Need help with values..please!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soaptana

Reaction score
Hello all. I’m Soultana and I’m a soap addict. This is a great forum and I really appreciate all the information that’s being shared. I’m lousy at intros though, lmao but at least I tried right? Hello!

Ok I have a question

I’ve spent HOURS on SoapCalc trying to come up with a bar that is hard and conditioning. But every time I increase the conditioning the bar gets softer. The best I’ve come up with so far is 44-Hard and 52-Conditioning. Those are the same numbers that keep popping up no matter what I do.

The soap I made is OK but it’s gone in one week tops..and I’m the only one using it! So, is it possible to go higher than 52-conditioning without compromising the 44-hard? Or the other way around? Anyone care to share their conditioning vs. hard numbers? If you don’t want to share that info can you at least tell me if it’s possible to achieve over 44 hard with over 52 condioning? Thank you.

Hi and welcome Soaptana!Your intro sounds like the beginning of a AA meeting! :lol: Most of us here are soap addicts too! 8) Yes it is possible to obtain a hard bar and still raise your conditioning value. One simply way is to up your Olive Oil. It will take a bit longer to cure perhaps, but OO is actually a hard oil in the long run. A castile (100% OO) is a very hard bar of soap. Try upping OO say to at least 35% of your recipe. Adding a little salt to your batter will harden up your bar faster too. There are several ways to do what your wanting to do, but let me tell you, those numbers are not too shabby!

Paul.... :wink:

*SoapMaker Man*

Thank you for the tips and the welcome. Does a harder bar mean a longer lasting bar? I'm more concerned with the longevity of the bar than the firmness.

Where’s the best place to buy sodium lactate? Quality, type, price, shipping time..

*SoapBuddy*

Thank you :D . Lovely website btw! Great source for inspiration.

Generally, yes, a harder bar means a longer lasting bar of soap. I like using a bit of salt in my soaps to harden them. Stearic Acid is another way. Sl is yet another hardening/release agent. SL can be purchased here:

Snowdrift Farms sell liquid SL 60% for about $4.00 per pound. Use at about 5% in soap.
http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/emollients ... tants.html

Or you can buy it dry and mix your own 60% SL solution. Tony's has it for $8.00 per 16 ounces, dry. Here is the link:

http://tonysfragranceoils.com/index.php ... cts_id=169

Paul.... :wink:

Thanks you just saved me $20! :D Other places want double that amount and a few bucks more in shipping costs as well!

Sad thing is the site is down..I wonder how long before it's up and running again :?:

Latest posts

Back