Need Rapid Testing / Suggestions Now

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, Sep 28, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2018 #241

NsMar42111

NsMar42111

NsMar42111

No problem getting registered. Wondering if we'll be able to save recipes since we are registered?

Admin likes this.
  2. Oct 8, 2018 #242

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

this won't happen with newly saved recipes .

3. Oct 8, 2018 #243

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

Yes , you can try with the save button

NsMar42111 likes this.
  4. Oct 8, 2018 #244

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

The email buttons don't do anything (no email is sent when I clicked on getting my username sent or get an activation email).
    Thanks for the login - I didn't get an activation email (I'm guessing you did this for me?)

It does not indicate what account name I am logged in under.

Clear Recipe doesn't do anything

The default is current set to superfat after cook ON (the standard is to include the "superfat" in the recipe, this should be an option, with the default as OFF)

5. Oct 9, 2018 #245

Admin

Admin

Admin

Staff Member Admin

So in addition to this calculator, we need a Fragrance Calculator, yes?

Besides Fragrance Calculator and Soapmaking Calculator, any other calculators you all use?

What Fragrance Calculator do you currently use?

6. Oct 9, 2018 #246

Soapaddict_Kay

Soapaddict_Kay

Soapaddict_Kay

Like it so far - my favorite soap calculator is soap calc pro - I could not save it though. Like the print option, don’t have that with other program (I usually take a screenshot and print that but it’s ink intense). What I would like to see is where my oil selection does not meet recommended range - it’s highlighted yellow in soap calc and orange if I am out of range. I used the calculator on my phone, not on PC and it was pretty forward. I would like the option to click on oil within list and see value of oil.

7. Oct 9, 2018 #247

Lankan

Lankan

Lankan

Hi, Don't know my request below is totally off the conversation. I prefer to avoid weighing the KOH or NaOH, and instead of use the entire quantity to prepare the lye solution and use it on the required amount of oils (on a % blend). It's kind of a reverse computation, where based on the lye amount we need to find out the amount of oils required. Can this option be incorporated in to the calc. this would be a safer method to dealing with lye for many.

8. Oct 9, 2018 #248

szaza

szaza

szaza

It's been a week since I first tried the calculator and wow what a difference! Well done on all the improvements!
    Since I mainly use EO's I use EOcalc which is great! It would be wonderful if a fragrance and EO calculator could be incorporated in the lye calculator!

I also often use additives like Citric acid (i have very hard water and CA is cheaper than sodium citrate which is made when you add lye to it) problem is, I always have to recalculate my lye after I make the recipe. If soapmakingfriend would include a calculator that does this for you that would be awesome! CA is an example, but other substances like various citrus juices, vinegar/ACV, lactic acid,.. also need the same treatment of recalculating lye. You could even include additives that contain fat like milks/yoghurts to compensate for the added superfat.

One last thing, I'm not sure if this is something others also have issues with or only I have trouble with, but I often look at the fatty acid profile of a recipe I'm creating and having the fats in alphabetical order is confusing to me. I prefer to have them ordered according to their shape and function in soap like in soapcalc (lauric-myristic-palmitic-stearic-ricinoleic-oleic-linoleic-linolenic).

LiLiSoapz and Nanditasr like this.
  9. Oct 9, 2018 #249

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

Math friends- for the citric acid calculation, I have a note that I add .6246 grams lye, additional for 2% citric acid.
    That is, for a 2# batch total weight, I add 18 grams citric acid and 11 grams NaOH.

But.........I have no idea where I got that from, or what the formula to neutralize actually IS. In order to suggest it added to the soap calculator, I would like to get the actual calculations.

The same with vinegar, or other acids. Does anybody have the source to get these calculations (or the math to show), so I can help out with getting that in place?

10. Oct 9, 2018 #250

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

Also, I asked about masterbatching in the main forum, but didn't really get anything helpful for the calculator.
    I believe that the masterbatched lye in most cases is 50%(?). When you use this liquid then, what is your procedure for doing so, say when you are using soap calc? I want to be able to follow the procedure, since I've never done it, and we'd like to have it in the calculator.

