Need help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otto_Warsaw

Reaction score
Hello to all!

I have a problem with wicks and wax.

Recently bought a wooden round wick.
It looks great, burns great too, but as it burns, the wax begins to gradually turn dark (photos below). This does not happen with an ordinary wick, the wax remains light throughout the life of the candle. Please help me figure it out. Is this the norm or is it better to look for other wicks?

There is also a wax problem. After I fill in the candle and it cools down, over time, the wax begins to rise like a cake in the oven (photos are also below). I suspect that this is from a lot of scents but it is not certain.
How to be in such a situation?

Attachments

• photo_2021-11-01_12-42-38.jpg
    photo_2021-11-01_12-42-38.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 15
  • photo_2022-01-10_22-54-28 (2).jpg
    photo_2022-01-10_22-54-28 (2).jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 16
  • photo_2022-01-10_22-54-28.jpg
    photo_2022-01-10_22-54-28.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 13
  • photo_2022-01-11_05-07-15.jpg
    photo_2022-01-11_05-07-15.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 14
Hello, I sent you a private message. Not related to your post, but please read it if you could.

And welcome to the forum, I wish I could help with your candle question, but I am very much a new candle maker. But this is a great place to learn.

If you have a nice stable flame and good burn, then the discolored wax is from the tannins in the wood. Very common.

Can you explain the "rising wax" better? It rises AFTER the flame is out, and as the wax cools? Do you have a picture of that candle before the burn? I'm wondering if the candle was too full before you lit it.

If you have a nice stable flame and good burn, then the discolored wax is from the tannins in the wood. Very common.

Can you explain the "rising wax" better? It rises AFTER the flame is out, and as the wax cools? Do you have a picture of that candle before the burn? I'm wondering if the candle was too full before you lit it.

Good morning,

thanks for answering me.

About the color. Is it completely normal for the wax on top to turn brown from the wood wick? The flame from this wick is good - not big and not small, the wax is completely melted at the top.

About rising wax. The candle is poured in accordance with the instructions and temperature compliance. The wax is reliable and I have no complaints about it. After filling the candle, the wax behaves normally, but after 2 weeks it suddenly rose. I have two guesses why this could happen: 1) I recently ventilated the apartment and there was a subzero temperature outside 2) for this wax 10% fragrance is a lot and needs to be lowered

Photos of candles below

Attachments

• photo_2022-01-11_07-13-43 (2).jpg
    photo_2022-01-11_07-13-43 (2).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 13
  • photo_2022-01-11_07-13-43 (3).jpg
    photo_2022-01-11_07-13-43 (3).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 13
  • photo_2022-01-11_07-13-43.jpg
    photo_2022-01-11_07-13-43.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 13
  • photo_2022-01-11_07-13-44.jpg
    photo_2022-01-11_07-13-44.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 13
Yes, its normal for the wood wick to discolor the wax. It's the tannins in the wood that cause it. I use flat wood wicks all the time and they all have this discoloration. I contacted the Wood Wick Co., and they said it was normal.

I have no idea why the wax rose up in such a strange manner - the extreme cold is a possible reason. But, I don't think the 10% fragrance load is the problem - you would most likely have seen the problem right away because the fragrance oil usually "weeps" or separates from the wax and makes little pools on the top.

I'm wondering if moisture is the issue. During the freezing and thawing moisture could have gotten into the wax. Or, is it just chemistry? The freeze altered the chemical structure of the wax?

May I ask what kind of wax it is?

Yes, its normal for the wood wick to discolor the wax. It's the tannins in the wood that cause it. I use flat wood wicks all the time and they all have this discoloration. I contacted the Wood Wick Co., and they said it was normal.

I have no idea why the wax rose up in such a strange manner - the extreme cold is a possible reason. But, I don't think the 10% fragrance load is the problem - you would most likely have seen the problem right away because the fragrance oil usually "weeps" or separates from the wax and makes little pools on the top.

I'm wondering if moisture is the issue. During the freezing and thawing moisture could have gotten into the wax. Or, is it just chemistry? The freeze altered the chemical structure of the wax?

May I ask what kind of wax it is?

Thanks for your reply about the wick.

I use CB 135 wax.

I will try to reduce the amount of fragrances and keep the candles in a closed room without curtains.
Perhaps this will help and there will be some result.

Back