Need ideas for designing the ultimate soap room

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srenee

Reaction score
Hey friends. I am moving to our new home this week. I am so excited because I have an entire basement/carport that's bricked in to make a huge room. It also has a room within the basement for an office already wired for phone and computer. It's concrete flooring, so I need to do something for long hours on my feet. It has water to add a sink too. I want to get some ideas to make this room totally user-friendly for soap and candle making. I was looking at stainless steel shelves for curing soaps on one wall, but they are ridiculously expensive even on ebay. So may have to go with chrome. Can you guys suggest some ideas? If you could have a huge room to do your soaping, what would you have? It's about the size of a large 2 car carport except with an extra room attached.

Thanks for your help.

Deda has a really nice soap set up & here are pictures posted somewhere on here, I'm not sure how to find them .

Thanks. I'll do a search. Can't believe I have 2 rooms to set up just for me and my soapmaking. :)

I don't have chrome shelves and I am not sure that it makes a big difference but I have a 5 tier shelf what I purchased at Lowe's for about $40.00. I have two of them in my soap room and they are pretty deep so they hold about 36 bars on each shelf.

Thanks. I will check it out. I've been pricing between ebay, Craigslist and a couple of local ads here. Darn was at Lowes today buying paint and totally forgot to check out the shelving. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Fun to design your space. I don't know what your budget is, but mine was low. I hung a heavy pvc bar above my work space, screwed hooks into it, and hang my pots up on that. That is the top bar, hanging below that is another bar with S hooks that hold my utensils. It really keeps everything within easy reach while I am working.

That's a good idea, especially when you think about all the utensils you have to use.

About your flooring, check out in either a large surface store or hardware store, they have squares of 'anti-fatigue' flooring that you could purchase. You could probably buy a few tiles of the stuff (I believe it's a type of foam) and just place it where you'll be standing most. I don't know if kids foam play flooring might work for you. Considering you'll work with lye and might have some splashes, check to see what the resistance of the material is, or go with something inexpensive so you can replace a tile here or there if it gets too damaged.

I wonder if Lowes has this. I'll check it out. My husband mentioned possibly truck liners made of rubber. Not sure that may still seem hard on the joints and back. I'll price around. I thought about a foam but the lye may burn clear through it, or may be hard to mop. Decisions, decisions...

Hi really very nice soapmaking....
Your design junction I like very well.
Thanks for your sharing...///

spammy link deleted - the mod team

Pictures of the Luxuriously Natural Soaps Remodeling Project

Here's a rough look at what I am starting from. We just moved here so still unpacking, painting, etc. Here I haven't organized yet, just pulled out stuff and sorted a little. I am planning on totally remodeling both the office and the soaping room. Thanks to some friends for offering tips on where to buy racks, etc. I plan on filling one wall with the white racks, sheetrocking walls and ceiling, floor padding, a sink and a few other things. But this is what I have to start. Sorry for the glare of the window. Taken with a blackberry. What do you think?

soaproom1.jpg

soaproom.jpg

washarea.jpg

soaprm3.jpg

shipsection.png

officeandsoprm.jpg

office.jpg

All of this is being done in a bricked in 2 car carport that someone had started to convert to an office and workshop. Any ideas to prevent moisture? Looking forward to the remodel but not the spending part of it.. :)

Shelves above your work bench is always very useful. A big sink to wash your all your pots is crucial as I have a corner of my hubbys shed and it has a tiny sink which drives me crazy!
Also a cabinet that is vermon proof to store any additives for your soap that the mice might like to taste.

Latest posts

Back