Need Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a loaf overheat today. It got to a temp of 220 in a matter of minutes. I believe it was a combination of an accelerating FO and soaping over 100 degrees although I have used this FO in the past and had success. I got it cooled off and tried to cut it after 8 hours and it was hard as a rock and brittle. Can I put this in the oven to soften it or do I need to shred and rebatch? First time this has happened.
ETA. There was no cracking and no other signs of overheating like tunnels, weeping etc.

Last edited:
Awe Naooooo! If it were me, after I'd had some ice cream, I'd try to soften it in the oven first, only because it's easier and faster than rebatching. But, then again, I wonder if it would soften enough in the oven to remold and also if it would just overheat again. Oh my.

Awe Naooooo! If it were me, after I'd had some ice cream, I'd try to soften it in the oven first, only because it's easier and faster than rebatching. But, then again, I wonder if it would soften enough in the oven to remold and also if it would just overheat again. Oh my.

I put it back in the mold. As soon as I tried to cut it I realized it wasn’t going to happen. It’s in a wooden mold with a silicon liner.
image.jpg

It behaved as I imagine a 100% coconut oil soap behaves although this is my basic recipe with 30% lard, CO, PO, RBO, etc...
If this is your basic recipe, and you've used this FO before then, as you hinted, it must indeed be down to your soaping temp. What have you decided to do first to save it?

You know....you might be able to pop it in the oven to soften it just enough to cut. I've done that when I waited too long to cut. It's a real hovering operation, but it's worked for me a few times.

How long and at what temperature did you set the oven? I’m so bummed! 230 batches of soap and my first real issue.

How long and at what temperature did you set the oven? I’m so bummed! 230 batches of soap and my first real issue.
I set my oven to its lowest temp, which for me is 170F, as though I was CPOPing. How long varies. I take a peek every 10 or 15 minutes and when it looks as though it's starting to soften/gel on top, I take it out. I don't think it's ever taken more than 45 minutes for this to happen, but it's been a few moons (now watch me wait too long on my next batch! lol). Then I hover again with more 10-15 minute checking until it's just cool enough that I can rest an ungloved hand on the mold without recoiling. On the inner mold in your case. Then I glove up and cut. It's usually pretty warm still and can feel rubbery, but it usually cuts like buttah. I also stack and then wrap the bars in plastic until they're completely cooled to prevent ash, but I don't know if that's really necessary or just my OCB.

@Jersey Girl I've had success doing pretty much as @KimW outlined above, only I set my oven on 200F, and it took about 20-30 minutes to soften.

I wish you the best of luck!! Considering your track record of 230 batches without a "real issue," let alone a fail, I have full confidence that this soap will not be the one to break your winning streak. 😉

I put it back in the mold. As soon as I tried to cut it I realized it wasn’t going to happen. It’s in a wooden mold with a silicon liner. View attachment 56637
On a positive note' I love the top looks beautiful. Good luck w/ warming & cutting' fingers crossed it works out for you. 😉👍🏼

Your soapy adventure crossed my mind. What did you end up doing?

The next morning after thinking it over, I ended up tossing it. It was a Nurture 2 lb mold with one of the really thin silicon liners and I was afraid it may damage the liner. That and the fact that I had things to do that day so couldn’t take the time. I do appreciate your help. It’s nice to know that the oven could work saving a future batch. 😁

Back