Need Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OliveOil2

Reaction score
I really need to get a new pair of reading glasses, somehow my scale unit measure was hit and I thought I was measuring in ounces and it was grams. I was measuring out the lye, and it seemed like too much. I measured out 788 grams instead of 7.887 ounces. The water amount was a 20.15 and that was measured in ounces. Is there a way to figure out how much more water to add, I am soaping room temp and could use the remaining lye water in another recipe.

I just figured that I used 3.17 times more lye than I needed to, I am trying to figure out how much water to add. So if I have 27.79 ounces of lye I need to have twice that in water, and already count the 20.15 I already put in?

I should know this, but first time using a lye concentration, it came up with 7.83 ounces, I am still confused, this is my lye mixture, but it doesn't seem like enough liquid.

Thank you for your help! I am going to make up the 50% lye solution, and at least I will know it is right. I will just have to figure how much to add. I hope there is a way to fix it, but at least I haven't mixed the lye with the oils.

Juiceman thank you for being there when I was freaking out! It was a soaping nightmare, I was using a new recipe with one oil that I had never used, trying to swirl in my log mold, and maybe I was a bit nervous, first of all I had some static and particles of lye ended up on my scale, luckily I keep my scale in a plastic freezer bag.That is when I realized the measurement was on grams instead of ounces. When I took the scale out of the bag to dispose of the bag, and there was a little water on the counter, my scale stopped working, but a hair dryer fixed that. Yes you are right it is twice the amount of the solution for 50%. So I now know how to use a solution, which is something I should have learned years ago. I am just glad that I was able to have my soap turn out, and not waste a bunch of lye.

Latest posts

Back