11. Oct 9, 2018 #251

Steve85569

Steve85569

Steve85569

Supporting Member

As has been mentioned in the several pages this thread now covers...
    There are several that would like to be able to add citric acid or vinegar to their recipe and have the extra alkali needed included in the calculations.
    I know. One more Bolean logic branch. There is always the need for just one more with these things.

Looking good so far. I admire your programming skills.

LiLiSoapz and Admin like this.
  12. Oct 9, 2018 #252

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

I am currently reading through the comments so as not to be redundant, but there are a few notes that I have to add that I have seen others bring up in September.

So at the cost of redundancy:

I love the look and layout. It is not sterile yet refreshingly not distracting either.

Is there a way to do water discounts? In case you would like to utilize some water for coloring, etc.

A place to calculate the type of add ins that effect the lye or water, such as citric acid.

A place to write notes

A way to enter the amount of oils and change it without reinputting the entire recipe.

Perhaps an experimentation area (reverse calculator), where you can place qualities of soap in and it recommends oils/ add ins from a checklist that you input.

I like to see both percentages, grams and ounces on the final calculation.

Is there a saponification difference in rendered lard and Manteca due to their add ins? If so, can we have a plain lard listing? If not, please disregard. (Never mind, Manteca is Spanish for Lard, I foolishly thought it was a brand.)

I will experiment further in the coming days.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  13. Oct 10, 2018 #253

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

Ok, I can save a recipe but when I load it, the batch size to include liquid and oils is automatically turned back on and it messes the whole recipe up. I saved the recipe a number of times with the batch size to include liquid and oils turned off and it just won't save like that.

As far as calculators go, I'd love a lotion one.

NsMar42111 likes this.
  14. Oct 10, 2018 #254

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

The soapcalc lists them closer to the carbon chain length order - I also don't like them in alphabetical order.

I've got the calculations/specs for this, but I don't have time to expand it for you right now.
    If @DeeAnna doesn't provide it for you beforehand, I'll come back to this for you later.

I've added further (very detailed) specifications for you in the masterbatch thread.

Yooper, Nanditasr and Admin like this.
  15. Oct 10, 2018 #255

Primrose

Primrose

Primrose

You may know this already - but registering through facebook doesnt work

Alfa_Lazcares likes this.
  16. Oct 10, 2018 #256

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

@Yooper and @SaltedFig -- is this what you want? I haven't been following the discussion, just reading enough to get the most recent context, so I hope I'm not too off base with this --

Typical dosage is 10 g to 30 g citric acid powder for every 1,000 g fats (1% to 3% ppo). Use more for hard water, less for soft.

When making soap using NaOH (sodium hydroxide), calculate the extra NaOH needed this way:

Decide the percent of citric acid to use. If you are not sure, I suggest 2% ppo (20 grams citric acid per 1000 grams of fats).

Find how many grams of fat are in the soap recipe.

Calculate the citric acid weight:

Citric acid weight, grams = Fat weight, grams X 2 / 100

If you are using a dosage other than 2% ppo, replace the "2" in the formula above with the percentage you are actually using.​

Calculate the NaOH needed to neutralize the citric acid:

NaOH for citric acid, grams = Citric acid weight, grams X 6.24 / 10​

Calculate the total NaOH for your recipe:

Total NaOH, grams = NaOH for citric acid, grams + NaOH for saponification, grams​

The 6.24 factor for NaOH changes to 8.42 for KOH.

More: https://classicbells.com/soap/citricAcid.html

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Nanditasr and LiLiSoapz like this.
  17. Oct 10, 2018 #257

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

That would be perfect to add into the calculator. I am grateful for all of the work you placed into your website and the above information. I have been using your calculations in my several batches, and love using Citric acid for my hard water and as a preservative.

DeeAnna likes this.
  18. Oct 10, 2018 #258

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

Thank you to the developers for reaching out and making a cool soap calculator, I am excited!

19. Oct 10, 2018 #259

VanAshwood

VanAshwood

VanAshwood

I haven't read all of the comments, so I may have missed it if someone else has mentioned this, but is there a way to add a place for things like sodium lactate or stearic acid? Not necessary and may be too much work, was just curious.

Just saw that you can add stearic acid in the oils and waxes portion.

20. Oct 10, 2018 #260

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

Thanks for reporting .. this was fixed

Obsidian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.