Need help with formula for shampoo bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLN80

Reaction score
Hi! Me and my daughter have thick and average hair, not oily or dry, and I want to make shampoo bars for us.i have coconut oil, lard, shea butter and castor oil, may I ask what percentages of each would be good?

Oh and I’m using goats milk instead of water

Given how different people react differently to lye based soap for hair I gotta ask if you've tried it before and it works for you...... Because several people on this forum have spoiled their hair after using lye based shampoo bars for an extended period.

I got worried when I tried it for a couple of months so I stopped, but while I was using a lye based one, my scalp was awesome but no conditioner I tried was helping my hair.

Many would suggest using a syndet instead...

But if you still wanna try it, the recommendation I've read says to use very little to no coconut, and that shea isn't great in shampoo. If you search around the forum you'll find recipes that people have tried. Google too ;)

I'm a man and I get a haircut every couple months. As others have said, you may have problems with this but, I've been using this recipe for about a year.with no problems.

20% Castor
30% CO
5% Jojoba
30% Lard
15% OO

5% superfat
Add 5% of oil weight in tea tree oil at trace.

In addition, I use the following leave in rinse while my hair is still wet.

1 cp water
1 tbls apple cider vinegar
6 drops rosemary EO
6 drops tea tree oil

It's possible that the vinegar in the rinse lowers the PH enough that I'm not experiencing the ill effects others have reported. It's also possible I just have different hair.

I you can find other shampoo bar recipes on Soap queen.

https://www.soapqueen.com/?s=Shampoo+bars

Latest posts

Back