Need help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melikedi

Reaction score
Hello everyone 👋🏻
What happened to my batch and why? If anyone can tell me something about why it’s been happened and (if possible) how can I save my soap?
Thanks so much in advance 🙏🏻

Attachments

• 9B8FD4D3-CCEE-47D6-A823-BCB29A22396D.jpeg
    9B8FD4D3-CCEE-47D6-A823-BCB29A22396D.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 44106C4F-AFBB-40B9-A56D-C6E38645F43F.jpeg
    44106C4F-AFBB-40B9-A56D-C6E38645F43F.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 100D20DE-78AF-46C1-9A6B-A91FD6D5DAE3.jpeg
    100D20DE-78AF-46C1-9A6B-A91FD6D5DAE3.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 27
Thank you The Efficacious Gentlemen for your answer. Here is my recipe:

175 grams castor oil
495 grams coconut oil
637 grams olive oil
478 grams palm oil

678 grams water
253 grams lye-NaOH

Before this batch I’ve tried another recipe very similar to this, just replaced olive oil with high oleic sunflower oil.
When I mixed lye solution with oils it suddenly traced and I even didn’t have time to use stick blender enough.

175 grams castor oil
495 grams coconut oil
637 grams olive oil
478 grams palm oil

678 grams water
253 grams lye-NaOH

Before this batch I’ve tried another recipe very similar to this, just replaced olive oil with high oleic sunflower oil.
When I mixed lye solution with oils it suddenly traced and I even didn’t have time to use stick blender enough.
At first glance, I'd say separation, because it looks like oil is pooling on top. Is that what's happened?

Also, when looking for feedback like this, the whole recipe and also a description of the issue helps a lot, rather than just pictures

and both oils and lye solution temperature was 40 degree celcius (100F)

Okay, hold on a minute, which recipe is this? You mention one traced quickly is this the recipe when you used HO Sunflower oil. I will mention neither HO Sunflower Oil or OO will trace quickly and 26% Palm is really not high enough to create a false trace at 100ºF. Is there any added fragrance that could have caused this to overheat and separate? Did you insulate it? It looks more like overheating and separating to me, not false tracing.

I really do not know what everyone is looking at that would be a false trace. Unless this is the batch she mentioned thickened up quickly. I deal with a false trace in all my palm batches because I soap cool with a 40% palm content, I just wait until it warms up then continue on. The batch which she mentioned thickened up quickly could have been a false trace but it is unclear to me which batch this is.

As Lsg mentioned put it in a crock pot and cook it until it comes together.

Yes, I assumed in my response that this was the OO batch that went immediately to trace. If that's not correct, then ignore my answer. :)

No worries, I read the post a few times and thought the sunflower batch was a prior one... but not entirely sure because it can be read either way. Hopefully she can enlighten us.

As an aside, please get better soon!!

175 grams castor oil
495 grams coconut oil
637 grams olive oil
478 grams palm oil

678 grams water
253 grams lye-NaOH

Did you run both recipes through the soap calculator? I think HO Sunflower and OO sap values are both different.

No worries, I read the post a few times and thought the sunflower batch was a prior one... but not entirely sure because it can be read either way. Hopefully she can enlighten us.

As an aside, please get better soon!!
The prior batch is with HO sunflower oil. The second one (which I attached the photos) is with olive oil

Okay, hold on a minute, which recipe is this? You mention one traced quickly is this the recipe when you used HO Sunflower oil. I will mention neither HO Sunflower Oil or OO will trace quickly and 26% Palm is really not high enough to create a false trace at 100ºF. Is there any added fragrance that could have caused this to overheat and separate? Did you insulate it? It looks more like overheating and separating to me, not false tracing.

I really do not know what everyone is looking at that would be a false trace. Unless this is the batch she mentioned thickened up quickly. I deal with a false trace in all my palm batches because I soap cool with a 40% palm content, I just wait until it warms up then continue on. The batch which she mentioned thickened up quickly could have been a false trace but it is unclear to me which batch this is.

As Lsg mentioned put it in a crock pot and cook it until it comes together.
This recipe is the one with olive oil. And I took photos the soap with ho sunflower oil ( sudden trace ). It looks a bit sticky but not as much as other one.
I hope you can see the oily surface from this photos.

Attachments

• ED6DCE5E-CD75-4B65-8AA2-BD416609E2FF.jpeg
    ED6DCE5E-CD75-4B65-8AA2-BD416609E2FF.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 14
  • E3604531-6F34-4182-8647-810DCC6C5E00.jpeg
    E3604531-6F34-4182-8647-810DCC6C5E00.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 14
This recipe is the one with olive oil. And I took photos the soap with ho sunflower oil ( sudden trace ). It looks a bit sticky but not as much as other one.
I hope you can see the oily surface from this photos.
P.s. I’ve used cinnamon as colourant

Latest posts

Back