Need help with recipe - what to make?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UlfHH

Reaction score
Three years ago, I made a few batches of CP soap, but since then I have forgotten most of how to combine different oils. Tomorrow I’m going to make two batches. Castile soap (for next christmas) and another one, for which I need some help. I picked up what I could find today, and this is what I have to work with:

Olive oil, palm oil (unrefined), castor oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil and grapeseed oil. I also have a bottle of rancid almond oil, but I guess that is of no use…

I want to make a long-lasting soap, that lathers, and doesn't dry out the skin. So, the question is: can someone help me with a nice recipe?

I have been reading recipes for two hours now, but when I find something I like, I always seem to miss something.

-And I want fragrance in the soap. I have some etheric oils (lavender, tea tree, bergamot, and rosemary). Combine some of them or just pick one (lavender)?

Welcome! Your oils are very close to my basic recipe. Keep castor at 5%, and coconut in the high teens/low 20s, palm at 33%. Sorry to give you more recipes, but search this forum for "holy trinity" and you'll find some good variations. This may help:
Free Beginner's Guide to Soapmaking: Common Soapmaking Oils - Soap Queen .

Also, for usage rates and blend recommendations for essential oils, visit this rabbit hole website, Enter Your Own Blend » EO Calc - Essential Oil Calculator -- everything on that site is delicious.

Good luck and report back!

Back