Need More Help on Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lehma2

Reaction score
Hi, I've made several batches of lye soap. Love it, but I leave the batches in the glass molds for, like, a week. They are really hard to get out of the molds. I've used lard, olive oil spray, but the soaps are often in the molds for the long haul. I really don't know what to put on the molds to help release the soap, when to release them from the molds, or anything. (No, my kids are still not allowed to call me a lard-ass.)

What glass containers are you using?

When I was using hard plastic rectangular molds that I couldn't line with paper, I used Saran Wrap to good effect.

I have no experience with glass molds - normally you'd want a something lined with freezer paper/plastic wrap that can be removed or a silicone liner that has some give.

You really cannot lubricate a mold with a carrier oil as that oil will just saponify to the sides. Mineral Oil is a good lubricant.

When you're using something as a mold that has no give you definitely need to line it with something. I use freezer paper with the shiney side in. One time I forgot to line my mold and didn't realize it until I was ready to pour. I sprinted to my kitchen and grabbed a plastic garbage bag, shoved it in and poured. My soap didn't look pretty but it did the trick just fine.

On page one of the "Lye Based Soap Forum" are 2 stickies that will give you a tutorial on one way to line a mold with freezer paper. They say "for wooden molds" but the same principal will apply to any hard mold. Here they are:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30362

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30363

Glad press 'n seal, parchment , saran wrap ( or generics) all work and the lye doesn't eat them. Mineral oil is about the only oil that lye doesn't react with.
WEAR GLOVES.
Bread pans or cake pane LINED work until you can get something that's more convenient.

Welcome to the forum too.

Wow! Thank you all so much, and such quick responses! I will try the Saran Wrap. I was concerned that it would leave krinkly lines in the soap. Here is a picture of what I've been using for molds. 3.5 inch round dessert cups. They are the perfect size for me as a hand soap, but as you can see not all the soaps make it out alive.

DSC_0080.jpg

Glass or hard plastic has no give, so it is hard to remove soap from those molds. You can buy individual silicone molds for a reasonable price. If that is not an option try a Pringles can, lined with freezer paper or a Velveeta-type cheese box or any small box, lined with freezer paper.

Wow! Thank you all so much, and such quick responses! I will try the Saran Wrap. I was concerned that it would leave krinkly lines in the soap. Here is a picture of what I've been using for molds. 3.5 inch round dessert cups. They are the perfect size for me as a hand soap, but as you can see not all the soaps make it out alive.

Cling film can and will leave little lines around curves, but I guarantee your soap will come out :) Otherwise you can try mineral oil and the freezer, but no guarantees.

I should have mentioned this... over time lye can etch glass (tiny cracks you really cannot see). This can cause the glass to suddenly shatter. That's why it's recommended to avoid glass and Pryex containers when working with lye.

Plastic containers with a 2 or 5 at the bottom are fine.

My first soap mold was a quart milk carton, washed and dried, soap poured almost to the top, then the top folded closed again. When ready, you can tear the carton away, leaving you with a nice, square soap. You either need a mold with some give to it, or a mold that you can line, or something you can tear away like a milk carton or a Pringles can.

Back