage, then have it adjust to the amount of oils I want, since I frequently have a recipe but it's not for the amount of oils I want to use. I couldn't log in using my email/pw.
    Agree with everyone about the print.
    And YES to beginner recipes!!

When I played with it, I started out with the Percentages, and entered the amount of oils I wanted to end up with. After I was done, I clicked on the Ounces button in 2) and I would have expected to see the ounces I had from my previous calculations move over to the Selected Oils editable textbox. But it kept the percentage I had entered and used that as ounces. For example, I had Canola oil at 25% and that translated 7 oz based on my yield of 28 oz oils. When I clicked on Ounces in 2), I would have expected the 7 to move over to the middle box, or really, I would have expected all the OZ column (far right) in the Selected Oils section to move to the middle column. Instead, the tool interpreted that the previous 25% now meant 25 oz. With other soap calculators i have used, that is what happens. Does that make sense?

I do like this!

Admin likes this.
  17. Oct 14, 2018 #317

Admin

Admin

Admin

Staff Member Admin

Sure, I could see value in being able to alter back and forth. @Yooper

18. Oct 14, 2018 #318

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

I agree that's annoying that it changed my oil weights to what the percentages had been. I hadn't tried clicking percentages after in putting my oil weights, but I could see doing it occasionally.

19. Oct 14, 2018 #319

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

This should be fine now

20. Oct 15, 2018 #320

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I like this! Helps a lot when one doesn't need to go calculate mold capacity elsewhere. Thanks!
    _20181015_152916.JPG
    I also like this! Helps with not needing to scroll down every time to know the needed oil weight. I noticed it changes later below to account for caustic soda, liquid, etc. but at least here I can get an estimate, in case I'm working with what I have on hand only. Thanks again!
    _20181015_153150.JPG
    _20181015_153511.JPG

Admin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.